Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

o2 germany

Options
  • 02-08-2004 12:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭

i've gotten a contract on o2 germany, and included is the deal (link)is the ability to choose your 'homezone' - a place from which you can use your mobile at fixed-line rates. you get two phone numbers - a local number and a mobile number, and people can reach you on the local number (i.e. call you at local rate) if you're within 500m of the address that you've registered. so i can go to the shops/college/parts of town and still avail of the cheap rates. so the question is... why don't/can't o2 ireland introduce the same thing? surely they'd destroy both the fixed-line and mobile operators?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭alleepally

carrotcake wrote:
    i've gotten a contract on o2 germany, and included is the deal (link)is the ability to choose your 'homezone' - a place from which you can use your mobile at fixed-line rates. you get two phone numbers - a local number and a mobile number, and people can reach you on the local number (i.e. call you at local rate) if you're within 500m of the address that you've registered. so i can go to the shops/college/parts of town and still avail of the cheap rates. so the question is... why don't/can't o2 ireland introduce the same thing? surely they'd destroy both the fixed-line and mobile operators?

My guess would be that the German fixed line market is not tied to one operator they way it is here.

A very good offering though. Wonder do UK or German O2 customers ever look at O2's site and think "Wow, nice offer those Irish O2 customers have." ? Maybe the buy a phone now and get a new one in November deal ? That's pretty good I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭gobby

That is such a great idea. I wonder how it is possible for them to do this without making a loss though. There must be some re routing jizz jazz going on there and I would think that that sort of thing aint free!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

I saw O2 UK advertising this recently...

Why its not happened here. Possibly a lack of competition in the mobile and landline markets...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭JTMan

Yeah ... it is all to do with competition. Why should O2 Ireland bother when they are making huge profits with the currentl high tarrifs?
    I saw O2 UK advertising this recently...

Yeah ... o2 had that cool ad with the crashing down landlines on TV recently.

I think I read something about BT and T-mobile wanting to do this together in the UK as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭flywheel

Fungus wrote:
    Yeah ... o2 had that cool ad with the crashing down landlines on TV recently.

great idea alright, it's based on Post Code, although currently only for business customers there:
    O2 Business Zones

BrianG

• Advertisement
Advertisement