Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What keeps dialling my internet???

Options
  • 30-07-2004 11:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭

Hi

I have dual isdn and I installed Norton Internet Security on this pc when I got it new about 6 months ago.

I think it is this that is causing my problem. Although I have selected "do not connect" in my internet settings.........every time my pc turns on, it connects to the internet on its own???

Also, if the pc goes asleep, it STILL connects. Awoke this morning to find it had spent all night online!

I am running Windows XP Home.

I know there is a program available, but cannot find it, that will monito which program is creating connections and log it??

Please!!! Can somebody help?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭pablo21

I found that the handiest way out of this is to use a firewall and configure access for only what you need, ie. browser, e-mail, AV update and block everything else. Do a scan for spyware aswell. Dont allow windows to autoupdate, instead do it yourself once a week/month. Is your TA serial/parralell or USB? If its not USB you could put a timer on it s power plug, just a standard timer you can buy in any hardware store. This works really well if you use the combination of an isdn lan modem and eircom flatrate, Only power the hub for your available hours! A good configurable firewall is free at computer assocoiates (ez av).

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

pablo,
    where can i get that firewall?! ive been looking for it but cant find it!

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭pablo21

EZ AV is the best I've ever used. I have this system in several places for the last year and none have been victim to any of the major virus's!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭wolfman

Thanks a million pablo.

Will try that and see how I get on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭daggeredge

also try
    http://www.zonelabs.com

for zonealarm free edition
    great little prog!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭cerbeus

You may have some spyware on your machine.
    You might be better off reading the following thread in the Security section:

Ad-Aware > Spybot - Search & Destroy

Advertisement