Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I've BB, now what?

• 31-07-2004 10:46am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭

after a year and a half of trying I finally have BB.

and now that I'm here I've 2 questions atm;
    Will playing CS constantly over a month d/l alot (I've a 4 gig limit with €ircon) but I must say so far I'm happy with the pings.
    I've a network setup in the house. To get it working do I just plug my €ircon reuter into my hub with is connected to the other PC's and have those Pc's gateways as the reuters ip address? Am I getting this right?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

Sniipe wrote:
    after a year and a half of trying I finally have BB.

and now that I'm here I've 2 questions atm;
    Will playing CS constantly over a month d/l alot (I've a 4 gig limit with €ircon) but I must say so far I'm happy with the pings.
    I've a network setup in the house. To get it working do I just plug my €ircon reuter into my hub with is connected to the other PC's and have those Pc's gateways as the reuters ip address? Am I getting this right?

Firstly, CS won't chew up much of your cap. No online game should take too much of a chunk out of it. It uses less bandiwdth than streaming radio.

Secondly, you might not have to redo your network. If you get an ethernet modem/router, all you'd have to do is forward different ports to the required computers. Without knowing exactly how you are set up, it'd be hard to explain.

Also, how many ports are on the supplied router? Could you plug every comptuer into it?

EDIT: I don't think the above post was helpful at all, i see its already been edited though...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭Sniipe

Whats getting me at the moment is that my 2 main pc's are on the network but neither see's the other (they are both on the same subnet mask and have similar numbers (192.168.1.1 and 192.168.1.203)) and both pc's tell me that they are connected to the network. I will be attaching a laptop and server to the network later but at the mo am consentrating on getting these 2 up and running.

Any tips on how to test the network. I could buy a network tester at maplin for €90 or so???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

What do you mean by "See" each other.

First, test the network to see if it is working 100%.

Stage 1:
    Go to pc with IP 192.168.1.1, and go Start--> Run: then type the following, without the quotation marks: "ping 192.168.1.203 -t" . You should be getting replies. If you get failed packets, then something is wrong with the setup.

Then go to the second pc (192.168.1.203) and ping the first one (192.168.1.1). That should also give replies. If you don't get replies, make sure software firewalls are off, and then test again. If this doesn't work, write back with the exact details in the TCP/IP settings on each ccomputer

Stage 2:
    Assuming stage 1 is working perfectly, and you want to do some filesharing, the best thing to do is set up a microsoft network jobby.

Start->Programs->Accessories->Communications-> Network Setup Wizard.

Run that on both computers. In the first dialog box that gives you options to choose from, choose "other", and click next, then choose the option that the network doesn't have an internet connection. It makes life easier later on if you want to share the internet. Trust me. Then give each computer a different name, but the same "workgroup name".

Its best to run the wizard on both computers at the same time, just to make sure you get it right. Any problems, just ask.

EDIT: Network testers are a waste of money. I don't know what it is exactly, but don't buy it! There is no point. Any problems can easily be sorted without spending 90 euro!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 296 ✭✭JP Mulvano

Sniipe I though that'd be something that any man who went to DKIT would know how to do. Jaysus cant believe you had to check that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭jonski

I networked my 2 pc's together ( both with xp pro ) and couldn't believe how complicated it was . Had to get a guy to talk me through it in irc . I assumed that it would be easy with XP .....wrong .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 37 cravian

Networking XP isn't so bad if you remember a few key points.

As you mentioned before, both PCs have to have the same Workgroup
    (right click of "my computer" and look on the "computer name" tab - click on the "change..." button if you need to change it)
    You'll (naturally) need to reboot.

Also, if it applies, they have to be on the same subnet.

You'll also need to turn off your built in internet firewall or open up the specific ports that windows xp uses for file sharing. This would be a problem if you don't have a built in firewall in your adsl modem/router and I wouldn't advise it.

I see a lot of people here talking about static IP addresses but the majority of routers and ADSL modems do auto-allocation these days so it's not necessary unless you absolutely need to forward incoming packets to a specific machine for, say, a webserver.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 804 ✭✭✭TimTim

jonski wrote:
    I networked my 2 pc's together ( both with xp pro ) and couldn't believe how complicated it was . Had to get a guy to talk me through it in irc . I assumed that it would be easy with XP .....wrong .

If you find networking in windows xp hard I'm strongly advising you not to try any other os then. But networking is one of the hardest things that can be done on computers so... Thats why us in the trade call it notworking. :D

I've never tried use the xp pro network help setup thing. I've always just done it by networking control panel. If you are having any more probs feel free to pm me and I'll see how I can help.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Boro

As Cravian said, networking in XP is not to hard to set up once you remember the few key details.
    If you are networking 2 computers, then its just a matter of making sure every device you add to your network is using the same ip range/ subnet. That includes your modem router. You will have to go into its configuration page, basically just type in the ip address of the router (it will be in the manual) into internet explorer once the router is connected to the network. You then set the gateway and dns on each machine in the tcp/ip settings to the ip of the router and off you go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭jonski

Thanks for the offer of help , although I did manage with a m8s help to get it working . Just to add to that I was using a network hub , and just doing it for the purpose of swaping a few files and lan games with the son and heir .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭Sniipe

All the pc's can see each other, ie, ping fine. I put them in the same workgroup. I gave them Ip's 192.168.0.10 and 192.168.0.11

The file transfer is a nightmare, and game playing is very difficult, but I can get it to work if I put in the specific IP on one of the machines (ie one will host while the other will host but not be able to be seen). No firewalls.

I had to use FTP for transfers tbh.

I'm confused, I'm going to the attic to rip out all the network cable!

EDIT: there are 2 more pc's but I've similar problems!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

TimTim wrote:
    But networking is one of the hardest things that can be done on computers so... Thats why us in the trade call it notworking. :D

I thought one of the hardest things you can do on a computer is install Gentoo? :p

Seriously networking hard? even AOL users can do it ffs
    :D

Advertisement