Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

need feed back for my web site

Options
  • 01-08-2004 12:42am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 19

Hi, I have opened my own website to compliment my shop, I am not too well versed in html or php but I had loads of help, and finally have it ready to roll.
    Could you guys come in and give me some feed back.
    I?d like your advice on what to add and what to remove, what look good and what not.
    http://www.complete-computer-care.co.uk
    Thanks in advance,
    ZaxxoN

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,195 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

the images of the laptops are very jaggy (the rollovers etc)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭Dun

I have to agree with RobertFoster, but what niggles me the most about many people who spend hours creating sites, is the lack of grammar / spelling checking!

Here's some examples of what I mean (attached) - it can take away from the professionalism of your site/business.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,195 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

huge chunks of text actually turn me off reading what the site is about - IMO, only give detail where it's needed (i.e. system specs etc)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 zaxxon

thnks for the gramma/spelling corrections, english is my 3rd language and i often make mistakes i spell checked it twice but fell short,
    thanks again

well the site has been up now for a while, cant say that it had a flurry of activity, but it was busy at t imes , and generated a bit of business.
    i am now thinking of redoing it. a bt of spring cleaning and redocarting.
    2 questions.
    1. is there any talented designe/coder out there who will be interested in the job ??
    and
    2. does any one have any suggestion on wht needs to be removed, added or changed ?

will be great to get some user feedback

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

The drop-down menus are a bit odd... they only appear under certain link categories with no indication of which ones do or don't have sub-menus... and the time for them to appear is a bit slow, which adds to the initial confusion.
    Then on other pages the dropdowns don't appear at all... :eek:
    If I didn't know better I'd think you were trying to mess with my head.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 reptonite

a) The dropdown 'Desktops' offers laptops beneath it. Change it to something like 'Computers'.

b) I commend you sir on an imaginative way to advertise your site! :D

M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭jjmax

I'd try and reduce the amount of text.
    Make the text resizable in IE by useing relative sizes i.e. ems or %
    Maybe change the colour of the text in the main body so it stands out better, although this could be my screwy eyes or my screwy monitor.
    Just some ideas to start with, I think the layout is fine in general, though I'd have a look at the menus and put popups for each of the options.
    You can do that popup thing without Javascript, check:
    http://www.seoconsultants.com/css/menus/horizontal/
    It doesn't do a nice animated popup but I think it's better.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭rsynnott

You seem to be using American spellings. Don't do this unless your target market is American.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Red03

Hi,

Know the feeling spending hours building a web site that’s what I have been doing and I still have the web store to finish!!

All I can say is to repeat other posts and that’s the spelling, people will think your not bothered if you use American spelling etc and the "components" bar does not work!!

take a look at our site www.lantec.ie it's still a work in progress but I think were getting there.

I would appreciate any thoughts suggestions on the layout, design and navigation.

I was also wondering if there are any webmasters out there willing to provide links to our site and in return we would provide return links and very good pricing on any of our 17,000 products!!

• Advertisement

Red03 wrote:
    Hi,

Know the feeling spending hours building a web site that’s what I have been doing and I still have the web store to finish!!

All I can say is to repeat other posts and that’s the spelling, people will think your not bothered if you use American spelling etc and the "components" bar does not work!!

take a look at our site www.lantec.ie it's still a work in progress but I think were getting there.

I would appreciate any thoughts suggestions on the layout, design and navigation.

I was also wondering if there are any webmasters out there willing to provide links to our site and in return we would provide return links and very good pricing on any of our 17,000 products!!

Constantly moving stuff up the top is v. annoying. Two exclamation marks are never appropriate - one, yes, three, eh, maybe, two, no. Some of the wording is a little odd. Otherwise looks good.

Thanks for your comments rsynnott, thought the flash was nice not too intrusive!!! (note 3 exclamation marks... not 2!)

What wording is odd?

Red03 wrote:
    Thanks for your comments rsynnott, thought the flash was nice not too intrusive!!! (note 3 exclamation marks... not 2!)

What wording is odd?

I was thinking particularly of
    What is it? Simply it's a change from reactive support to a Proactive (Managed) service. Find out what the advantages are ....

Besides the odd wording, the capitalisation is broken; reactive and proactive should be capitalised the same way (I'd suggest no capital).

Oh, also, the search box doesn't work (on Safari; haven't tested it on anything else).

Besides the odd wording, the capitalisation is broken; reactive and proactive should be capitalised the same way (I'd suggest no capital).

Oh, also, the search box doesn't work (on Safari; haven't tested it on anything else).

yep see your point on the capitalisation an oversight, I'll correct that.

The search box doesn't work as I just haven't had time to get my head around how it works!! It was just stuck in there and to be honest I don’t see the need for a search box at present but were going to be adding a guide to what SMB companies need in terms of IT infrastructure etc... and I can see it being used then.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

I agree with Rsynnot, the moving images at the top make the page look "busier" than it really is. Can't say I'm digging the colour scheme either (grey + blue) but that might just be me.

Take the search box out until you use it, people will use it otherwise and it has such a prime spot at the top for no reason otherwise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭jjmax

hey red03,
    Nice site.
    I'd put a margin around the edge though, or on the right column anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭vito

Red03 wrote:
    Hi,

Nice enough site but a few observations:
    1. font size for main text is smaller than that of LHS and RHS columns - this draws the readers focus to those areas rather than the main text; Colour scheme is also having this effect. My eyes just move toward that RHS column when I look at the page (maybe a good thing?).
    2. On the homepage the welcome block is centered whereas all other content is justified. I would consider using a consistant approach - it sorta feels like someone without much experience just copy/pasted that welcome block.
    3. Maybe consider making the banner a bit smaller in height - it takes up quite some portion of the screen and personally I think you can put all those functions in a banner area half the height. This will reduce the amount of scrolling that has to be done.

Out of curiousity, did you design yourself or use a template?

Nice site

Rgds and sorry if above is not helpful

Vito

thanks for the feedback,
    i havent even noticed but my spell checker (as you rightly pointed out) was set to american english. the site is giving me such a head ache. i know i need to finish and polish it off, but i cant find the time to get the know how,or the talent... any one out there reckon he can finish the job for me ?
    obviously will pay for the pleasure.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭m_stan

I might know someone who can help. PM me for details

• Registered Users Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

Red03 wrote:
    Hi,

Hmm...nice idea...but has a bit of a cheap ass feel to it, good concept but just doesnt look very professional IMO

• Advertisement
Advertisement