Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Its new to me

Options
  • 30-07-2004 4:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭

I don't who did what to my computer at home now, bit none of the programs are recognising the internet connection. I'm on dial - up and i've tried it between various isp;s. That partconnects alright, but all the prgrams on the computer are tellling me that there is no internet connection. I'm fairly sure that its is nothing to do with firewalls or anthing like. I've gone through every setting that i can think of nad i can't find anything out of place. Anyone expierence anything like this before? I'ma ll out of idea's.
    BTW i'm running XP SP1.
    Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭Pimp Ninja

Could be a tcp/ip issue
    Try opening a command prompt and entering the commands
    'netsh dump'
    'netsh int ip reset reset.txt'
    Then reboot and retry.

Make sure that youre disconnected bedore doing this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭Explosive_Cornflake

No joy there i'm afraid.

Was messing about a bit. I can't ping www.boards.ie, but
    ping 85.195.131.128 works.
    Anyone want to throw anthing at it?

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭captainpat

Could be Blaster worm. Check out Symantec.com for fixblast.exe and MS patches. You might need to get these on a cd or thumbdrive from a working connection.

Don't think its balster/sasser. Had them before, so i know what they're like. Have formatted since. Hmm, i don't fancy formatting again so soon. I'm firewalled against those two anyway, and there isn't much going on in netstat -a, and there are no spurious programs running in the back ground.
    It seems like some sort of DNS realeated thing to me, but i can't figure it out.

I should have goone with my original instincts. It was the firewall. Simply disabling is obviously not enough. Unisnstalled and reinstalled a different [and much bteer one, finally an excuse to get round to that] one. That solved it.
    Thanks for the replies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,265 ✭✭✭MiCr0

sounds like dns wasn't working

Advertisement