Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reputation?

Options
  • 31-07-2004 7:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭

Can someone explain how all of this works regarding reputations? I am not only new here but new to message boards...

:eek:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭Puck

Basically, if someone thinks you did something good they can award you reputation points and everyone will think you're a lovely spiffy chap. However they can also take points away from you if they think you're acting the ass.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭OY

I see!

So in my user CP it says total: 10 points.
    Is that a good or bad thing?
    Basically, if someone thinks you did something good they can award you reputation points and everyone will think you're a lovely spiffy chap.

I am a spiffy chap! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭bus77

takes one point away from nevernev for calling himself "a spiffy chap"

only 9 now :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭OY

bus77 wrote:
    takes one point away from nevernev for calling himself "a spiffy chap"

only 9 now :p

Pride is mans downfall... woe is me! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

I think it starts off with 10 points. You must understand that we have only had this system in place for one or two days so far. Much of what is in this site now has been changed very recently so many people ae getting accustomed to the change. Also maybe many of the features you see may not exist soon and some new ones may take their place.

Welcome to the bulletin boards.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

/me wounders weather off the scale is a good or bad thing :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭Lisapeep

How do you see other people's reputation levels?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Lisapeep wrote:
    How do you see other people's reputation levels?

move your mouse over the dot beside Friends / FOAF.

You start off with 10 points. Giving reputation points (positive/negative) doesn't all effect the other person. There are a number of factors, like how many points you have, how long you have been registered, etc, etc.

How far in either direction can you go on the scale?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 665 ✭✭✭skittishkitten

How many times can any one person vote for or against you? If someone REALLY doesn't like you, can they take points away to their hearts content ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭tba

How many times can any one person vote for or against you? If someone REALLY doesn't like you, can they take points away to their hearts content ?
    you appear to have only a certain amout of points (good or bad) that you can distrubute in any one day

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭Paddy20

IMO Reputation has to be a joke. Anyone wanting to be popular and obtain more - goody- points would only post what they think people will like.

This defeats the whole ethos of Boards.ie, and it's forums and threads :eek:

Get rid of it I say.

Anyone else agree with me ?...

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

I agree with you Paddy, and I'm going to give you some rep points just for that.

ahhh, somebody wants some reputaion points!

//edit--> damn you Gordon, beaten to the post

As far as I remember there is a time limit as well as other factors to stop someone doing this easy.

Also if you dont like reputation, you can switch it off. People can still send comments but wont give you any score.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭gobby

How do you activate/deactivate this feature??

I find that people are docking points from others because they just have something against that person and that reputation often has nothing to do with quality of posting!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

Lisapeep wrote:
    I find that people are docking points from others because they just have something against that person and that reputation often has nothing to do with quality of posting!

yup
    I have found the same thing

well it definitely has something to do with the quality of the person then

But that is a very subjective measure!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 10,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭ecksor

So is reputation, isn't it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭MidnightQueen

Any way of viewing how many reputation points another user has??

Lisapeep wrote:

Lisapeep,

I am with you. Docker's should be taken out and shot :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Mercury_Tilt

This post has been deleted.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 10,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭ecksor

And that, folks, is how rumours start.

he didnt deny it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Mercury_Tilt

Doesn't really matter to be honest.

At the end of the day, think of the reputation as a game, not as actual rep.

For example I get lots of negative rep (and I know who the people are, see tip below) but it doesn't do enough damage to the positive rep I get (although my explaining might :) ).

So here is how to play the Rep game.

1. Keep your head down.
    Don't talk about rep, or how right/wrong it is. People will then be conditioned to give you rep points (as your talking about them). You can use subliminal methods to trigger a person to give you rep but it has a chance of backfiring.

2. Pick the powerbases.
    There are three kinds of rep players.
    - Average Joe (uses rep as it should)
    - High level reppers (2 or more dots and/or high post count)
    - Low level reppers (in the red)

The ones you have to worry about are the greenies that are higher then you. Especially those people who may give you negative rep. Give them the negative rep before they hit you. (only the higher rep has the better effect).

3. Tell those who get good points.
    Anyone you give good points to, let them know it was you who sent them. They are more likely to give you good points back. Also let them know why you are giving them.

4. Don't tell the bad people.
    Anyone you don't like or those you think will vote you down, give them bad rep. But don't say it was you. It makes you less of a revenge target.

5. Don't give the game away.
    If you give someone negative rep, don't then go and post shortly after it (especially after the post you gave the rep on). Also don't just pick any old post that the persons name is on, as that tips them off that they have a hostile voter.

6. Spend the points on those who can bump you up.
    Give the good rep to your power base (Friends who will bump you back) and the high rep players who would be most likely to bounce you up as well.

7. IGNORE THE REP SYSTEM.
    It is a game. It is not overly reflective of a person or their posts, only those that think of you (either as a game target or actual comment). If the person had the guts for a good comment, they would put it on the thread in question. Also negative points don't really tell you anything about a person. For example ArcadeGame has 2 red dots, but truth be told as far as I know he got them for his pyramid scam advertising and not his posts on politics (which most people might think otherwise).

Now all that is over with.. if you want to play the game, give me positive rep and I'll pass some back. ;)

Hobbes,

Good God almighty. What the hell are you babbling incoherantly on about. What a load of tripe.

Someone, please shoot me NOW, and put me out of my misery :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭chewy

people being people they mostly give out negative points rather then positive...

one person gave me bad rep for asking a question he didn't have to answer

and another for some point it was clear he didn't have strong feelings for and in some way agreed with me...

and then i got some bad rep points for my less lethal thread which i can live with...

Advertisement