Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Speed Read

• 30-07-2004 12:47pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭

Normally I wouldn't lower myself to posting one of these things, but I sometimes like to think of you people as subjects for my own personal research

clicky

My result:

You read between 250 - 300 words per minute. Above-average reading level. (The average rate is between 200 - 250 words per minute.) It is assumed that you did not skim the words nor fail to understand the meaning of what was read.

I over-analysed the words.
    To be honest I thought I would've been below-average_to_average reading speed as I take my time.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

You read between 300 - 350 words per minute. Above-average reading level. (The average rate is between 200 - 250 words per minute.) It is assumed that you did not skim the words nor fail to understand the meaning of what was read.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

You read between 250 - 300 words per minute. Above-average reading level. (The average rate is between 200 - 250 words per minute.) It is assumed that you did not skim the words nor fail to understand the meaning of what was read.

I always thought I was a fast reader :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Repli

Erm..
    You read between 550 - 600 words per minute. Highly efficient reading level. (The average rate is between 200 - 250 words per minute.) It is assumed that you did not skim the words nor fail to understand the meaning of what was read.

honestly!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,234 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

I think I can read faster on paper than I can on a screen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,647 ✭✭✭impr0v

You read between 400 - 450 words per minute. Well above average reading level. (The average rate is between 200 - 250 words per minute.) It is assumed that you did not skim the words nor fail to understand the meaning of what was read.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭Dave

You read between 350 - 400 words per minute. Well above average reading level. (The average rate is between 200 - 250 words per minute.) It is assumed that you did not skim the words nor fail to understand the meaning of what was read.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭tribble

100-150.
    Basic reading ability.

I know I read NEW material (and absorb new ideas) VERY slowly and reading off CRT's kills me. Prefer paper or TFT.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 801 ✭✭✭TheWolf

You read between 550 - 600 words per minute. Highly efficient reading level. (The average rate is between 200 - 250 words per minute.) It is assumed that you did not skim the words nor fail to understand the meaning of what was read.

Always did fly through stuff

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭LoneGunM@n

I found my eyes were starting to go out of focus near the end ... I've always found it harder to read off as screen than off paper!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭Gurgle

350-400
    Meaningless but interesting.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭bus77

250 - 300

Always have to slow myself down when reading to actually comprehend it.

Does anyone remember the ads that used to be on tv late at night, with a little fat fella sitting in front of an "interviewer" trying to sell his speed reading system?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

100-150.

Nyeh. It just means I get more value for money out of a book than you speed reading freaks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

400 - 450

Hum, never knew that. It's harder on a computer methinks. My eyes start going all weird...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,036 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Yeah, my eyes are hurting a bit now after reading all that :(

You read between 450 - 500 words per minute. Well above average reading level. (The average rate is between 200 - 250 words per minute.) It is assumed that you did not skim the words nor fail to understand the meaning of what was read.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 442 ✭✭Hello Kitty

You read between 150 - 200 words per minute. Basic reading ability. (The average rate is between 200 - 250 words per minute.) It is assumed that you did not skim the words nor fail to understand the meaning of what was read.

:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭bus77

H E L L O - K I T T Y :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 432 ✭✭ChumpStain

That seems about right although I think that had it been about 2-3 months ago I would have been alot faster as I was reading books and in school studying for the LC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭ozt9vdujny3srf

-

I'm a fairly slow reader mind, I always take meh time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭p.pete

150 - 200. I guess that confirms what I already knew about my reading ability.

Anyone recommend any books / sites / courses / techniques for improving reading speed?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,986 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

You read between 650 - 700 words per minute. Extremely efficient reading level. (The average rate is between 200 - 250 words per minute.) It is assumed that you did not skim the words nor fail to understand the meaning of what was read.

I've always known I could read fast, I have a weird method. I read the sentance, move onto the next, and then skim throught the previous sentance after I have read the last. I catch every word this way.

How does it work, I dunno,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

You read between 750 - 800 words per minute. Extremely efficient reading level. (The average rate is between 200 - 250 words per minute.) It is assumed that you did not skim the words nor fail to understand the meaning of what was read.

Freaky.

Advertisement