Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Athlon 64 3200+ CPU temperature

Options
  • 30-07-2004 6:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭

Hi i'm just after building my first pc and i've been googling and searching the forums but i can't see what is an average CPU temperature for this processer.
    At the moment im getting averages of between 55 'C and 62 'C. Are these ok. My system temperature is averaging between 49 'C and 60'C. I'm using a Zalaman 7000Alcua and i have one case fan.

Are these temp's alright or should i be cooling more, i'm not overclocking or the like, i've just set it up as is.

Thanx

Brian

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

Your system temp is way to high, I get about 30-40 max. You need another fan to extrac the hotair out of your case.

55 is about the max you want to run your CPU at, but this temp should drop when your system temps decrease.

What thermal paste did you use on the chip?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭BKtje

What motherboard do you have?

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭brian_ire

im using msi k8n neo platinum

and sorry i used the termal paste that came with the zalman, i've a feeling i might have put a bit too much on tho

• Registered Users Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Redrocket

try taking off the side of your case to see if the fresh air being let in makes any difference to the temp. hopefully it will, then decide on how to solve the problem with the side back on

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Pacifico

AFAIK that mobo has problems reading the correct temp of the processor?

Did you update the bios?

yeh i just updated the bios there, still no difference, im gonna run the system without the side case on now to see.

by the way i dont have a northbridge fan, mainly cuz when i was readin up on building a computer i never saw it mentioned.

also i have another fan which i intended on sticking into the case but the cable on it doesnt reach to its socket on the motherboard.

The easiast way around that is get a molex(the rectangular one that connects to your HDD and cd-rom) to fan connector. Should only be a couple of euro at any pc shop

thanx ciaran, i had one of those lying around and i've hooked it up, my cpu is running at 54 ' C and the system at 45 'C now

when i had the case open the cpu was runing at 49'C and the system at 37 'C quite a difference isnt it! Maybe the case just had poor venilation. hmmm

• Registered Users Posts: 6,312 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

What case is it? Don't tell me it's a cheap crappy case, if it is I wont be surprised as many first time builders get crap cases ( mine was trash :D ). Just run without a side on...it just means you will have a bit of dust getting in but it can cool you down quite a bit

• Advertisement

if it's a crap case its kinda dear. EUR57

here it is

case

it has vents on the front aswell,

but yeh it did make a big difference with the case open

Thats a cheap price but it seems like a good case. If I'm reading the german right(I have no german knowlege) It has the same chassis as mine with a different front.

Where you put the case fans?

well sorry i didnt mean dear, cuz obviously u can get some real dear ones, but its not a cheapy seeing that the 60 yo yos didnt include a PSU. i have the two fans at the back, mainly cuz i cant figure out how the hell i get them into the slots at the front

• Closed Accounts Posts: 284 ✭✭Zakalwe

I have the exact same setup and get the same readings. The BIOS is at fault. This is a well known problem. My case temperature reads at 40C ffs. Subtract 20 to 15 to get the proper temp

• Registered Users Posts: 6,312 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

Zakalwe wrote:
    I have the exact same setup and get the same readings. The BIOS is at fault. This is a well known problem. My case temperature reads at 40C ffs. Subtract 20 to 15 to get the proper temp
    Yes it seems the sh1tty gremlin of the BIOS has struck again - as for your case it is a good one but the Gaming Bomb would have been cheaper and a bit better ( 92mm and 120mm fans sockets )

• Registered Users Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭elexes

ive got a 64 3200 also had the hole probloms with the temps showing up in the 60's turned out to be bios related. im now running it at 11.5@225hmz getting 2473 with a temp of 32 if im reading everything correctly (temps taken from mbm ) . ive yet to mess with the power settings for the cpu but ill up it in a bit just aint had the time to go around the pc yet

well it could be the bios but my room was actually nicely heated after running the comp. for about 3 hours. i'm gonna turn one of the fans around cuz ive two blowing air in and none extracting, ill see will that make a difference

The fan extracting the heat should make a big difference

yeh ive turned one of the fans around now so its extracting the heat but it isnt making much difference to my temperatures. CPU is averaging 54 'C and system is 45 'C. It was a degree or two cooler when i had both fans blowing in.

im slightly confused what to do now?

What kind of graphics card have you?

Edit: should read the whole thread :o

Ive a A64 3000+ btw and it used to run at 32 idle. Now runs at 42 after i added a 9800 XT mainly due to the crap heatsink on the card. Also i've 4 case fans :confused:

• Advertisement

the graphic's card im using is 128MB Sapphire Radeon 9800 Pro Lite-RTL and yeh i've space for two more fans on the front but the only thing is that i cant figure out how to get them into the little clips that they came with. tis hard to explain but i would have to remove this purple holder things then slide them back in cuz i cant get access from the front

• Registered Users Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭BKtje

Im fairly sure its just the bios. There is a whole rake of people over on the msi forums complaining about temps. It was fixed for some with the 1.2 bios (newcastle users) but not all. Clawhammer users havent had any luck lowering the temps. Unless your heatsink is hot to the touch i wouldnt worry (hot not warm).

Amd chips can take up to about 70degrees. Only problem i'd see if you were trying to overclock cos then the temp will rise and pc wil auto shutdown to save it from damage (depends on settings in mobo). You could try some of the latest beta bios's i guess if your desperate.

so ive finalyl figured out how to put the fans in the front part of the case. im gonna head off to compustore to buy two more fans now, i was just wondering which would you advise to

(a)take heat in from the front and extract out the back
    (b)the opposite

ive attached a pic anyway to help you help me!

the purple things on the the left are holding the fans and the bottom two bays on the right also has holders for fans

thanx again!

brian

• Registered Users Posts: 3,541 ✭✭✭duridian

I'd say most people would stick to using the front ones as intake fan positions and the rears as extraction fans. The fact that the rear fans are higher and hot air tends to rise anyway would I 'd say make the opposite way round very ineffective for cooling. Also if you take that pic of the side view of your pc and draw a line from the front fans to the rear fans you'll see that it takes a nice diagonal path across some of the parts most in need of cooling. I know the air won't take a perfect path due to obstructions etc. but it gives you the general idea of your desired airflow.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,754 ✭✭✭Col_Loki

One or two things........

Firstly from that pic you might want to sort out your cables as they are blocking the Zalman's air flow.
    As was said before blow air in at the front and out at the rear.
    Thermal paste can have a pretty big effect on the CPU temps, you are still fine with the temps your running anyway.

The Northbridge is very unlightly to be running at that high temp especially with a Zalman CPU fan. Check to make sure the NB cooler isint loose (its already fitted to mobo). If its sturdy then dont worry about your system its a BIOS error IMO. (and the fact that you had the side off the case).

BTW average load temps for the AMD64 would be ~42' Degrees ish so its either related to the thermal compound or the silly misreading BIOS.

Run prime95 and see if your system is stable and what temps you get..........

• Registered Users Posts: 5,560 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

Off - topic, how do you find that case? Internally it's a standard chieftec design but how's the trim quality? Does it look as plasticky as it does on Jes?

nope it looks grand, im just a bit concerned about its air flow into the front, but thats it, apart from that its a grand case

ive attached a pic for ya

(when it arrived the top left bit was cracked, it looks a bit plasticy in the pic but thats cuz of the flash on the cam)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 284 ✭✭Zakalwe

MSI have fixed the problem with BETA BIOS 1.43. My K8N Neo Platinum and many other people's boards are now reporting the correct temperature.

http://forum.msi.com.tw/thread.php?threadid=57041

Advertisement