Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rejoining Eircom, leaving UTVIP

Options
  • 31-07-2004 9:27am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭

I've just signed back up with Eircom.
    I am currently with UTV, and had their 180 hour per month internet package for €24.99.

I was planning to cancel my UTV subscription, which i had to give a months notice on. I was doing this as I signed up for Esats free 3 months trial a few weeks ago. I'll be moving home in a few months anyway, so i was just gonna try out broadband for free before I moved.

The Eircom guy that called to my house told me, that if i went back to Eircom, i could do so in 15 days. Where as if i cancelled with UTV it would take a month.

Was he right in telling me this? Will UTV charge me for the rest of the month? (as they required a months notice)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I am currently with UTV, and had their 180 hour per month internet package for €24.99.

I was planning to cancel my UTV subscription, which i had to give a months notice on. I was doing this as I signed up for Esats free 3 months trial a few weeks ago. I'll be moving home in a few months anyway, so i was just gonna try out broadband for free before I moved.

The Eircom guy that called to my house told me, that if i went back to Eircom, i could do so in 15 days. Where as if i cancelled with UTV it would take a month.

Was he right in telling me this? Will UTV charge me for the rest of the month? (as they required a months notice)
    Right, first off, afaik if you sign up for the 3 month's free broadband, you're missing some things;
    You still have to sign a twelve month contract. So when you move house, you will have to pay the balance of the contract.
    You get three months free - the last three months of the contract. So you will still be paying for the three months that you have it.
    (I'm not familiar with Esat's product, so these two points could be wrong - anyone?)

Technically he was right in telling you that you can go back ot Eircom in 15 days. That's a trivial matter. All it involves is removal of CPS from your account so now all your calls go through Eircom. That would take less than 15 days. Once the CPS is cancelled, afaik, UTV will automatially assume your UTVip account is cancelled too, and will charge you for a month's subscription from that date, since you didn't give them a month's notice.

My advice: Stick with UTVip until you move house.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 3,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭LFCFan

Why go back to €ircon? Go with Esat for the 3 months because they give u a real free broadband trial where they install it for free and u get 3 free months and after this u can cancel and pay nothing else. Stay the hell away from €ircon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭NocturnalDonkey

Yeah I went with Esat BTs free trial of 3 months. Did that mean I signed up for my telephone call to go through Esat too???

• Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭Gadgie

Yeah I went with Esat BTs free trial of 3 months. Did that mean I signed up for my telephone call to go through Esat too???

No, they should still be with UTV unless you cancelled it with them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 645 ✭✭✭TomF

I am thinking of leaving UTVip because of the poor connectivity experience I am having. I've been a customer of the UTVip dial-up Internet service for more than two years now, and things have come to a low.

First, I am now living in Galway, not too far north of Galway City, and that may be a part of the problem. However, I've tested other dial-up (and pay-up!) connections, for example AOL and IOL Pay-as-you-go, and they are considerably faster than UTVip.

It seems to me that UTVip must have some kind of problem itself accessing the Internet, or maybe having enough modems in service, because at some times of the day connection isn't too bad, where at others it is nearly impossible.

I've talked to UTVip telephone support (they blame my line, viruses, my inside the house wiring) and have sent emails to UTVip support (never answered) and I have just about had all I can take.

Maybe I'll consider ESAT/BT for my dial-up connection. I don't want to give Eircom the satisfaction of returning to them no matter what.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭machalla

One quick suggestion. I was having an appaling time with the UTV dialup service as well and contacted support about it. A guy called Brian mailed me and we went through a few tests and the like. He also suggested I send him details on my modem. As its a generic maplins whitebox modem there was feck all I could find out about it. I tried another modem and since then everything has been perfect. There was obviously some incompatibilty with UTVs service and the modem I was using. Which was odd since it worked perfectly with IOL/Eircom/Indigo. I hadn't considered it might be the modem and whatever way UTV allow you to connect up to them (their dialer program).

Perhaps it might be worth a try if you haven't already had it suggested to you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 645 ✭✭✭TomF

Good point, and one the UTVip man made to me on the phone. I have a GVC modem that came with my Gateway computer and he said the drivers may be out of date, or something in the initialisation string may be making the modem incompatible with the modem on UTVip's end. Gateway are no help, as they have disappeared entirely from Ireland, but I recently subscribed to some kind of modem guru site on the Internet, and I may as well bite the bullet and start reading-up on what makes this modem tick and see if I can get better connectivity. Thanks for reading my grumbling about UTVip and if I find it was all my fault, I'll get back on here and confess.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 3,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭LFCFan

UTV are fully v92 enabled so maybe there could be some issue there? I don't think there should be but you never know!!

