Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Warez

Options
  • 02-08-2004 2:55pm
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I know this is a touchy subjet and I know why such threads get shut down on the board but in realation to the 'Doom 3 leaked" thread in the Games section, surely people are allowed to talk about a warez release of a game or effects it will have.

1. Posting about Warez.
    This means that if you post anything on how to obtain, copy, hax0r, backup, get a serial number for or otherwise copy or circumvent copy protection.

I guess in the thread there was a link to a copyrighted manual but was that the only reason?

I'm just curious as I thought the discussion of warez as a concept was allowed.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 696 ✭✭✭Kevok

Someone posted a link to a scanned copy of the manual which is copyrighted material. (Hosted on his boards member space :rolleyes: )

• Registered Users Posts: 8,969 ✭✭✭Big Ears

Boards: feel freely about where to obtain illegal Drugs on the After Hours forum .

Boards/games: if you even mention warez you are banned .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

There is one little difference.

Warez is ripping off the people who put the work into creating a commercial product. I don't think I know of anyone stupid enough to try to get bootleg drugs, though... Hence, you're still supporting the drug industry, but freeloading off the computer programming one.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

But the ban on warez discussion is not due to moral considerations and the feelings of software companies but so that the board doesn't get shut down. I would have thought that the same discussions on drugs would deserve the same treatment.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

In all fairness, www.gamespot.com, one of the biggest games sites has photos of the manual... Not exactly a big deal now, especially with such a big release.. Its just like someone posting phots of the DVD case, the graphics on the disc and the booklet you get with it just to show people whats in the package. Most of the stuff about manuals was used to prove that someone actually had the game when people doubted them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

Only the people who posted torrent links got banned. Others, like, who were basically saying they were going to break the law or had broken the law were not actually banned. One user got a warning for requesting links to warez.

Discussing warez as a concept is fine and nobody was banned for that. I probably should have phrased the warning at the end better.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

In all fairness, www.gamespot.com, one of the biggest games sites has photos of the manual... Not exactly a big deal now, especially with such a big release..

just because loads of people are doing it does not make it legitimate. there were millions of people using napster yet it was still seen as copyright infringment.

would this also apply to television forums where leaked scripts of movies are posted i imagine it would

• Registered Users Posts: 78,411 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Big Ears wrote:
    Boards: feel freely about where to obtain illegal Drugs on the After Hours forum . Boards/games: if you even mention warez you are banned .
    Ah, but you can't download drugs from a bnoards hyperlink. :)
    There is one little difference. Warez is ripping off the people who put the work into creating a commercial product. I don't think I know of anyone stupid enough to try to get bootleg drugs, though... Hence, you're still supporting the drug industry, but freeloading off the computer programming one.
    Morphine. Heroin. Morphine. Heroin. Morphine. Heroin. Morphine. Heroin.

Morphine. Heroin.

More of less the same drug, slightly different drug industry.

Victor wrote:
    Ah, but you can't download drugs from a boards hyperlink. :)

Could we see this in a future update maybe?

Could be a popular hack ! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 5,889 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

amp wrote:
    One user got a warning for requesting links to warez.

IT WAS ME!!!!! :D

thanks for the warning amp as I actually wasnt aware of this. gues i should not a be lazy muppet and read the charter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

No worries.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Quite a few posters, myself included, make their livings from the IT industry. If wholesale piracy is allowed to be fostered on this board or any other board my job is in jeopardy. The mods are right on this one.

just because loads of people are doing it does not make it legitimate. there were millions of people using napster yet it was still seen as copyright infringment.

would this also apply to television forums where leaked scripts of movies are posted i imagine it would

Gamespot.com is one of the biggest games sites on the Internet. They are run by cnet and are completely legit. I could have included some muppets site with the pics, but I choose one with millions of users. Get off the high horse for a second there and put it in perspective.

To be bluntly honest. I downloaded the game. Why? I paid for it last week and it wont be shipped to be for another two weeks. Problem with that?

Hagar wrote:
    Quite a few posters, myself included, make their livings from the IT industry. If wholesale piracy is allowed to be fostered on this board or any other board my job is in jeopardy. The mods are right on this one.

This is a whole different argument to be honest.. Some could use the argument that people who make a living of IT make a ridiculous amount of money by ripping customers off, with one particular one being the richest man in the world.. I wouldnt use this argument as I too make a living through IT but someone people dont see it as black and white. Ever downloaded an MP3? No? Doubt it.

I don't think anyone was talking about wholesale piracy Hagar.

As Jesus said, it was posted on Gamespot which is as legit as it get.
    Of course it doesn't mean that it should automattically be posted here but it's not exactly viewed as warez IMHO.

No problem with that! I grabbed it too a few days ago as I won't get it for another 2 weeks here in France.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,901 ✭✭✭Vexorg

Links to warez are not allowed on boards.ie period anyone posting links has always been and will always be banned when caught!

End of Story.... Discuss to your hearts content, just do not post a link to it or where to get it, if you found boards you are quite capable to find your own warez.

Thx

V.

Thread Closed

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement