Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

U.TV Clicksilver/ Zyxel ADSL installation problem ?...

• 02-08-2004 2:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭

I received my ZyXEL Prestige 630-C1 series modem from Clicksilver on the 22/07/04. Since then I have experienced a nightmare.

When I try and install the modem, I keep receiving the message " Network:- ZyXEL ADSL Modem Wan Adapter must have ndiswan installed ".

For the first time ever. I must admit that I am extremely at a loss with U.TV Clicksilver 'Technical support'. I have lost track of the number of times that I have spoken to them to no avail. The last thing that I was advised by one of their techies, was "Contact your computer manufacturer".

Now, I have never had any trouble in four years of using my Medion computer which has the Windows Me (OEM) operating system.

However, since this nightmare began it has frozen, it has crashed, needed a complete system re-installation. Yet I am still getting nowhere. One of Clicksilver's technical support, said I should call their Supervisor, a Mr Charles McRoberts and get another modem and installation disc sent out to me. As the one I have seems to be "faulty or corrupt". I have tried calling this Gent and left messages asking for him to give me a call as his extension is always engaged. Yet no return call or even an e-mail from him ?... :confused:

Anyone have any idea what the problem might be ?..as I am about to crack up.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,018 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Windows ME.

Oh my god, put one foot wrong with that operating system and it WILL punish you.

Have you any access to Windows 2000 or Windows XP?

Other that that it could be the method you use to install. AFAIK the default instructions involve plugging in modem then letting Windows pick the drivers off the CD. This works fine in 2000/XP but in 95/98/ME you have to run the setup program that's on the CD. The setup program will ask you a weird question or two. (I think there's somewhere you have to pick a network protocol, choose PPPoE).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭Paddy20

Stark,

Yes, I have tried all that with the help of the Clicksilver Technical Support techies, spent around 2 hours working online with one guy who gave up in the end as that message kept appearing and blocking any progress.

I even downloaded the modem users manual from ZyXEL, and followed their troubleshooting advice.

Still stuck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,018 ✭✭✭✭Stark

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Ripwave

Paddy20 wrote:
    Anyone have any idea what the problem might be ?..as I am about to crack up.
    This might be a silly question, but have you ever used your computer on the internet with a dialup modem?

It sounds as though NDIS isn't even installed on your computer, and it should be a basic part of the networking setup. I've never used WinME, and it's been a long time since I used Win9x, but I think if you go into the Windows Setup on Add/Remove Programs in the Control Panel, you should be able to remove the networking components, reboot, and then re-add them, which should give you a clean network install, including the NDISWAN drivers, which are an integral part of Windows networking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭jonski

Not great on the tech side Paddy20 but after a bit of searching around this was the best I could come up with .

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=http://support.microsoft.com:80/support/kb/articles/q166/8/32.asp&NoWebContent=1

Surprised with UTV tech support , with all the bad things I have said about UTV , tech support was never one of them , those guys usually go to any and all lenghts to solve the problem , actually I get the feeling that some have left UTV and more are on Holidays .

John

• Advertisement

Surprise, surprise, but I have just received an e-mail from Clicksilver tech support :eek: . Stating that they are arranging for another modem & disc to be sent out to me ?.. strange how effective posting a problem on Boards.ie's:- "Broadband forum" gets the response I have been waiting for from U.TV Clicksilver tech support.

Just shows, you never know who is 'looking in' eh.

I have been working on all the suggestions,no joy yet, but must go and have a lie down in a darkened room now.

As my brain hurts :confused:

Will keep you all updated, and sincere thanks, for now. ;)

Received new ZyXel modem from UTV Clicksilver. Plugged it in to usb port and it installed itself in about a minute.

Currently my computer broadband connection is operating at 512.0 Kbps and I am stunned at how fast everything loads :D

This is some learning curve, and U.TV Clicksilver are back in my good books.

Magic.

Thanks everyone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭jonski

Good news there Paddy20 , now go and post it in the Ireland offline forum so ppl get a balanced view of whats going on .

Jonski,

Already did that on the IrelandOFFline forum thread " Clicksilver users gather here " :)

Advertisement