Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jumbo or GA acoustic

Options
  • 30-07-2004 3:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭

I own a dreadnought at the moment. I have been looking at getting another acoustic guitar but am trying to decide whether to go for a Grand Auditorium or Jumbo or another dreadnought. Playability wise and sound wise what are the differences? I think I will try some out at the weekend if I'm in town.

thanks
    B

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Eoin Madsen

I'd recommend you go into Musicmaker and look at the Taylors upstairs (tell the guy up their that you're looking to spend 1500-2000ish, and he'll take you straight to them). They have the largest selection of them, and they have Dreadnoughts, Jumbos, and Grand Auditoriums in the same woods, so you should be able to get a fairly objective idea of how the shape affects the sounds as opposed to the luthiership or woods. Then try the different wood combinations etc. The guy in there last time I was looking seriously knew his stuff. The majority of what he says is even true. ;)

These new smilies are totally lame. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭WetDaddy

Well, I'm not too sure about the playability or tone differences, etc. between the different models, but personally I much prefer playing dreadnaughts to anything else.

I'd imagine that jumbos would be the loudest, but to me they're a bit to big and clunky. I have a Tanglewood 12-string, which is about the same size as those Epiphone jumbos you see every (the big, nasty black ones! :)), but then again, that's a 12-string.

Hmmmm... This post isn't mightn't really be much help :) Anyway, what -I- play is an Aria AW-410 (dreadnaught) and it's the nicest guitar I've ever played. It's about 14 years old at this stage, and was bought seecond-hand 10 years ago for about IRP£300. Not sure if they even make those model Arias anymore.

Admittedly, I could be biased (it's more likely that the guitar just suits the way I play perfectly), but my brother has a Simon & Patrick he payed IRP£750 for and, compared to the Aria, it feels a little flimsy.

And yes, these new smilies *are* lame...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Eoin Madsen

Actually, I think Dreadnoughts are actually louder generally. As far as I know the projection has more to do with the width of the body at the soundhole than the overall size of the body. Or so I hear.

Body shape isn't an issue concerning quality of sound, it's all to do with personal preference. In general, the rule that you get what you pay for is pretty true. Except Gibson... they seem to be pretty damn overpriced.

Advertisement