Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

W2K Login Prob

Options
  • 30-07-2004 3:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 28

One of the girls in the job has gona and done something to the comp, she says nothing other then she restarted the comp, but when she tried to login, it won't let her, there is nothing wrong with the network, or her account, even when I try to login to it myself it won't let me... this is wreckin my head, and well, I couldn't really be bothered be giving too much info on it, but any questions will be answered, I have got to get this sorted asap.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 2,968 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoGiE

Well what error does it give you? Bit of info tbh. Have you checked to see if the lan cable is still connected?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,265 ✭✭✭MiCr0

is it possible she modified her domain settings?
    can you login locally?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 uummmhhhh

The error I'm getting is just that the password was wrong, and that usual crap about, making sure the caps lock aint on, but that dont make a difference cos the password is blank... its just her name as the user name and no password, u know what I mean?

the cable was the first thing I tried, even tried it with a spare cable, and no joy, and just incase that cable wasn't working either, I used the one from my comp (which is working) and still no joy... at first I was thinking the user was disabled or even there was something wrong with it, so I recreated it, and still nothing.

Heads melted.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Do you use a domain where you work, or just a workgroup?

If its a domain, click the options button on the login screen so that you can see the "log on to" field - make sure that has the name of your domain on it rather than the name of the local PC. Then try to log in. If you still can't log in get your IT support staff to reset your password/unlock your account.

Nope, thought that myself, have that at home, but not in there, the options only gives u the option to connect via dial-up, and adds a button to shut down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭Pimp Ninja

Have you tried logging in as an administrator?

Yup, tried with mine, even tried with other ppls... as I said, there is nothing wrong with the connections (that I can see or test without loggin on), there's nothing wrong with her "account" or the network... she's able to login to other PC's and so on... I'm not sure what she was doin that caused this... but I am thinking that she might of changed something, maybe she changed the domain settings as stated by MiCr0. Either way, I won't be able to check till tuesday, but more imput and more thing I can try on the day are all welcome.

I've been talking to a few of my friends on the phone, most r IT admins, and they ain't got a clue... it's seems so simple and seems like it should/could be solved with a simple thing, but nothing I know or they know is working. One suggested just reinstalling windows, that is possible as all files she creates are backed up on disc, so there would be nothing lost, but I'm gona have to reinstall everything If I do that, so I'd rather try what everyone here suggests b4 goin down that road.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

You can get a Unix comand line boot disk thing to reset NT passwords.... would that help, i often done it

maybe, yeah... tell me more, where can I get it and for how much??? lol

• Registered Users Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

uummmhhhh wrote:
    maybe, yeah... tell me more, where can I get it and for how much??? lol
    free but could be confusing http://home.eunet.no/~pnordahl/ntpasswd/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭ColmOT [MSFT]

Can you ping the machine from another PC while the logon dialog is displayed? If she changed her networking setting accidently, she won't be able to logon to the domain.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Can you ping the machine from another PC while the logon dialog is displayed? If she changed her networking setting accidently, she won't be able to logon to the domain.
    And if she did, then that's a reason to audit your security policy.

If you can connect to and Administer the machine remotely, it's probably something simple. If you can't.....then admin password reset or reimage may be your only option.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭Pimp Ninja

OK...

Cant log on locally with the domain accounts. Aside from this not being possible because the accounts are on the domain not on the PC.
    The login doesnt give the option to select the domain or the system, suggesting it is set to only log in locally.

The other machines are logging in fine with all usernames and passwords
    Suggesting that it is a domain setup.
    To confirm this, check the advanced login options on the other machines. Does it give an option to select the domain/local machine there ???

If this is the case I figure that the machine was removed from the domain.

There should be another administrative account on the local machine, with a different password (ie the local administrator account) that you can log in as...

Advertisement