Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is Tellytubby right..?

Options
  • 31-07-2004 5:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭

Is Beverly Cooper (neck like a jockeys bollix) Flynn unfit to hold public office and should she stand down in light of the conclusions of the NIB investigations and findings?

Personally I think Ahern fudged this in the first place. Not only should she have been dropped from FF but she should have been forced out of the dail at that stage.

(thought it would be a nice change from all the Sinn Fein and US electorial posts on here!!)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Flukey

Well he was never going to put one of his governments seats up for grabs. As for your main question, sure half the Dáil are unfit for public office!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Looks like he may have to now :) I wonder could this be the straw that breaks the PD/FF marraige!!

One can hope :D

One can hope but FF won't really like the other possible suitors, which may keep them in the marriage. I think they've been sleeping in separate rooms for a long time. I believe they also have their eyes on one of the suitors, one that would not exactly have a lot of others queueing at their door. I believe they have secretly being doing a little wooing!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,924 ✭✭✭Cork

Bertie took very decisive action on Beverly Flynn by expressing the view that she should be expelled from FF.

I think that evading tax is wrong and giving advice to evade tax is wrong. But Beverly Cooper was an employee of this bank. Should all ex employees of the bank face similar sanction?

Should all TDs before taking up public office require senate style investigation?

She has already faced sanction by FF. Bertie did act pretty quickly to expell her after the High Court Judgement.

He did in fairness wait for the High Court Judgement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭AngelofFire

Just another testiment to the fact that Fianna Fail are the party of sleeze and corruption in this country

• Advertisement

Just another testiment to the fact that Fianna Fail are the party of sleeze and corruption in this country

You use the word "are"?

Could you give a few current examples?

You seem to ignore FFs management of this country from a highly taxed basket case to one with high growth, low tax and low unemployment.

Compare the record of this government with previous governments?

It was not a FF government who even introduced DIRT tax.

But it was a FF government who brought the credit unions into line where by the individual credit unions could deduct dirt from members accounts.

Before this, it was left to members discression.

Burke, Lawlor and CJ haughey and George Redmond aswell cork.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

Cork wrote:
    Bertie took very decisive action on Beverly Flynn by expressing the view that she should be expelled from FF.

I think that evading tax is wrong and giving advice to evade tax is wrong. But Beverly Cooper was an employee of this bank. Should all ex employees of the bank face similar sanction?

All ex-employees who encouraged people to evade paying tax. You seem to think this is like encouraging someone to open a savings account. Even if she was told to do this by the bank, she should have refused.
    Cork wrote:
    Should all TDs before taking up public office require senate style investigation?

All TDs should resign and never run for election again once it has been established that they encouraged people break the law. But people like Flynn live in a la-la land where they think they did nothing wrong, so the must be expelled. Bertie took a very stupid risk supporting Flynn until her appeal, especially considering it was a technicallity that she was trying to get off on, and he has no one but himself to blame for the egg on his and FF's face after all this. She is a disgrace to herself and to the party, and those who tried to protect her are just as bad.

Wicknight wrote:
    She is a disgrace to herself and to the party

She is not a member of a political party. But let the law deal with the report on NIB.
    Wicknight wrote:
    But people like Flynn live in a la-la land where they think they did nothing wrong.

Should we start applying the same standards to SF - a party with links to an illegal arrmy?

Let the law decide on NIB and let the people of Mayo decide on Beberly Cooper.

She got a mandate after finishing with the NIB and after the NIB story broke.

Cork wrote:
    You use the word "are"?

Could you give a few current examples?

You seem to ignore FFs management of this country from a highly taxed basket case to one with high growth, low tax and low unemployment.

Compare the record of this government with previous governments?

It was not a FF government who even introduced DIRT tax.

But it was a FF government who brought the credit unions into line where by the individual credit unions could deduct dirt from members accounts.

Before this, it was left to members discression.

Fianna Fail did not invent the celtic tiger,it started a few years before they were in power.Under Fianna Fail there has been a massive shift in the distribution of wealth to the rich.

Low taxation was not the cause of the celtic tiger nor was the demise of social democratic policies, The Boom came first then came tax concessions.In his speach at the Annual IBEC conference McDowell gave a distorted account of ireland`s recent economic history,saying that it was a dogma of neo liberal
    policies that caused the celtic tiger thus trying to justify his statement that its ok to stick it to the poor sometimes.

This Inegalitarianism endorsed by this government is reminisicent of William Martin Murphys repression of ITGWU members trying to make ends meet during the 1913 lockout.

