Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Over the bar..

• 01-08-2004 2:32pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭

Have you notice over the last couple of years the number of players *trying* to get more high in their kick to get it over the bar.. Than just the sample kicking the ball over the bar to get the point..

by trying to get more high in the kick - they are losing the accuracy.. are do they not realise this.

What that all about?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,647 ✭✭✭impr0v

Yeah, some players seem quite fond of lifting it skywards when the easier option would seem to be being more direct. The individual players must find that they get more accuracy with it.

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Well I wish Jason Reilly and Gerald Pierson would have kicked their attempts at points a little higher. If they did we might still be in the championship. :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Flukey

It is a bit strange when there is no opposing player nearby. It makes for some spectacular points if they are from far out, but there are an awful lot of bad wides from what should have been simple direct points.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Yavvy

for me when I am shooting from 30+ years I tend to put the ball up in the sky... I do find that I can get more power and distance (unless gaininst a heavy windy..then I try a drop kick), Also I find it more natural ( as when I practive form far out that how I practice.

However from inside 30 years or so (unless right out on the side line) I tend to drill the ball straight and hard. hopefully with the ball cruzing 5-6 feet over the bar.. I do this for two reasons, one its harder to block and two, its more accurate for that distance

30 years? That must be some kick you have if you can kick into the future! Do you ever get your balls back? :)

Seriously though, yes from a distance it needs a bit of height, but you will often see fellas kicking high balls when there is no player near them and they are not that far out. OK, sometimes the kick them too short and the keeper can take them easily. A bit of height and power is needed from close in, but not the garryowens that we see at times. Some of the worst wides are from fellas balooning a ball a mile wide with one of these big kicks, when they could have easily had a more direct shot at the goal or done something more positive with the ball.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Yavvy

years ??jesus how did I do that ? I think someone is tinkering with my account..or my mind, could be time travelers ?

Anywho.. I guess people just geel more comfortable over kicking a ball than under.

Next time you do kick the ball into the future, stick a note on it asking the person who finds it to write the winning Lotto numbers on it before they return it to you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Poocher

Jonny my friend

This technique, i beleive was mastered by the Antrim Senior Footballs in 1983 and has remained a great tactic of theres since, kick the ball high and wide. lol (if we can laugh about it, its not worth doin).

Seriously though i have noticed this new method of kicking, if you can call it that, some tyrone players must have been training in antrim after seeing the wides they racked up against mayo and galway

It has become widespread at this stage, whoever it was that started it. Mayo would appear in recent years to have a very good training scheme for kicking balls wide. It has been highly successful for many years. It would appear they have not been practicing it as much this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Mighty_Mouse

Tony McManus style!

• Advertisement

A great Roscommon player. That team could have won an All-Ireland, if they weren't unfortunate enough to be there when the two great Dublin and Kerry teams were around. Mick O'Dwyer says that of the 8 All-Irelands that Kerry won in that era, the one they shouldn't have won was the 1980 final against Roscommon. Roscommon were flying but changed tactics in the second half to a tougher style of play and ended up losing by 3 points.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭AndRoiD

Poocher wrote:
    Jonny my friend

This technique, i beleive was mastered by the Antrim Senior Footballs in 1983 and has remained a great tactic of theres since, kick the ball high and wide. lol (if we can laugh about it, its not worth doin).
    At least we added something to the GAA. tho i have noticed that at senior level not many players are willing to attempt to hit points from just 45yards out, they prefer to ****in kick it from the inside of the 14yard line.

Advertisement