Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IOL broadband problem - defies all logic!

• 31-07-2004 2:10pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭

Hey all,
    I'm having a rather odd problem with my IOL broadband,
    it was connected about a month ago, and (apart from a few problems getting it working initially) all's been well.

My setup is as follows:

Wall -> Zyxel 623 -> hub -> PCs (3 of them)
    It was working continuously (with no noticable disconnects for about a month), and then yesterday at 5pm it just died. no explanation.

I called IOL and they went through the motions, router power cycle, reset, etc. Last thing they said was they'd get eircom to run a line check (cos the DSL light still wasnt staying on when the modem was plugged straight into the wall jack), i've been getting solid 512k connects, so i dont think its a lone quality issue,

So, anwyays, i've been trying different things, and now its working, but under some odd circumstances.

its working now (and did earlier and last night) when my laptop is connected directly to the modem with a crosover cable.
    but when i connect my wireless access point, or the hub the DSL light goes out and wont come back on. I've tried 3 different network cables, to no avail.

Long story short: Solid 512 connects when JUST my laptop is connected, but if i connect it back up to my hub or access point, it dies. This is particularly strange because it worked fine for a month.

the Zyxel modem has the latest firmware, and is currently in the default settings after IOL had me reset it.
    any ideas?
    I tried googling but didnt find anything useful...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Ste.phen

anybody? the only error in the log is:

11 Sun Aug 01 03:48:45 2004 PP04 ERROR DMT: Reset in C-CRC-RA1
    12 Sun Aug 01 03:49:01 2004 PP04 ERROR DMT: Timeout in R-REVERB3
    13 Sun Aug 01 03:49:30 2004 PP04 ERROR DMT: Reset in C-CRC-RA1
    14 Sun Aug 01 03:49:41 2004 PP04 ERROR DMT: FCS error in HSCLR
    15 Sun Aug 01 03:49:56 2004 PP04 ERROR DMT: Timeout in R-REVERB3
    16 Sun Aug 01 03:50:09 2004 PP04 ERROR DMT: Reset in C-CRC-RA1
    17 Sun Aug 01 03:51:06 2004 PP04 ERROR Last errorlog repeat 1 Time
    18 Sun Aug 01 03:51:06 2004 PP04 ERROR DMT: FCS error in HSMS

thats just an example, its been more or less the same the whole time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭Hellraiser

Ring up their tech line or mail them with the above errors and maybe they can help you out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭elexes

id say a problom with ur modem tbh . that or theres a configuration on the hub thats ****ing around with it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Ste.phen

Well they're supposed to call me back, i'll hold my breath and call them tomorrow if i hear nothing.

I've kinda narrowed it down to either the hub or modem myself, i'll try another hub if i can find one, see if that affects it, and i'm gonna borrow a modem from someone later if they'll let me, see how/if that affects it...

It's been running ok for 19 hours without dropping though, so that gives me hope. Then again, thats with the modem connected directly to one machine, i really need it back on the network.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

It could be in relation to the lightning over the weekend. The exchange may have been damaged.

• Advertisement
Advertisement