Fianna Fail have put more money into the pockets of the rich through massive tax concessions whilst hitting the poor and average earners with indirect charges such as the hike in VAT,Doubling of College registration fees and increases in Motorway tolls and waste charges,VHI premiums well beyond the rate of inflation.Ireland has the highest stealth taxes in europe and more people in the PAYE sector paying at the higher rate of taxation.so much for them lowering the taxes :rolleyes:

We fought for hundreds of years to break the power of Landlordism and now under the so called "republican party" landlords are exploiting people in this country by making them pay the highest rents for a single room dwelling in the EU. The profit margin for property developers has opened up under the Fianna Fail government. Housing prices have increased beyond inflation,and increases in wage. A couple now needs €90,000 to afford a shack.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,415 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Cork, from your question a few months ago, this is why they took special interest in Bev, they know people are going down (and/or to jail) and have distanced her "far enough".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

Cork wrote:
    She is not a member of a political party. But let the law deal with the report on NIB.
    She was a member of the Fianna Fail party, until she disgraced herself and that party. She should have never run for public office, but like I said, La-La land.
    Cork wrote:
    Should we start applying the same standards to SF - a party with links to an illegal arrmy?
    Yes ... I would never vote for Sinn Fein, and I would discourage others from doing so as well.
    Cork wrote:
    Let the law decide on NIB and let the people of Mayo decide on Beberly Cooper.
    And let Fianna Fail decide that she is a disgrace and that they don't want anything to do with her.
    Cork wrote:
    She got a mandate after finishing with the NIB and after the NIB story broke.
    Cork, what part of "she lied to the public, to the court, to the party and to the Taoiseach" do you not get.

The fact that she fought two legal battles with RTE in which she claimed she didn't do something that she actually did, lied to the public about her guilt and lied to the members of her own party that (foolishly) supported her, is enough to kick her out, never mind the fact that she encouraged people to break the law.

Cork wrote:

Expressing a view can hardly be described as very decisive action, if any action at all.

Cork wrote:

All ex-employees of NIB are not TD's, but Beverly Cooper-Flynn, though she no longer likes to use that name, is! That is the difference and it is a very big one.
    Cork wrote:
    She has already faced sanction by FF. Bertie did act pretty quickly to expell her after the High Court Judgement.

Well poor Beverly, expelled by Bertie, God help her! Big deal! That is hardly a punishment and what does Bertie want, a medal? Dress it up whatever way you like, but Beverly has not received any punishment as yet and there are bigger crooks than her around, not least her father, that have not even received the meaningless "punishment" she has. What next? When the Dáil resumes, will she be asked to go stand in the corner?

We fought for hundreds of years to break the power of Landlordism and now under the so called "republican party" landlords are exploiting people in this country by making them pay the highest rents for a single room dwelling in the EU.

I was paying higher rent in a county town 2 years ago than what I pay today in the city.

But, So what is your alternative to market economics? (while pointing out that there never have been as many houses been built in this country).

Beverly Flynn is not a member of FF. This discussion is interesting that no body has even commented that NIBs banking licence is not going to be removed.

The evasion of DIRT was widespread in many financial institutions. It was Charlie McCreevy who brought Credit Unions in line with the banks in deducting DIRT from members accounts. Up to then, It was up to individual members to declare such interest/dividends.
    Beverly has not received any punishment as yet

FF have expelled her. She is facing massive legal bills.

Cork wrote:
    I was paying higher rent in a county town 2 years ago than what I pay today in the city.

But, So what is your alternative to market economics? (while pointing out that there never have been as many houses been built in this country).

on the continent the fact that profit margins for property developers Isn`t 300% doesnt mean that theres a shortage of housing.Not even free market economics can justify selling houses which costs 97,000 to build at 300,000..

So what you are trying to say that profiteering and greed in the housing sector which exclude most people from being able to afford a house is justified as it is part of a Dogma of Free market economics?.

Even under these free market conditions houses should not be half as expensive as they are now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭potlatch

So what you are trying to say that profiteering and greed in the housing sector which exclude most people from being able to afford a house is justified as it is part of a Dogma of Free market economics?
    McDowell would certainly think so, as well as his PD neo-Cons. Don't forget he said at the end of May that inequality (and relative poverty) is a positive value in society as it increases people's incentives to work and to make money. Continuing his logic, that just means many more people are going to have to work harder and longer to afford that house, and an inflated housing market is an incentive for people to work, isn't it?

Balls.

Anyway, this thread is about B.C.F. She's got no excuses. Kick her out. We don't want criminals in our parliament. It's only when things like this happen that you truly realise the tribalism of Irish politics.

potlatch wrote:

Anyway, this thread is about B.C.F. She's got no excuses. Kick her out. We don't want criminals in our parliament. It's only when things like this happen that you truly realise the tribalism of Irish politics.