• Registered Users Posts: 24 dromoland

UTV support don't seem very helpful to me. I've been with them since the inception of the ipXL dial up service and now I am looking at either Eircom or esat for my broadband.

Recently I had to reformat my hard drive and when I requested the settings for Outlook Express for my old esat and eircom emails addresses, they wouldn't help me. They told me I should ask Eircom or Esat.

How can I do that, I'm not their customer. I'm paying UTV for the service.
    I also had a contract signed for UTV Talk. I've thrown that in the bin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭davelerave

i too am with utv dial-up.i had problems with the service also.upgraded to a hardware v92modem, all's well since.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭jbkenn

Hi Dromoland

I have heard of some idiotic reasons :( to fall back into the arms of Eircon, but this takes the biscuit, so, to protect you from a fate worse than death here goes
    did a search of the Utv support site and I found this
    Q. I had to re-install Outlook Express - what`s my settings?
    A. When launching Outlook Express for the first time, it will ask you to create an `email account`.

It will ask you obvious questions like your name and email address, and simply follow the on-screen examples for guidance. It will then ask you the following...

* Incoming Mail Server
    * Outgoing Mail Server
    * Account Name
    * Password

The mail server addresses are as follows:

Incoming Mail (POP):- pop.utvinternet.com

Outgoing Mail (SMTP):- smtp.utvinternet.com

Your Account Name is your Log-on ID (username). Your Password is the password you`ve selected when you signed on to UTV Internet. It is important that "Log on using secure password authentication" is NOT selected.

When you have entered all these details, simply send yourself an email message to make sure everything is OK.

You will need to use the Outgoing Mail Server (SMTP) if the Internet provider you connect into, if you do not have dial-up or broadband access with UTVi.

Thats UTV out of the way

For your Eircon email account settings

Incoming Mail (POP):- mail2.eircom.net

For your Esat settings, depending on which mail service you have

Incoming Mail (POP):- Esatclear: mail.esatclear.ie
    Incoming Mail (POP):- IOL Free: mail.iolfree.ie
    Incoming Mail (POP):- IOL Subscription: mail.iol.ie

Your outgoing mail SMTP will always be the SMTP of your ISP, in this case Utv

Hope this helps

jbkenn

p.s. If you asked Eircon or Esat for your Utv settings they would'nt help you either

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

dromoland wrote:
    when I requested the settings for Outlook Express for my old esat and eircom emails addresses, they wouldn't help me. They told me I should ask Eircom or Esat.

How can I do that, I'm not their customer.
    I'm trying to think of a suitable analogy but it's late so I've got nowt. However, ringing Company A about the technical details of the services of Company B should ring the lack of sense alarm bells for anyone. Eircom and Esat maintain paid per minute (though expensive to ring) support lines for this very reason. Unless you go the cheaper route fo finding the information through asking someone you know or looking on the internet, ringing one of these lines sounds like the normal and rational thing to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 dromoland

jbkenn, thanks for this info. The settings UTV gave me for my ingoing and outgoing were mail.utvinternet com. I tried to apply these to my old eircom and esat addresses and these didn't work and phoning UTV didn't get me anywhere either, and I don't know anyone else who uses UTV. In the UTV Support I found similar (mail.utvinternet.com) under What are your email server details. You looked further than I did and found what I needed. Thanks, I've now got everything going again.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭cormy

machalla wrote:
    I hadn't considered it might be the modem and whatever way UTV allow you to connect up to them (their dialer program).

On that UTV IP dialler - which is a pain I think anyone who has had to use it would agree ... especially the fact that no other applications know about it, so dialling up is always a two-or-three-step process (instead of your email/web browser doing it for you...). To make life less frustrating, have a poke around wherever the dialler software is installed on your hard disk, find a file that contains the list of UTV dial-up phone numbers, and whack them into a new dial-up networking connection under windows.

I used the UTV IP XL service for quite some time on a PC that had a 33kb modem, and more often than when one of the numbers in particular was dialled, my PC was connected to a human being (i.e. as if a voice number had been dialled - I could hear the other person answering the phone through the speaker on the modem - but of course I had no way of responding! I actually think it went through to an Eircom line, because whoever answered usually said something like 'hello ... eircom...'. (UTV had no idea why this was happening).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 507 ✭✭✭emmemm

my problem with utvlite is I often get the message "the line was busy"when trying to connect.Straight away I try the old utv dial-up number and connect immediately.
    Of course this cost several times the utvlite rate.
    Anyone else got the same problem?

Still getting engaged tone......

Advertisement