Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tribes Newbie

Options
  • 24-01-2000 12:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭

Hi, im a relative newbie on tribes and i just found this board service.
    Im just wondering how do i connect to the ign server, cos ive never seen it in any master lists in the game. Is there any other servers apart from the ign one based in Ireland?
    Any help on this, or anything at all to do with tribes would be greatly appreciated smile.gif
    thanks
    Dustaz

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭Dr_Teeth

Make sure you upgrade to the latest version - early versions of Tribes didn't know about the UK master because it didn't exist back then. smile.gif Use Gamespy, it's much more powerful than the built-in server browser..

Teeth.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

Thanks folks, ill try the game spy route.
    While im still a newbie , is there any servers in particular that tend to cater to newbies? even webpages that have 'educational' demos/recordings of StuffThatBloodyNewbieNeedsToKnow. Any help is appreciated.
    Thanks
    Dustaz

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭Asuka

OK - i had trouble getting the irish servers as well. Theyre showing up on the UK master server now, altho for some reason not when i have a ping filter on... funny, because when i took the ping filter off they both hadf a lower ping than i had specified in the filter smile.gif
    There are also Qamex tribes servers, which are also Irish, and should also give a reasonable ping, however the filter thing is the same with them. Plus, theres rarely anybody on qamex servers.

In general i just use the Barrysworld ones.

Asuka

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

Cheers guv
    if nothing else it will be nice to see a bit of irish slagging, makes a change from the "I Rock/Rule" type of thing that the septics are fond of smile.gif
    thanks again
    Dustaz

Most of the major Tribes sites (planetstarsiege.com etc) have sub-sites dedicated to educational demos.

However, it's usually better to watch match demos, as they show you how certain tactics like skiing, jet-pack use, mortar/disk jumping, pack-use etc fit into an actual game.

Have a look around some major tribe homepages, they usually upload demos to show-off. smile.gif

My old archive is here:

http://www.netsoc.tcd.ie/~daire/em

The demos are fairly large and usually start with about 5 minutes of people standing around slagging each other before the match starts. smile.gif

Unzip them into the 'recordings' directory of your tribes install. The ones named "teeth_" are probably the best. Hope that helps!

Teeth.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Dagda

Lads .. can someone tell me the name of an Irish Tribes Site please ?? And also can you email me your Clan sites please !!!

Dag

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭Asuka

I dont think there are any specifically irish websites at the moment - everyone who played tribes has a nasty habit of moving on to Q3 or UT - however people do still play it www.tribesplayers.com is one of the best sites there is, and www.planet-tribes.com was damn good as well, until it was pulled down. It should be back up soon.

As for tribes here in Ireland, the closest thing you're going to get is Demented Dodos (DD), who have a couple of irish players and a northern irish player. Personally, i look forward to the release of Tribes 2 and the reincarnation of the Irish tribes scene.
    I dont know what DDs url is, but their irc channel is #[dd] on irc.quake.ie (6667)

The servers (as far as i can see) are rarely used these days - barrysworld prove to be the more popular ones.

A

http://www.tribesplayers.co.uk has all the news on UK scene, so check that out as it's where most of the Irish guys now play.

Teeth.

Advertisement