So Joe Higgins should also resign as he served a jail sentence?

Should any action be taken aganist Martin Ferris?

Higgins broke the law. But Higgins' 'crime' was political in nature, clearly motivated by the common good. There is some justification in what he, and many others, did. This was a relatively low-order example of conscientious objection.

However high-level corruption - corruption being the use of public office or money,or other people's money, for private gain - is a serious assault on a country's governance structures. This is what BCF was involved in, and it's a particularly high-level crime because banks are intimately connected to countries' past and fortunes.

That's bad.

potlatch wrote:
    Higgins broke the law. But Higgins' 'crime' was political in nature, clearly motivated by the common good. There is some justification in what he, and many others, did. This was a relatively low-order example of conscientious objection.

But was he not sentenced by the court?
    Did he not break the law?

Is it ok then for a TD to break the law?

Had we not a TD a number of years ago with an Ansbacker account? - He was not either expelled from his party or had he to resign his seat.

Should we have a points system for various crimes TDs commit?
    We don't want criminals in our parliament

Or should we just expect anyone with a criminal record should be booted out?

Or perhaps anybody cought smoking in the Dail Bar?

Who is to draw up and enforce these guidelines?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Just a friendly reminder for Cork, who seems to have missed this post:
    Looking forward to the response.

adam

• Advertisement

Yup. Clear and systematic abuse, by groups within the country's largest political organization, of our state, its laws, its system and its values for personal enrichment to the detriment of that system and society in general.

It's simply not acceptable nor convincing to excuse these people of such high-level fraud by producing lists of other offenders whose crimes were of negligible significance.

I then asked for some current examples:
    You use the word "are"?

And a list was posted:

I don't think any of the above are currently members of FF.

Corruption is not confined to one political party or to certain sections of our society.

I am 100% aganist any curruption. But I'll let the courts and the tribunerals deal with it.

FF has acted prommptly in the Beverly Cooper case. I would even have FF to have awaited the report before acting. But FF in fairness acted pretty promptly.

Regulation within the banking sector needs to be addressed. In fairness the NIB has addressed many past failures itself after the scandal was exposed.

It looks that the bank will be sold off and hopefully these banking scandals will not effect US foriegn direct investment into this country.

potlatch wrote:

It's simply not acceptable nor convincing to excuse these people of such high-level fraud by producing lists of other offenders whose crimes were of negligible significance.

So, people not paying for refuse in an era of low personal taxation is of less "negligible significance".

Would TV licence spongers also be included on this list?

Where would IRA bank raids enter the list?

The law of this country is there to be complied with. It is not up to people to determine which acts are of less "negligible significance" than others.

Cork lets get things into perspective here. Sinn Fein in its current form have never been in Government here, Cooper-Flynn or whatever name she goes by now has been in Government as part of FF and lied while she was a TD about her previous work with NIB going as far as to try and hard neck a Court Action when she knew she was wrong !!!! She aided people knowingly to evade tax and by the looks of it with her NIB colleagues on a grand scale. This is a disgrace that occured when the majority of people in this country were being taxed to the hilt. If she had any honour she would walk but she will do what the majority of FF politicians do she will try and ride it out sticking her 2 fingers up to the Irish Electorate.

As regards Joe Higgins he stood up for his principals and didn't even flinch eventhough it meant him serving time, I may not like the mans politics but I have to respect him for his convictions, to compare him to the people like Burke who was taking bribes and helping to create the planning disaster in Dublin and outlining areas along with Liam Lawlor, Haughey who was basically taking bribes and evading tax, or Michael Collins who was evading tax, Cooper-Flynn who was aiding people to evade tax is an arguement out of cloud cuckoo land.

Making a stand for principles is something that the scum in FF would not be capable of doing, they are a pack of jelly spined sleiveens in the pocket of big business in this country. Personally I would like to take them all out into a field and shoot them for the incompetence of the last 7 years. And right behind them I would line up their apologists.

Cork, being expelled from the FF is not punishment, or is she missing out on all of their ill-gotten perks? A lot of people would see it as a good thing to be out of Fianna Fáil. I don't belong to any party, just in case you were wondering, so I can take a neutral view on this. Anyway, how long will it be before she is back in with them again? She still has her seat, so she has not lost anything.

gandalf wrote:
    Sinn Fein in its current form have never been in Government here

But IRA rackets are costing the Irish excheqer revenue. SF has links to the IRA.
    gandalf wrote:
    This is a disgrace that occured when the majority of people in this country were being taxed to the hilt.

