Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eye of the Beholder Series

Options
  • 01-08-2004 10:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭

Has anyone tried playing this recently? I never completed the first game and this time I'm determined to complete it. One thing I notice is that during character generation you can manually modify your team's attributes. Isn't that considered cheating especially since there doesn't seem to any limit to how much you can increase attributes? <well the prerolled team tends me ill-prepared anyway>. :confused:

Is there any modern RPG equivalent today or is the genre type really left behind for good?

What part of the trilogy did you like the most? The 2nd one looks good and seems to be most liked... but I must get through this first. :eek:

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,391 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Haven't played them. Are they the console games?
    Remember there was a mega cd version of one of the 3d ones with music by the streets of rage composer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Captain Trips

hamster wrote:
    Has anyone tried playing this recently? I never completed the first game and this time I'm determined to complete it. One thing I notice is that during character generation you can manually modify your team's attributes. Isn't that considered cheating especially since there doesn't seem to any limit to how much you can increase attributes? <well the prerolled team tends me ill-prepared anyway>. :confused:

Is there any modern RPG equivalent today or is the genre type really left behind for good?

What part of the trilogy did you like the most? The 2nd one looks good and seems to be most liked... but I must get through this first. :eek:

I don't think you were able to increase all your attributes, I thought it was just youd had a set number of points and could divide it out the way you saw fit. Unless you got it from bhlegends or something.

Great game. Ultima Underworld was another good one, but the old beholder ones like Dungeon Master had a bit of character. The end Beholder was very tough, I think there were loads of them in the second. Nice thing in those games was the in game artwork (esp. number 3). Still drawings conveyed exactly what artist was trying to show without limitations on3D card, CPU speed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭TinCool

Lands Of Lore is the sequel to Eye of the Beholder 2. It's a quality game. Looks to be on abandonware now http://www.the-underdogs.org/game.php?id=1324

• Registered Users Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

I loved 1 and 2 on the Amiga, then got all three for the PC and was disugusted at how badly they were ported. The originals were excellent though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭hamster

_CreeD_ wrote:
    I loved 1 and 2 on the Amiga, then got all three for the PC and was disugusted at how badly they were ported. The originals were excellent though.

Yeah, I heard that the 3rd one was a terrible version on the PC. Never made it to the Amiga. Not surprised since it was insane for hard disk accessing. I never tried version 3... what in earth did they try in eob3 that caused it to be so bad? :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭Lex_Diamonds

Were they clones of the Dungeon Master games?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭hamster

Were they clones of the Dungeon Master games?

Yes. Essentially they are. Dungeon Master was the first and everyone tried to copy that success afterwards. SSI's EOB series (I,II) on the Amiga did very well. While I'm at it... in many ways I miss certain things from DM that aren't in EOB. For example, you don't have weights for items (swords, flask, armour etc). Items tended to be descriptive.

In EOB, you can pick up a magical dagger but you don't have a clue what it's bonus is, ie. it has +2 to hit but you don't see that. How the hell did the guys at LSD Docs (Amiga diskmag series) see that? I hated that in EOB. :confused:

EOB provides more variety in dungeons - ie, you start in the red sewers and go through 3 other different layouts... the Dwarf levels are similar to DM's stone work levels.

Actually, are there any EOB fans about? I'd like to hear what you thought of the game. :eek:

Other good DM clones to try would be Captive I & II (futuristic) and Black Crypt.

I never did complete it.... got to the 2nd last level but it's goin' down this week.

Advertisement