Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bandwidth limiting

• 01-08-2004 3:56pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭

Since we got broadband at home, my sis has been making the most out of it and bittorrent. Unfortunately download priority usually goes to bittorrent because it's has tonnes of threads running at the same time. Thus slowing everyone else on the network down. Is there a program I can remote adminstrate to control the amount of bandwidth used on a per user basis? Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

http://www.netlimiter.com/

I've never used it but I've heard good things about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

With Net Limiter you can set bandwith for individual programs, you can throttle your sister without her knowing about it. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

if you're feeling really mean, throttle her to 1kb/sec and tell her your ISP did it.

Netlimiter is the bees knees though, you can't beat it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭CivilServant

Cool, can you stop anyone from changing the settings? By using a password or some such device.

Also can netlimiter be changed remotely?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

Cool, can you stop anyone from changing the settings? By using a password or some such device.

Also can netlimiter be changed remotely?
    No, no and no unfortunately .... well maybe with later versions you can ... if your sister is smart she may circumvent you by using another application or changing the port range (latest shadows experimental uses ports 10000 to 60000 by default) :mad: daft feckers

• Advertisement

BigEejit wrote:
    if your sister is smart she may circumvent you by changing the port range (latest shadows experimental uses ports 10000 to 60000 by default) :mad: daft feckers

Don't worry, it does limiting by application, not by port :p

As for using different apps, you'll just have to limit each app as she tries it. But that's fairly easy :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

Uh. Unless netlimiter is a feature-rich packet sniffer aswell as a bandwidth shaper, it doesn't limit by application. What it more than likely does is have a list of applications with the ports each one uses in a database, so that it's made easy for people to limit common stuff.

If a program uses random ports, it'd be neigh-on-impossible to consistently block with something like that so you'll have to fall back on limiting the total traffic allowed for her ip.

Moriarty wrote:
    Uh. Unless netlimiter is a feature-rich packet sniffer aswell as a bandwidth shaper, it doesn't limit by application.
    Well maybe it is. Because i limit by application, not by port. It lists running applications in its main window, andonce you set a limit, it remembers it from that app.

You know when you hit CTRL-ALT-DEL in XP,and look at the running processes screen? YOu get something very like that in Netlimiter, the running processes and the bandwidth they are using.

Each program always has the same name in the ctrl-alt-del screen, and so has the same name in the netlimiter screen, and i presume it uses this name to limit on a per application basis.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

But that's local only, which is useless for what civilservant wants.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Boro

Since we got broadband at home, my sis has been making the most out of it and bittorrent. Unfortunately download priority usually goes to bittorrent because it's has tonnes of threads running at the same time. Thus slowing everyone else on the network down. Is there a program I can remote adminstrate to control the amount of bandwidth used on a per user basis? Thanks in advance.
    Unless you are using your own computer as a gateway (which is not always practical) instead of using a router, then you dont really have any way to restrict bandwidth remotely to your sisters computer (unless you configure her network adapter to run at a lower speed - eg set a wireless to B or fiddle around with that). The only thing you can do is install a program on her machine. Set your sisters account to user (not administrator) and run one of these programs like netlimiter as a system service (so that she cant turn it off).

Dont know of any limiters off-hand that can run silently/passworded.

• Advertisement
Advertisement