It is a disgrace both by the bank, its staff who sold such products and customers who availed of such products.
    gandalf wrote:
    incompetence of the last 7 years.

Bringing down personal taxation, brokering a peace agreement for NI, bring down unemployment, increasing spending on health, education, social welfare, investing in the future pension requirements of this county and investing in infrasture.

Compare this to the smallish social welfare increases of the last FG/Lab government.

In fact, Gandalf, even in the midst of a world wide recession - this government has done pretty well. Compare its preformance with previous Irish administrations.

As for Liam Lawlor, Burke etc. Are they even members of FF. I I think the tribunerals and courts should deal with them.

But issues like the awarding of the 2nd mobile phone licence, telenoe cheque are also before these tribunerals. These issues had nothing to do with FF. I raose them in the interest of balance.

I don't belong to any party

Niether do I.
    She still has her seat, so she has not lost anything.

She is facing huge legal bills and She has been expelled from FF.

I believe personally in paying my taxes. I don't pay for refuse as I choose to recycle. But, I think work practices in forcing products onto unsuspecting members of the public and the elderly need to change.

I believe pushing investment products onto elderly customers is happening.

Evasion of taxes happened in many sectors ofsociety (nixers etc) and it happened in many banks.

This is no excuse for Beverly Flynn or NIB. But I feel that Irish banks do need proper codes of practice and ethics legalislation (brought in by FF to their credit) needs to be under regular review.

I am no judge, jury or which doctor, so I don't know what the future holds for Beverly Flynn. Will She fade away or will She make a comeback?

Some politicians involved in controversy have done both.

Cork wrote:
    But IRA rackets are costing the Irish excheqer revenue. SF has links to the IRA.

Never part of a modern Irish Government. Stop deflecting the subject. There are plenty of SF threads you can bitch on those! We are talking and FF and in particular Beverly Cooper Flynn.
    It is a disgrace both by the bank, its staff who sold such products and customers who availed of such products.

And its a disgrace that a serving TD lied about the facts that she did sell them and tried to take a now apparent bogus court case because of it :rolleyes:
    Bringing down personal taxation, brokering a peace agreement for NI, bring down unemployment, increasing spending on health, education, social welfare, investing in the future pension requirements of this county and investing in infrasture.

Compare this to the smallish social welfare increases of the last FG/Lab government.

Deflection again Cork. But if you want to travel that route. Increased stealf taxes, all parties were involved in the peace process, increased waste of funds in health: people are waiting longer for procedures, surgery, on trolleys in Casualty in excess of 16 hours. Basically costs have increased massively under this government with no return in productivity or accountability. Then we have the complete and utter waste of resources like the Bertie Bowl and Electronic voting.

In fact, Gandalf, even in the midst of a world wide recession - this government has done pretty well. Compare its preformance with previous Irish administrations.

The majority of economist have said it was a variety of Governments decisions over the past 30 years that created the atmosphere for the boom. As for them doing pretty well, they did dismally, they squandered one of the best chances we had to sort out the Health service.
    As for Liam Lawlor, Burke etc. Are they even members of FF. I I think the tribunerals and courts should deal with them.

Cork please get your head out of that mount of sand. They were members and high ranking members of FF when they carried out all their crimes. Either people in FF turned a blind eye (at best) or they were involved in them also.
    But issues like the awarding of the 2nd mobile phone licence, telenoe cheque are also before these tribunerals. These issues had nothing to do with FF. I raose them in the interest of balance.

Hmm I think you will have to agree that the VAST majority of corruption charges are levied at FF members or members when the incidents occured.

So do you think she is suitable to be a TD then Cork, DO YOU?

The majority of economist have said it was a variety of Governments decisions over the past 30 years that created the atmosphere for the boom

The IMF were knocking on this countrys door in the early 90's. This country was a basket case. After the Fg/Labour government of 1982-1987 had failed to control government spending.
    they squandered one of the best chances we had to sort out the Health service.

They are the first government to look at the health area strategically and not on an electoral basis.

Throwing money at health won't improve it. Health Boards are no more. I think the various health stratergys now need full implementation.
    gandalf wrote:

So do you think she is suitable to be a TD then Cork, DO YOU?

I don't. But She was elected & as a democrat, it is up to her electorate to make up their minds on Beverly Flynn.

All true, but she hasn't been punished! People win cases and still have to pay legal bills, so that is not a punishment and I have already said her expulsion from FF is not a punishment.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭vorbis

thats a bit of a technical answer tbh. If she's facing financial ruin, then thats punishment in a way. Are you looking for flogging or something? :)

Advertisement