Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How to be what your not?

• 31-07-2004 5:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭

Ok, I have got a job interview in HMV. Thanks to those of you who helped me with the appllication form....It was very helpfull ;)

So now I have to show them I'm hip and cool so to speak. The problem is I like loads of types of songs, basically a little of everything. I'm not really into "Popcheol" so to speak so this could be a hindrance. I'm willing to lie to them but I have to have an impressive knowledge of everything really.

For example do u guys know of any Concerts by well known bands coming up I could say I'm going to them to look good ;) . Or maybe any good interview Jargon relating to music.

I like mainly classical type music myself, I also buy a lot of movie OST's, some Frank Sinatra, ABBA, The Coors, Some Cranberries, fountains of wayne, special d etc. Theirs no one type of the previous I like. Generally I may just like a single song from an artist and thats it.

The song im listening to at the moment would be "The Picard song" :) As u can see I can't really say that to them :P

So my question is, What do I say to a HMV interviewer? or should I say how do I lie to them and make it interesting?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Captain Trips

So my question is, What do I say to a HMV interviewer? or should I say how do I lie to them and make it interesting?

You could tell them you are a big fan of Sir Mixalot and MC Stephen Hawking. And Norwegian death metal bands...............oh wait, you *want* the job........:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭Ste-

Jesus if you get the job do you want us to help you with that aswell.

The interview will be like any other. They can't and shouldn't discriminate over personal taste in music. How do you know the interviewer won't like the same ? If you lie you could get found out.

As you say you like Classical music, tell them this, they do have a classicical section in HMV.

Above all be yourself, don't be afraid to talk to the interviewer like normal. Most of them like a chat and prefere it to the stanard interview. It will also look better to be yourself as it can show that you are able to talk to strangers as some or most of your job may have to avail of this.

Just my two cents anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,886 ✭✭✭Marq

Hi Mike,
    Sorry I never got back to you the other day, I've been working day and night solid since wednesday. Basically, for the interview, don't have any illusions or preconceptions that the interviewer knows anything about music other than what's in the charts. HMV are a large multinational with a beaurocratic management and middle-management system. The person that will be interviewing you may have once cared about tunes, but now all he cares about is profit. Before you go in, check what HMV's chart says the top 5 albums and singles are - you might get asked this, and maybe what you think of them. Don't be over-intellectual about questions like that. Obviously the top five singles at any time will most likely be utter cack, but try not to sound overly derisive. "it's not my kind of thing" or "they're quite good for their genre" are perfect comments for that kind of question.

You will be asked that interview question about HMV's competitors. Mention them, Tower and Virgin, and when asked, have an opinion as to how they are outdoing HMV in one particular area, or exactly how they differ. Work out an answer that shows your knowledge of both shops, and finish with why you normally shop in HMV. Be SPECIFIC - easier lay-out, friendlier staff, better selection, GOOD CUSTOMER SUPPORT.

You will be asked about music you listen to, and you are best to have this answer ready. Lots of people think this is the easiest question in the world to answer - sure, why the hell would you want to work in HMV otherwise - but often you find yourself saying "you know, a bit of everything" and racking your brain to remember if there is any common theme amongst the 17 cds you bought the other day. one concise minute of chat about what you listen to, and be able to go into detail about things if asked.

Above all, the management want good reliable staff who can sell product. that's it. Product knowledge is important for HMV obviously enough, but you'd be surprised how low management seem to rate it in actuality. Present yourself well, dress up (shirt and tie essential, a suit if you feel comfortable wearing one). A professional image is the most important thing.

Like any interview, be able to describe the other jobs you've had and what skills they required. Ones that you might want to emphasise for this job in particular are Stock Management (ie, displays and restocking), Customer Care (really really important, try have examples of what customer care experience you have cos they might well ask you) and Till Work / Dealing with Cash. They will want to know that you can be trusted on the tills and have worked with Tills and Floats before.

Good luck, I hope it goes well. The staff in there are brilliant (many of them are good friends of mine still), and it is possible to really enjoy the job if you don't mind listening to crap music all day.

Marq

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Ok, I have got a job interview in HMV

Next you'll be looking for some one to attend it for you :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭Micheal Wittman

Amazing how some ppl give a few helpfull words while others (Ste-) are ********.
    Most posts I can see are related to getting help in Boards.ie. Some ppl are nicer than others I guess.

Thanks Marq for the great info. Its nice to know I have some know how in advance from an inside source ;)

I appreciate the help,

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

It's just like any other job interview. You have to lie through your teeth about how great you are, and pretend to believe how great your potential employers are, and convince them you have no opinions, tastes, or anything else that might clash with the company's "image".

I'm a rotten liar, so interviews were never my strong point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,575 ✭✭✭elivsvonchiaing

The worst interview question (in my opinion) to be prepared for is:
    Q: What are your greatest weaknesses?
    A: I get too involved in stuff and end up doing hours of free overtime.
    (Any good interviewer will smell this a mile-off)

A: I'm quite ambitious and fear others may feel threatened by me. I just want to be part of a team. I just don't always know if everyone is part of the same team all the time - if you know what I mean.
    (This is my best answer which sounds absolutely crap - it's how you deliver it - direct eye contact - but believing you may one day fire the person that's interviewing you)

Feel free to rip this apart people

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭munkeehaven

you must be good-looking because whenever i go into hmv anywhere all the guys are really attractive.it's strange. :D

I'd say it's just the uniform.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Pacifico

Sarky wrote:
    I'd say it's just the uniform.

You mean the T-shirt? ;)

• Advertisement

Yup. Who can resist a man in a tshirt? Lord knows I can't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Pacifico

Sarky wrote:
    Yup. Who can resist a man in a tshirt?

:D:D

Good one *

* Added because of the 10 char Minimum :rolleyes:

Advertisement