Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

anyone know where you can get a motor cycle exhaust repaired

Options
  • 31-07-2004 1:54am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 44

hi all.

the joint on the silencer were it goes into
    the collector box is rusted away.sick of
    using repair kits.it would just need a
    new small pipe welded to the end of the silencer.
    can it be done or does anyone know where.quick
    and not to expensive.170 strl for a new silencer.
    bandit 600,96.

oh yea.while im here.i tried to balace the carbs.
    but they seem to unbalance not long after.are
    they a bitch to do.used carb tune 2 gauges.

cheers.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 973 ✭✭✭Gmodified

Carbs, yes! bitch to do if you are using only two gauges on four carbs

in regards to silencer, i would look for used exhaust as many people are replacing original pipes with aftermarket cans, so there is good few of them about

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 nednedned

cheers mate.

its called carb tune 2.but it actually has 4 gauges on it.

silly me :) , yeah i have" carbtune2"seen them before it's the one with metal bars instead of old mercury.

You are not selling it by any chance? as i have to replace my simple vacuum gauges in some stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 307 ✭✭Haket

A very common complaint on the B6, its the collector that rusts so 2nd hand parts are like hens teeth.

Contact banditmania.co.uk , they use to sell a replacement part joining the box with the link pipe, all you'll need then is to find a stainless steel welder to tack it all together.

Oh, as for the carbs, Bandits are usually easy to sync, 1-2 then 3-4 then 2-3 yeah ?, all done with the idle speed turned up to around 1700rpm and using a very light touch on the throttle linkage adjuster screws.

cheers mate.

will check that out.think every exhaust has this problem.well
    every one i had.

sorry mate.i only just bought it.but heres the web site.

http://www.carbtune.com/index.html

cheers.

• Advertisement

according to service manual

1750 rpm

first sync
    3 to 4
    then
    1 to 2

then adjust center screw(2-3) to match both sets 1-2 to 3-4

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,468 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

Ah yes, the B600 rust problem..

Had the exact same problem as you mate, I must have gone through about 60 quids worth of Holst repair bandages over 12 months.

So instead of going to the hassle of getting it taken off and welded etc, I bought 2 tubs of exhaust repair paste, one of METAL holst repair kits (the wide one with the jubilee clip type attachment), and then 2 jubilee clips from B+Q.

Clean off the area, and pull away any rusted bits. Lash a load of the exhaust repair gum/paste around it. Take the strip of holst metal and cut it in half along it's length, so it's basically only 3 inches wide instead of 6 or whatever, and cut off the jubilee attachment that's on it. Wrap this metal around the gum that you have already put on, and hold it in place with your hand or get someone else to hold it in place. Then put the 2 jubilee clips at either end of the cylindrical strip you've just made, and tighten them to f**k.

I did this about 3 months ago now, and it hasn't let me down.

HTH

the repair i have on it now.i got some of that metal.cut a strip.
    bound it around,put an exhaust bandage aound that.bound that.
    it has got to the stage.were the pipe has broken.its not bad.but
    sounds better when quite.can always pretend its a 1200cc.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,468 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

The exhaust bandage will always come away eventually.
    Try what I said above, it does work. Metal on the OUTSIDE, with gum underneath it, and jubilee clipped at either end. bingo.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭DivX

Have you tried any local engineering firms? they should be able to braze the leaks and weld in bits as needed, the bandages and gum is only a temporary solution and will get blown off in no time.

I attacked mine with a welder at home, welded a sheet of tin around the balancer box, still okay after 8 months.

By the way I also bought the carbtune2, must say it makes balancing the carbs very easy.

• Advertisement
Advertisement