Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Palios resigns from FA

• 01-08-2004 11:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭

Mark Palios tonight resigned as chief executive of the UK Football Association.

Palios informed FA chairman Geoff Thompson of his decision at 6pm, and it was accepted with immediate effect.

While Palios insists he has done nothing wrong, his position had come under increasing pressure after this morning’s News of the World claimed that director of communications Colin Gibson had offered a full and extensive account of England coach Sven-Goran Eriksson’s relationship with FA secretary Faria Alam in exchange for keeping Palios – with whom Alam also had a relationship – out of the story.

Mr Gibson appeared to confirm his conversations with the newspaper with a statement he issued this morning.

He said: “Last week I complied with the FA enquiry, gave them complete details of the events of July 24, including transcripts of telephone calls, my minute-to-minute movements and supplied them with a complete list of all my telephone calls.

“The FA knew about the details last week and the story about brokering a deal.”

Palios said tonight: “I am very sad that I feel this is necessary.

“It has been a privilege to be chief executive of the Football Association but with privilege comes the burden of responsibility.”

Also.....
    Director of communications Colin Gibson offers his resignation to the UK Football Association board.

The FA board will announce a decision on Gibson's future tomorrow.

Slight over-reaction on the FA's part?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

This takes some of the pressure off Sven. Which the FA as a whole won't mind as it spares the suits the agony of making a hard decision.

Headline from the Independent.
    'It was not sensible for Palios to dip his pen in the office ink'

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

My god this lot are making the FAI look professional. I knew it was a bad idea for the FA to have their headquarters in Soho !!! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,178 ✭✭✭beer enigma

I feel very sorry for Palios & Sven.......Gibson got what he deserved.

I have to be honest in that I do know Mark Palios personally, so you may consider this a biased view......

Gibson seems to have gone on a power trip & organised the release off of his own back. I think Palios has gone as he feels this whole mess makes his position impossible. Palios & Sven had their differences, but I don't think Mark Palios would have agreed to the tactics used.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

>>>Gibson seems to have gone on a power trip & organised the release off of his own back

Have to agree, he is the real villian, what an idiot. He should be slaughtered, and to be fair, neither Eriksson and Palios should have to resign.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,178 ✭✭✭beer enigma

Bateman wrote:
    >>>Gibson seems to have gone on a power trip & organised the release off of his own back

Have to agree, he is the real villian, what an idiot. He should be slaughtered, and to be fair, neither Eriksson and Palios should have to resign.

Jeez Bateman...you agreeing with me for once :) - I must be getting soft in my old age......

In fairness....what a shambles.

Why is it that the English FA seem to make a b*lls up of everything. We've had so many country managers over the past decade, it would be impossible to expect consitancy or success. The one time they get a manager who has hinted as success (Euro 2004 was out best shot yet), they try to undermine him.

Power trips..........

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

In fairness, Eriksson went and shagged the PA, he bottled it against Brazil in WC02, he isn't the perfect manager. However, that something pathetic like this is bringing him down (if it does) is a poor reflection on the FA.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭The Brigadier

The reason Palio resigned is not so much that he played on the company pitch. What had happened was the press were due to run a story on Palios and the secretary. An offer came from the communications office offering the story of Ericsson in return for Palios being dropped.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 660 ✭✭✭naitkris

this is such a mess when it shouldn't be one in the first place. can't understand why a person's peronal life has so much to do with their job that they get sacked or must resign for it...

Advertisement