Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dumping Bins -> I'm the victim

• 30-07-2004 8:16pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭

Evening all

We live in the Fingal Co. Council Area and pay for a bin tag every time we want our bins collected.
    We live in a small apartment so theres never really that much rubbish, it generally takes about 2 to 3 weeks between our collections.
    The bin is out the front of the apartment just off the public footpath. Its a small apartment and we've nowhere else to put it other than inside, and hygenic this is not...
    We had the bin collected earlier this week, and when I left this morning it was practically empty. I returned thie evening and went to put out the kitchen rubbish and it was full. Some fsker has dumped his household rubbish into our bin.

Now he wasnt very clever about it, there are several bills with his address, about a 10 - 15 min drive from our apartment, his mobile phone number and his employers details in it, among other things.

I've tried calling the gardaí and they say that it is a civil matter and they cant do anything about it and suggested calling the co.council (which wont be open till tuesday with the bank holiday). Even though dumping .. after all is illegal.

I've also thought up several revenge tactics, ie dumping it all over the front of his garden/house/car etc. But then I'd just be in the wrong

What should I do next??

If this is in the wrong forum, please feel free to move mods.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Ring the council on Tuesday, afaik they can fine him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,647 ✭✭✭impr0v

Council I guess, though the decorating his garden with his own rubbish is tempting. However, I'd imagine he's not a nice guy and the results of him catching you in the act might not be pleasent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 954 ✭✭✭ChipZilla

Empty his crap out of the bin onto the ground. Phone the council and tell them somebody's been flytipping. Leave some strategically placed bills near the top of the rubbish bags so they'll see them straight away when they check them. And then he'll get a nice fine of up to €1900 for littering...

You can phone Swords Litter Management Unit on 8905956, and the Litter Wardens on 8905951, 8905952, 890 5946 or 890 5947.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭alleepally

ChipZilla wrote:
    Empty his crap out of the bin onto the ground. Phone the council and tell them somebody's been flytipping. Leave some strategically placed bills near the top of the rubbish bags so they'll see them straight away when they check them. And then he'll get a nice fine of up to €1900 for littering...

You can phone Swords Litter Management Unit on 8905956, and the Litter Wardens on 8905951, 8905952, 890 5946 or 890 5947.

I'd echo this approach.

Sneaky people. I hate seeing bags of domestic waste near public bins or recycling points - it makes my blood boil.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,840 ✭✭✭✭cormie

arghh

What an arse.. Not so much for dumping in your bin (which is terrible for you) but more for not recycling his paper.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

I suppose, if you were feeling really mean, you could, and I must stress that I do not condone such in ANY way, you could buy a few hypodermic needles and pop them in the rubbish before the authorities have a look, and have him subjected to drugs inquiries. But that would be mean. And probably very much against the law. And we all know how much Gardai hate breaking the law.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭Kazu

you have the person mobile number and address give the person in question a ring and say you have enough evidance to get him fined that he has been dumping and tell him to dump somewhere else Fingal Co. Council Area fook that could be me and my midnight runs :D:D:D:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭silverside

I was going to say dump it in his front garden late at night, but if you have his mobile number, ring him and tell him what he is doing is unacceptable. He shouldn't do it again. Turn off caller id before you ring him just in case he is a psycho.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,740 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

fecking skangers!!! :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 340 ✭✭The Song Thrush

Unless somebody was playing a prank on him... :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

grenade in the bin - with the pin attaced to the lid - when he opens it - blamo!

