Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General degree instead of diploma

Options
  • 30-07-2004 8:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 915 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know if the plans to introduce a BSc/BA to replace 3 yr diplomas, mean that recipients of diplomas already will be entitled to a degree qualification also (retrospectively)?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

I would doubt it highly. There's nothing about retrospective awards on the Hetac website.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭bp_me

So, when I finish my degree in 3 years time, I'll end up with a "Bachelors", and entrants to the system this year will get a "Honours Bachelors" for the same 4 years spent in college.

Who would you hire first????? Which title do you think sounds better?? Although in saying that, I don't plan on leaving without a masters but.....

Brendan

• Registered Users Posts: 20,995 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Yeah it's a ****. Another thing for already sub-average HR personnel to get confused over :( I plan on getting honours results anyway so I'll just put down "Honours Degree" on my c.v. regardless.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭bp_me

Yeah, probably do the same myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭vector

bp_me wrote:
    Yeah, probably do the same myself.

I'm confused :)

I'm currently in my final year of an BA "honours degree"

Does that mean that I will be John Smith BA (hons)
    if I pass, or must I actually get a first class honours
    to use that (hons)

I want to indicate that it is an "honours degree" which is a level higher than a "ordinary degree", in the on the nqai ladder.

look at this to see what I mean
    http://img.thefreedictionary.com/wiki/0/07/NFQ-Ireland.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

(hons) means 3rd, 2nd or 1st class honours.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭vector

simu wrote:
    (hons) means 3rd, 2nd or 1st class honours.

Is there such a thing as 4th, or does 3rd go all the way down to pass 40%?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

vector wrote:
    Is there such a thing as 4th, or does 3rd go all the way down to pass 40%?

No such thing as a 4th class. A lot of places don't even do 3rd class, it's just called a pass (from 40% to 55% IIRC).

Advertisement