Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hoegaarden - where can u get it on tap??

Options
  • 31-07-2004 7:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭

hoegaarden.jpg

i really love this stuff but i only know of three places where u can get it:

Solas, Camden St
    O'Neills, Suffolk St
    Sin e, Quays.

Anyone know of any other pubs that serve this tasty number??
    Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

deadly name

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,575 ✭✭✭elivsvonchiaing

This is widely available throughout Flanders and even in some bars in Liege, Charleroi and Brussels.

In London - the Hog's Head - America Square (well it was a couple of years ago).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭Doodah7

The Duke on Duke St. sells Hoegaarden iirc. The last time I was in there the barmen said that the Duke was one of the best sellers of the wonderful brew...

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭Gyck

Available in the Front Lounge and I think Dakota...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭D'Peoples Voice

hoegaarden.jpg

i really love this stuff but i only know of three places where u can get it:

Solas, Camden St
    O'Neills, Suffolk St
    Sin e, Quays.

Anyone know of any other pubs that serve this tasty number??

EUR 5.30 (maybe it's now up to EUR5.50) in the Harbourmaster in the IFSC

EUR 5.00 in the Beacon Hotel in Sandyford

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

deadly name
    Except that when you pronounce it the way it's supposed to be pronounced (and I do, since I lived in Holland for 13 years!), barmen look at you wth a blank stare :(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

Toast in Rathmines also

• Closed Accounts Posts: 291 ✭✭kstanl

I went of a bender on that when I was living in London about 3 years ago and I was bladdered after about 5 pints. Not like me at all. Great stuff though.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Gorgeous beer, really smooth. Don't let the ponces put lemon in it. Best served in a big ice cold hoegarden 1" thick glass

• Closed Accounts Posts: 321 ✭✭MrsA

I had it in a lovely pub, in Christchurch New Zealand and I had no idea you could get it here.
    It reminds me of a very sunny day we spend in Christchurch overlooking the river and watching a lovely asian couple go in to get married.
    Happy days!
    MPA

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭damnyanks

How do you say it ?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

damnyanks wrote:
    How do you say it ?
    It's difficult to describe, but here goes ...

'Hoe' is pronounced like we would pronounce 'who', not 'hoe'

The 'g' is quite gutteral, how much depends a bit on local accent etc. Try making the kind of noise you'd make if you were trying to get a piece of troublesome phlegm out of the back of your throat, and you'd be close :)

The 'aarden' is a bit like as in "garden", but with a longer 'a' (an 'aah' sound), and to make it truly authentic you'd have to roll the 'r' a bit.

EDIT: Oh yes, and the final 'n' isn't pronounced at all really.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

rubadub wrote:
    Gorgeous beer, really smooth. Don't let the ponces put lemon in it. Best served in a big ice cold hoegarden 1" thick glass
    Who are "the ponces"? The lemon is an integral part of it, same as the lime slice in the bottle of corona. You ask for Hoegaarden in Holland you get a lemon slice in it. and a masher for the lemon slice to get the loverly lemon flavour into the beer. tastes a lot better with lemon that without in my opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 Dublin7

You can also get it in Ba Mizu in powercourt centre ! Its not that rare I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭RDM_83

Was in brussels over the Christmass break for a few days and was drinking a some Hoegaarden Grand Cru and De Verboden Vrucht (forbiden fruit), they were really really nice (and strong) is there anywhere you can get them in Dublin (prefferably not too overpriced)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,456 ✭✭✭Blisterman

You can get it in my student union. Its really weird and cloudy. It's pretty fruity tasting already. Didnt know you were supposed to put lemon in it. I gotta try that tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭malene

Who distributes this on keg? have u contact address, number etc?

Thanks

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I'd normally lock this because it's a zombie thread, but feck it, I'll fire it over to Beer, Wine & Spirits. Other people might be interested too.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,865 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

It used to be A-B InBev in Swords. They've just given all their operations over to C&C, but the address is probably the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭FruitLover

kenmc wrote: »
    The lemon is an integral part of it, same as the lime slice in the bottle of corona

The lime in Corona is to mask the taste of the third-rate beer.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭qt9ukbg60ivjrn

the bailey off grafton street has it

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭EoinHeffernan

Geoff's in Waterford also have it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

The Bierhaus on Popes Quay in Cork have it on tap.

the bailey off grafton street has it
    Geoff's in Waterford also have it.
    grenache wrote: »
    The Bierhaus on Popes Quay in Cork have it on tap.

So this is why zombie threads are locked.

IBTL.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

BeerNut wrote: »
    So this is why zombie threads are locked.
    Ha, yeah!

I doubt somehow that the OP has been waiting for 5 years for replies! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 Xander1971

Leffe is nearly as nice but Duvel will blow your mind :-)

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Ha, yeah!