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

ChipZilla wrote:

ChipZilla's idea gets my vote.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

Yeah, I'd go with ChipZilla's idea too but make sure you dump it near his own house. Start a feud between yer man and his neighbours,as well as getting him a fine. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭damnyanks

But he knows where he left the rubbish. He's gonna know where it came from... just squal on him and get him a fine. No point doing something silly if he knows exaxtly where it came from!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Champ

Ah glad you caught him.
    I'm not really surprised these days what some people would get up to :rolleyes:
    Not sure if i would have gone through said garbage myself (yuck!) ... but i think you have an unusual opportunity... ;)
    Hmmm; got his address and phone number eh? :D
    People generally try to keep such details off the internet to avoid crap (annoying subscriptions; getting pestered by unknown sales people etc) hassling them... but accidents do happen ;)
    Maybe its a little cruel but hey think of it like this; for every action there is an equal and opposite reaction especially in light of his stupidity...
    Or
    Think of it as maintaining the balance; he sent garbage your way; so your returning the favour ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

alleepally wrote:
    I'd echo this approach.

Sneaky people. I hate seeing bags of domestic waste near public bins or recycling points - it makes my blood boil.

Yea loads of people do it where I work in a petrol station, it really pisses me off because when we are really busy we have to go and empty all of the bins, which takes about 25 minutes.

PAIN IN THE HOLE!

John

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Wont matter where the bills are, the council and corpo have guys whose sole job it is to root tru the bins to find evidence.

kdjac

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

Post his mobile number up here :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,981 ✭✭✭Big Ears

Lenny wrote:
    Post his mobile number up here :)

and his address , encouraging people to dump their rubbish on his lawn .

Oh, and get a padlock and and hasp to lock the bin lid so it doesn't happen again. Something along the lines of this maybe:

hasp.jpg

You'll need two of the 'eye' bits so you can lock the lid down when not in use, and the other one to hold the hasp bit back on collection day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Flukey

The council is the initial thing to do. If you get no joy there, then consider your next move.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

ChipZilla wrote:
    Oh, and get a padlock and and hasp to lock the bin lid so it doesn't happen again. Something along the lines of this maybe:

hasp.jpg

You'll need two of the 'eye' bits so you can lock the lid down when not in use, and the other one to hold the hasp bit back on collection day.
    What good are locks? If he was not around when this happened even if he had a lock it would make no diff since he could not have locked it. Unless you think the bin collectors will lock it when they are done?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Tommy Vercetti

You could also phone one of those waste companies and order a skip for the gentleman, maybe he'll take the hint.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,154 ✭✭✭Oriel

Think about this: why would a guy drive "10-15" minutes, just to dump his rubbish in your bin?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Tommy Vercetti

Sinecure wrote:
    Think about this: why would a guy drive "10-15" minutes, just to dump his rubbish in your bin?

because he didn't want to spend €5 on a bin tag?

Saruman wrote:
    What good are locks? If he was not around when this happened even if he had a lock it would make no diff since he could not have locked it. Unless you think the bin collectors will lock it when they are done?

Even if it's not locked all the time, it cuts down the amount of time your bin is 'available'.

You got any more stupid statements which contribute nothing to the original poster's problem?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭Pimp Ninja

OK.. phoned the council this morning
    They seemed mostly uninterested, but said they would send somebody around to collect the offending items this week.

A phone call wouldnt go astray since we are moving out of the apartment anyway, but I wouldnt want to cause undue grief for the landlord.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

Pimp Ninja wrote:
    OK.. phoned the council this morning
    They seemed mostly uninterested, but said they would send somebody around to collect the offending items this week.

To be fair to us it is 5 past nine on a post bank holiday wknd ;)

I'd a thought they'd be on the ball about this kinda thing though. I'd say the papers might ne interested in this on a slow news day. Dumpa Shocka.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

Big Ears wrote:
    and his address , encouraging people to dump their rubbish on his lawn .

would that just be the sweetest mob justice?

If the boards.ie population all dumped their stuff in his garden, and left him a letter saying 'dont fuck with a boardster'.

Naturally, that would be a bad idea, and could get the admins in trouble for allowing such a thing to be organised on their site... but a man can dream... yes, a man can dream

flogen

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,513 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

Ah I caught a fella on my road dumping stuff in my bin.
    Same thing, bin was empty and when i went out to put a bag in it
    it was full.

So I went through the stuff to find out who it was and the things you can find out
    about people by going through their bins is amazing.

