Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BMW 'M' badges

Options
  • 30-07-2004 1:18pm
    Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,468 Mod ✭✭✭✭

So the M3 obviously gets the M3 badge, but what of the other BMW's you see that are not M3's, but still get an M badge?

Is that officially done in the factory when they up-spec some body work or alloys? Or is it done by dealers when they add M-tech alloys to a car?

Or is it just sad bastard owners putting the badge on themselves even though it is actually completely meaningless?

There are lots of them around, and they are obviously not very high specced, most don't even have the curvy M3 style mirrors etc. So what is the deal?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,647 ✭✭✭impr0v

I was under the impression that it was the sad bastard option, sticking it on in a misguided attempt to make their car look 30 odd k more expensive, though I don't know a whole lot about it to be honest. I know some of the new 5 series 'sport' models being released (in the uk anyway) have 'M' tuned suspensions and other modifications, perhaps they get an M badge?

I got an immense amount of pleasure from overtaking a late twenties executive type in his bog standard (with 18" rims) 3 series with 'M' badge applied, despite his best attempts to stop me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

:D Nothing sadder than a "junior spec" bimmer with a M on the back.

Mike.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,468 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

So basically it has nothing to do with BMW themselves or their dealers..?

Mate of mine actually had a 320 coupe, and though it didn't have an M and three stripes on the back of it (had no badge at all actually), it did have M-tech mirrors, alloys, and some stripes on the trim by the side indicators, as well as the leather gear surround.. would they all have been after-market add-ons and nothing to do with BMW when it was originally manufactured?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

There is a difference between M3 or M5 and a normal ///M.
    The M3 & M5 are developed by BMWs Motorsport division and are designed as road going versions of track racers. The new M5 will have over 500bhp!
    ///M reflects that the car has been uprated in some shape or form using M-Technik equipment such as suspension, bodykit or whatever. They *do* have a normal engine though. Curved mirrors come with an M3 or M5 only. Other cars with them got them in the same way that the dickhead in a micra got them!
    I think the majority of cars with these badges are genuine. However, there is nothing stopping an owner of a standard car getting an ///M badge and sticking it on (I have also seen it with Alpina and AC Schnitzer badges) but as mentioned, the car is not improved. Sure look how easliy available they are:- http://search.ebay.com/bmw-badge_W0QQsokeywordredirectZ1QQfromZR8

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,468 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

ah yeah, I know how easy it is to get one and just stick it on.. I guess my main question was whether there actually are ANY BMW's that BMW themselves put an M badge on apart from the M3 or M5.. so your answer would seem to be that there actually are..

Cheers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭garthv

ill sell ya an "M" badge ;)

• Subscribers Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭TCP/IP

The M badge on the back of a BMW does not automatically mean that it is a full M3 or M5, what it means is that when it comes from BMW the owner has requested the motorsport pack which at its lowest is a body kit all the way up to lower suspension and a different gearbox. But alas there will be some sad people that will stick on a M badge when the car is neither.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

The ///M badge is usually put on by BMW. From my knowledge of dealers, they do not put one on unless someone pays them to. It is put on by BMW to indicate that the car has been modified from factory original using M-Tech parts.
    TCP/IP - the ///M badge (with no 3 or 5) *never* goes on an M3 or M5 unless the owner puts it on. All M3 & M5s produced get their own badge or if requested, none at all.
    Fruthermore, it is not a motorsport pack - it is an M-Technik pack - it is not motorsport related in any way.
    Also, the the best of my knowledge, ///M (M-Technik) does not supply different gearboxes. However, it may be possible to get an LSD.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,387 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

If you see a combination of an M sticker and a missing type number on a 3 series, that's usually proof it's a 316 :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,008 ✭✭✭rabbitinlights

The worst is when they put the M on the wrong side or too low or something?

On the front doors of all BMW's the black rubber strip along the door has an indent at the front of it, BMWs that have the kit added by BMW have a small M badge there, most fools overlook this bit and just stick on the Badge and the Mirrors and Skirts etc. Thats how i mainly tell if the person actually paid for the full kit or just got the badge off ebay.....

In my own opinion i think a smart subtle kit totally debadged is much nicer than a 316 with loads of badges stuck all over it.

Sean

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭kdevitt

kbannon wrote:
    Curved mirrors come with an M3 or M5 only. Other cars with them got them in the same way that the dickhead in a micra got them!

Tick the options box and M3 mirrors were yours - hence them being available for the compact. Several hundred pounds for the privilage though.

Advertisement