Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dublin clamper fined for bad parking - BBC

• 30-07-2004 11:44pm
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,088 Mod ✭✭✭✭

This probably has been posted on another board already, but I’m sure some people here will have interest, as well as amusement, in this...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/3940239.stm

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,325 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

Good stuff - he should have had his legs broken....but you can't have it all :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 allo1

I read the story about that clamper he broke the law, he has to obey as well as uphold the law what ever is dished out to him he deserves it and he should not moan about it, as he has being doing, But the clampers are there for people who at the drop of a coin will park at your gate way if there are no deterrent, I am not a clamper no very little about them BUT I feel we have to have them because of the tick and stubit attitude a lot of people have about parking and think that they can get away with it, time and time again I have seen cars and even lorrys illegally parked up on footpaths with nowhere for pedestrians
    to walk only out on a buisy road, I was sitting in my car one day in a carpark when this car parked in a disabled car space he and a few more got out and headed off I made sure that car did not stay very long.

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭Xcom2

"A policeman asked the van's driver to move his vehicle out of the way but he refused."

He should of been arrested on the spot and the van towed.Give it back in about 6 weeks when the paperwork has been completed!

G

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,036 ✭✭✭✭Stark

allo1 wrote:
    I read the story about that clamper he broke the law, he has to obey as well as uphold the law what ever is dished out to him he deserves it and he should not moan about it, as he has being doing, But the clampers are there for people who at the drop of a coin will park at your gate way if there are no deterrent, I am not a clamper no very little about them BUT I feel we have to have them because of the tick and stubit attitude a lot of people have about parking and think that they can get away with it, time and time again I have seen cars and even lorrys illegally parked up on footpaths with nowhere for pedestrians
    to walk only out on a buisy road, I was sitting in my car one day in a carpark when this car parked in a disabled car space he and a few more got out and headed off I made sure that car did not stay very long.

That's fair enough, but a lot of clampers (like the tax collectors of yore) are abusive of their powers and lie in wait ready to clamp at the slightest hint of a parking violation. "What's that, parked 14m from a zebra crossing when the required distance is 15m? CLAMP".

For example, you're supposed to get 15mins grace on a parking disc if you arrive back late. However people often find their cars clamped after running only 3 or 4 mins late. Obviously the clampers were lying in wait for them. This can happen even when the place is relatively quiet, and people aren't hurting anyway for running a little over time when parking their cars.

The problem is the promise of money to be made overrules any sense of sensible parking enforcement.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

allo1 wrote:
    the clampers are there for people who at the drop of a coin will park at your gate way
    For christ's sake. Clamping is indefensible, and that's probably one of the stupidest defenses I've seen yet. If someone parks across my gateway I want the chuffing thing MOVED, not locked in place by some knuckle-dragging neanderthal with the brains of a chimp and an ethical system reminiscent of a cheap hooker. The entire concept is both moronic and extortianate at the same time, although the morons are the politicians that endorse it, not the extortianate wanker that invented it.

adam

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

An interesting, if somewhat painful, thing happened to me last Thursday night..

I had just finished doing my weekly shopping with two mates and we were driving back through town at about 10pm. Typically, we all got the munchies at the sight of a food emporium. I couldn't find anywhere to park at all but I found a row of 10 legally parked cars with a double yellow line of about 20 metres long to the next junction. The junction is this case being a laneway.. I am not sure of the name of the steet, it was between Kildare and Dawson St. So I squeezed the car in behind the legitimately parked car, leaving enough space for them get out of their space, and walked off for 20 mins odd to get some food... I came back and the car was gone. The car was impounded and I had to get a taxi to East Wall to get my car out. I incurred a fine of €160 euro to get it back..

Now I am not trying to defend my actions. I was in the wrong and happily accept this, nor did I argue with the crowd running the clamping agency. I just feel that the offence did not warrant the pusishment. I also don't see the point in having something like this happening at 10.30pm in a side street

Also, there was cars parked in loading areas all over the place and nothing happened to them...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Champ

I can see that clampers can be argued as a necessary evil... when any big match is happening i wish i could get a bazooka to uncrowd the streets where i live... parking fans add a whole new meaning to densely packed parking and almost makes it very difficult if not impossible for folks in my area to get their own vehicles out of their driveways... The sad fact is that they could have easily gotten a bus; which would have only added an extra 5 minutes of walking time; as opposed to stuffing themselves like tin cans with their cars...

However i can clearly see clamping would only make the situation considerably worse (i don't want to even think of the deadlocks). There's always some people that would try their luck and will get caught. :rolleyes:

Plus the behaviour of some clampers is just pure disgraceful.
    Let's not forget about this:
    http://archives.tcm.ie/irishexaminer/2004/05/20/story356489800.asp

Advertisement