Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

your recation to John Kerrys speech last night?

Options
  • 30-07-2004 3:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭

Personally i though it was good, his best so far, a tad bit long winded but otherwise strong, it will be interesting to see the Republican Conventions speeches.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 Lenin

I thought it was very boring. You really want to turn him off after 5 minutes. I think he will loose votes because of this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭Amz

Well... as I said in the thread below that was posted last night about the speech I was very impressed.

He delivered it well and he could well have helped sway a few of the "undecided" voters over to his side.

The campaign is really only starting in earnest I shall continue to watch with interest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 693 ✭✭✭The Beer Baron

Last night was the 1st time I'd really gotten a chance to see him in action, I thought he was sychophntic, he reminded me of this guy
    guy.jpg

I'm no Bush lover, truth be told I, like probably everyone on the planet, particularly this side of it, hate the bastard, but, well, having listened to kerry rabbiting on last night I must say I'd rather the devil you know than the devil you don't. Having watched the nausiating circus that was Kerry's speech I came to a conclusion, this so-called messiah touted by the anti-Bushists is Napoleon to the Republican Farmer Jones.

And what a load of codswallop!
    Kerry seemed to list off pipe-dream after pipe-dream, (plus he subtly quoted or alluded to Far911 on two occasions) he also mentioned how the US is going to no longer going to depend on middle eastern oil, then where else are they going to get it from? Russia? Nigeria? Venezuela? South East Asia? Mars?
    He said how he's going to cut health care costs, revitalise the economy with investment, AND enlarge the military at the same time- and cut the deficit too? What's the democrat's secret weapon they finally genetically engineered money trees or something?

No I think he was telling them what they wanted to hear, and they lapped it up, making lots of promises that he can't keep, no way in the world he could do that- not with the state america is in and it's not gonna get much better whether bush is in the white house or not- the damage is done. He never said HOW he intends to pull off all these miracles, he kept mentioning Nam like John Goodman in the Big Lebowski, like well I can do this, this and that because of what I learnt from my mother and from Vietnam- that's not going to cut it like, still, way to tell working class america what they want to hear. "Read my lips..." oh wait wrong guy...

The only thing I do think feasible is that he just might be the man to heal the massive wounds that span the atlantic and indeed he might be the man to do that. Still though, I can't help but feel this guy's every bit as much a BS-monger as GW, albiet a more swanky and articulate one which is why me and my gf who were watching it last night, christened him Bush Lite. He unnerves me, why I do not know, I think it was because he's riding on the crest of the anti-bush ticket, because there's a "if you're black vote democrat" current in the US, I mean, did my eyes decieve me or did I see Farrakhan sitting there cheering on at one stage? Voting for one man not because of the man but because you hate the other one so much.

It's a two party system, Bush or Kerry, Kang or Kodos.
    My advice to American voters is, don't vote either, move to ****ing Canada.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭ykt0di9url7bc3

Good speech in terms of content and drive... (unfortunatly Baron, He has to appeal to all americans as a true presidential candidate not as a "anyone but but ballot.. the speech was designed to be all encompassing...)

Kerry is not a great public speaker ( Edwards had them singing afaik) but when Kerry came off the stage and waved to the crowd put his arm around edwards and then put thier hands in the air showed his quietly confidence... i doubt it was scripted....

Healthcare and the military were firm promises from what i could see

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

daveirl wrote:
    Same here. I missed the start, but I was glued to it today on CNN (or wherever). Except the bit where he sounded like a preacher, cos, you know, he sounded like a preacher. But I'm hoping this is the turning point.

adam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

• Registered Users Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Flukey

He is more impressive than Bush, but that says nothing at all. While softening things a bit, I don't think there is going to be much change to the decades of foreign policy that have got them into their current mess, should he get in. Lots of nice ideas and sentiments but how many will see the light of day. I hope he gets in, but being realistic we will have to reserve judgement until way after that. What he says he will do and what he actually does are two completely different things. A year from now we will have a better idea.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Am I the only one who noticed that in his speach he promised to close tax loopholes which allowed american companies to outsource factories to other countries?

Because you know what that means, don't you?

Pretty much every major industrial, I.T. and pharamacutical employer in Ireland forced to pull out of the country if he follows throught with it.

Advertisement