Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Average users since upgrade

Options
  • 31-07-2004 11:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭

I am worried my mind is playing tricks on me..

I think there has been less activity on boards since the upgrade. I know my head could be totally making this up just because of the change.

Are ye getting same number or hits or posts as before?
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,969 ✭✭✭Big Ears

At first , the Board was booming . (sure it was the biggest news in Ireland that day :rolleyes: )

but now there does seem to be much less activity .

sometimes theres a lot of posting for an hour or 2 and then extremely little the rest of the day .

:confused::confused::confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭Amz

It's a long weekend lads, most people don't sit in front of their computers all the time waiting to entertain the rest of the users with their posts about stool samples and the crazy drunken fling they had with a leprachaun on a recent trip to Killarney.

Come Tuesday/Wednesday I'd imagine the traffic will be back to "normal".

• Registered Users Posts: 78,411 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Amz wrote:
    most people don't sit in front of their computers all the time waiting to entertain the rest of the users with their posts about stool samples
    Oi! Thats it, back off. Leave my stool thread alone.

Oh em, that comment may not be about me. http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=175882

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Amz wrote:
    It's a long weekend lads, most people don't sit in front of their computers all the time waiting to entertain the rest of the users with their posts about stool samples and the crazy drunken fling they had with a leprachaun on a recent trip to Killarney.

Come Tuesday/Wednesday I'd imagine the traffic will be back to "normal".

I hate staying in looking at me computer the whole weekend.. Gotta be done thought this weekend...

As for your theory, I am not sure..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Bloody long weekends. I'll be so lonely with you lot off having fun... icon9.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭Amz

I hate staying in looking at me computer the whole weekend.. Gotta be done thought this weekend...

As for your theory, I am not sure..

Fairy nuff.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 10,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭ecksor

It's gone manic from the point of view of the forums I read, everyone posting about the colour we've painted the thing.

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

Boards is always less active at the weekend, maddeningly so on occasion.

ecksor wrote:
    It's gone manic from the point of view of the forums I read, everyone posting about the colour we've painted the thing.

Its a bit out there alright but sure what ya gonna do...

Its all just a little big I find...

Anyway, even the week days immediatly after the upgrade seemed quieter... Give me some stats baby!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I was thinking the upgrade was a cunning way of cutting traffic but the weather/weekend is proberly to blame.

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

5790b.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Sorry I haven't been online spamming all weekend. One of my selfish mates had a bar-b-que yesterday and I had to go and oh damn I'm invited to another today, how annoying with the sun shining and all.

I'm sure there are plenty of other board.ie'ers suffering because of selfish friends and family expecting them to pry themselves away from their screens because of social events. Its maddening at times !!

gandalf wrote:
    Sorry I haven't been online spamming all weekend. One of my selfish mates had a bar-b-que yesterday and I had to go and oh damn I'm invited to another today, how annoying with the sun shining and all.

I'm sure there are plenty of other board.ie'ers suffering because of selfish friends and family expecting them to pry themselves away from their screens because of social events. Its maddening at times !!

Picking up a bit of sarcasm there.....

Some of us were particularly unlucky this weekend...

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

I'd say its a combination of a few things... I'm sure we lost a good few users just over the various bugs and cookie issues we've had in the last days. Boards typically runs at 50% activity on Saturday and Sunday compared to workdays.

Also the server is running considerably slower (I feel) as a result of all the new software (we upgraded to MySql4.0 at the same time).... so people are less likely to just hang out or post frivilously.
    This happened when we went to VBB2.0 too so I aint too concerned.
    We hope to upgrade the webserver to something kick ass in the next month or two.

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭Xcom2

DeVore wrote:
    Boards typically runs at 50% activity on Saturday and Sunday compared to workdays.DeV.

So 50% of people post here when there supposed to be working?

I really do have the wrong job! :(

G

Good stuff..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭regi

Actually, we upgraded to mysql 4 quite a long time ago, really helped to speed things up at the time. Most of the new load is on the webserver, php is working a lot harder with this version of VBB.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

Beat it Regi, beat that php like the... hell I don't even know what php is really.. but beat it hard. With sticks!

(night shift reprasent)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭Spunog UIE

it still annoyingly slow for me, go back go back! :D Feels like i'm back on the old 56k :S

Gideon wrote:
    it still annoyingly slow for me, go back go back! :D Feels like i'm back on the old 56k :S

Maybe its a ploy bu the IOFFL crowd to increase BB usage?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭Lainey

i find it quieter since college ended.. no free net time... maybe i'm wrong..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

Maybe its a ploy bu the IOFFL crowd to increase BB usage?

/adds jtg to the list

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭SantaHoe

Actually, I just noticed something...
    In the change styles menu, you can see how many people use what style... seems like only people who've been around since the changeover are counted since there were thousands accumulated there before.
    Factor in Bubbles ~65 troll accounts and I guess you've got how many active people there are at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

i know that i check boards far less since the upgrade. I think its a psychological thing , it just seems like hassle to make it thru the uglyness for not enough reward.

going to switch to cloud skin to see if that helps me :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭SantaHoe

Nah tbh, I think they ruined the could theme... using "grey" atm, seems the least of 4 evils.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭Exit

amp wrote:
    5790b.jpg

Mike Murphy obviously has nothing better to do with his time.

Advertisement