I doubt somehow that the OP has been waiting for 5 years for replies! :D

probably not, but I didn't look at the date when I replied, but doesn't it save starting another thread with the same question? And thanks to those who replied after me.

mal

malene wrote: »
    doesn't it save starting another thread with the same question?
    Well, you've posted in several threads asking about beer and cider wholesale. It would be more efficient to have a single, new, wholesale drinks thread.

BeerNut wrote: »
    Well, you've posted in several threads asking about beer and cider wholesale. It would be more efficient to have a single, new, wholesale drinks thread.

hmm, true.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

kenmc wrote: »
    Who are "the ponces"? The lemon is an integral part of it, same as the lime slice in the bottle of corona. You ask for Hoegaarden in Holland you get a lemon slice in it. and a masher for the lemon slice to get the loverly lemon flavour into the beer. tastes a lot better with lemon that without in my opinion.
    The ponces are the flash git barmen, shirt undown so far you can see their belly button, with a gelled up haircut that looks bad on a 15 year old boy, but ridiculous on a 35 year old, these are the only types I see who really enforce their own "serving style". If you like it fair enough, but do you not think they should have the common courtesy to ASK, many are appalled at getting lemon in spirits, or ice in brandy, though some might prefer it. I would not like blackcurrant automatically dumped in my guinness, nor any fruit for that matter, if I want it I will ask. Pure Hoegaarden already has enough of a citrus taste for my liking, if you like it then to me it makes more sense to add lemon to other beers which are lacking it.

Corona & lime is also a pet hate of mine, most corona drinkers are only attracted to it by the gimmick of the lime, and would NEVER consider even trying another beer with lime or lemon. This really puzzles me, how they insist the lime is essential to corona yet many would never put it in other beers. It would be like having ketchup on mc cains oven chips and then going mental at the though of ketchup on birds eye chips. They never even try it...

http://thespiritworld.net/2006/02/21/that_slice_of_lemon/
    That Slice of Lemon
    Posted by Donavan February 21, 2006

I don’t have any problem with a slice of lemon or lime when drinking a Corona, but please save me from the bartenders who automatically slap a slice of lemon on the rim of my glass of wheat beer.

The world beer and whiskey authority, Michael Jackson, says that the custom of having a slice of lemon with a wheat beer started in Germany some years ago (1960s). So we Americans (and I do mean Americans from Mexico to Canada) have embraced the slice of lemon as if it were gospel or something written into the beer ten commandments. But if you don’t like that slice of lemon that’s okay, you aren’t being uncouth to ask the waiter or bartender to skip the slice of lemon that almost always comes with a wheat beer.

To be perfectly honest, I don’t really mind the lemon with a Hefeweizen because I like the refreshing addition of lemon zest to the already complex aroma. However, I usually just remove the lemon and set it aside. I never squeeze the lemon juice into the beer or (worse) toss the whole slice into the glass. I don’t really want that much lemon. Even though I don’t mind the slice of lemon, if I remember, I instruct the waiter or bartender to hold the lemon slice. Especially if its a version of Hefeweizen that I’ve never tried before.

I hope some waiters and bartenders will read this because I would like to tell you that it would be polite to ask a beer drinker if they would like a slice of lemon with their wheat beer. Don’t assume that the beer drinker wants the lemon. The reason for this is that some beer drinkers (not me) are snooty and will judge the quality of your establishment by beer faux pas such as slapping a slice of lemon on the rim of a glass of wheat beer. You’ll lose points with these snooty beer drinkers if you force the slice of lemon on them. Omitting the slice of lemon is almost always the safest thing to do.

Another reason to skip the lemon is that unless you are certain that the lemon on the rim of your glass is certified “organic” then you run the risk of exposing yourself and your beer to the pesticides embedded in the rind. Of course, the amount of pesticide is small and it won’t kill you on the spot, but the fewer pesticides you ingest the better.

Now I’m going to make an absolute statement. Never, and I mean never, put a slice of lemon on the edge of a glass of Belgian White beer (Belgian Witbier) such a Hoegaarden. This is a sin and you will burn in beer hell forever if you do this (just kidding, but the beer gods will be angry). Belgian Whites are wheat beers (up to fifty percent of their grains are wheat), but they should not be polluted with a lemon slice. Of course, if you do like your Hoegaarden (or some other Belgian White) with a lemon you should go with what you like, just don’t tell me about it.

You might think it’s funny that I’m okay with lemon with the Hefeweizen, but become unreasonable when the question of lemon with Belgian Whites is broached. My defense is that there is no tradition (that I know of) of having a lemon slice with a Belgian White. But tradition isn’t the only thing I go by. I really like Belgian Whites. I like their subtle flavors. To appreciate the bitter orange peal and coriander that are present in many Belgian Whites I don’t need the help of a lemon slice.

I don't mind lemon in coke, but would ask for it without due to things I have read about the hygiene of sliced lemons in pubs.

Advertisement