I literally knew what they had for breakfast as they had a "diet diary" in there.
    I got his and her mobile numbers, a credit card bill but the best was finding out
    that the "little miss snooty" wasn't from Malahide as she constantly and persistantly told us.
    She was from Baldoyle. WAH HA HA HA!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

flogen wrote:
    would that just be the sweetest mob justice?

If the boards.ie population all dumped their stuff in his garden, and left him a letter saying 'dont fuck with a boardster'.

Naturally, that would be a bad idea, and could get the admins in trouble for allowing such a thing to be organised on their site... but a man can dream... yes, a man can dream

flogen

Would a stern letter from everyone be illegal too? Think of the amount of junkmail. It'd be like the internet IN REAL LIFE!!!!!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,512 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

If the council won't do anythign then subscribing him to every mailing list you can EVER find will do the trick, not to sure what you could do with his phone number, maybe just post it randomly on websites

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

Cabaal wrote:
    If the council won't do anythign then subscribing him to every mailing list you can EVER find will do the trick, not to sure what you could do with his phone number, maybe just post it randomly on websites

no, no, no... I've heard the best thing to do is post his/her mobile number on a few personals websites, with perticularly kinky/freaky interests (but common enough to get interest going). Something like 'I want to watch you with my girlfriend' kind of stuff would probably get some pervy interest... Or so I've heard, anyway...

Anyway, soon afterwards, their phones should be clogged with dirty old men ringing up saying 'what are ye wearin?' while rubbing themselves... they should end up changing their number (a bit of hastle for them), and you'd be untraceable...

flogen

If you had his credit card bill, all manner of things could be sent to his house for him...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,513 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

ChipZilla wrote:
    If you had his credit card bill, all manner of things could be sent to his house for him...

Hey that's true too. It would be hard to convince his bank it was fraud if the stuff was being ordered & shipped to his own address!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,684 ✭✭✭scargill

a few years ago a friend of mine who lives in the country (ish- few miles outside Naas) noticed a car pull up and dump black bags of rubbish into the ditch down a lane beside his house. Its a common problem. He decided to follow this guy back to his house to see where he lived. He went back home, got his trailer and filled it with as many black bags as he could find in the ditch and brought them to the bastards house where he proceeded to kick rubbish all over his lawn! Yer man freaked - but what could he do ?

Don't get mad - get even !!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,512 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

scargill wrote:
    a few years ago a friend of mine who lives in the country (ish- few miles outside Naas) noticed a car pull up and dump black bags of rubbish into the ditch down a lane beside his house. Its a common problem. He decided to follow this guy back to his house to see where he lived. He went back home, got his trailer and filled it with as many black bags as he could find in the ditch and brought them to the bastards house where he proceeded to kick rubbish all over his lawn! Yer man freaked - but what could he do ?

Don't get mad - get even !!
    Agreed, its certainly limited to what he could do to your friend
    But he could try non-the-less so its not that safe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

Photograph the rubbish pile, make a word doc with a "Mr Joe Bloggs Rubbish was illegally dumped in my bin" headline - Fax it to his workplace and ask them to put it on the staff notice board. Then photocopy it and put through all his neighbours letterboxes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Borzoi

Last weekend someone thoughfully dumped their rubbish outside one of works warehouses, later that day the local scum bags torched the the rubbish burning through the electrical mains to the building. So we sifted through and got details of a company and an individual.

Litter warden came out and said he'd prosecute both, the individual case will be small but the company will be fined a minimum of €2500, if they cant prove they disposed of the waste properly.

On a side note: Now that Fingallers have to pay per bin, why do we not have bins that can easily be fitted with a lock of some sort????

Borzoi wrote:
    On a side note: Now that Fingallers have to pay per bin, why do we not have bins that can easily be fitted with a lock of some sort????

Cos the council don't care.

'Fraid it's a DIY job. :)

• Advertisement

Hey Pimp Ninja, you ever hear any more about this?

Advertisement