Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quinn shames Clare & hurling in Thurles v Kilkenny

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Flukey

Let's take a more neutral analysis of this. Obviously Gerry Quinn would not have wanted to inflict the injury in question on Henry Shefflin. Both players have their eye on the ball throughout. Quinn does not even slightly turn his head towards Shefflin. The two were jockeying for position, with Quinn slightly in front of Shefflin and trying to secure his position. Quinn certainly deliberately swung his arm back, so there was intent, but I do not think it was intent to injure Shefflin as he did. It is the level intent that is the real issue. He should be punished, but I dont' think there was a deliberate intent to do exactly what he did. 9 times out of 10 the hurley would not have gone clear through the face guard.

He made two efforts to get Shefflin away from him, with the second one having drastic and unfortunte consequences, not ones Quinn intended. I am not defending him, but trying to give a more realistic analysis of what happened based on seeing the video several times now. According to the papers today, Quinn has made contact with Shefflin over the incident and they spoke at length. Kilkenny are not making an official complaint as the video evidence is clear enough and they are leaving it to the GAA to take action.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,307 ✭✭✭cruiserweight

According to the Independent today Gerry Quinn is not happy with RTEs coverage of the incident.
    Clare's Quinn to pursue legal action against RTE
    Thursday August 12th 2004

CLARE hurler Gerry Quinn is considering legal action against RTE over the Sunday Game coverage of the incident that left Henry Shefflin requiring an operation to repair a tear duct.

Legal representatives are understood to have despatched correspondence to the station seeking a retraction of the comments made on the show on the Sunday night after Clare's Qualifier defeat to Kilkenny.

The incident, for which Quinn categorically stated there was no intent, was captured by RTE cameras and placed under the microscope by the Sunday Game team on the Sunday night.

Shefflin, who was left with blood streaming down his face, and Kilkenny officials were irate after the match but left it to the GAC to decide what action to take.

Quinn and the Clare County Board are deeply unhappy at the comments of the Sunday Game panelists that night, former Cork hurler Tomás Mulcahy and Larry O'Gorman who retired from Wexford earlier this year.

It is not clear what particular comments Quinn has based his grounds for seeking a retraction on.

But feelings in Clare continue to run high over the coverage of the incident, something that was referred to in a statement issued by Board officials together with the Clare squad last weekend.

Does not sounds like the actions of someone who purposefully went out to injure somebody, if he had he would probably stay quiet and wait for it to blow over! Obviously he is not happy with being demonised and does not want gain a reputation, although some people are more than happy to give him one!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 366 ✭✭kilkennycat2004

Smart move by the Clare publican.
    Maybe the licensed vintners will foot the bill as they do with other lost causes like the reversal of the smoking ban :D

Flukey wrote:
    Gerry Quinn was involved in some sort of incident a few years back alright. I forget the actual details.

he pure made s**t of Mark O learys hand with a chop before the throw in back 2001. seen o leary in thurles in a pub almost a year and a half later. his hand was pure buckled. later got an operation but has not been the same player since said that he scored 2 something in ai final in 2001 so he could not have been that bad

Big Ears wrote:
    to say it would be hard to hit him in the eye intentionelly is not exactly true .

Shefflin wears a Kilkenny guard (named this because Kilkenny players were the first to use this type of guard , but now days players from many counties wear this type of guard) where there is only 2 horizontal bars across the guard . one at the top and one in the middle . There is a huge area to aim at and once a player hits above the mouth he is likely to conncet with somones eye with this type of faceguard .

I didnt see the incident though so I cant give my own opinion as to what went on .

shefflin actually broke his tear duct in that game. Had to get stitches there and then and later got an op in waterford regional

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,980 ✭✭✭Big Ears

he pure made s**t of Mark O learys hand with a chop before the throw in back 2001. seen o leary in thurles in a pub almost a year and a half later. his hand was pure buckled. later got an operation but has not been the same player since said that he scored 2 something in ai final in 2001 so he could not have been that bad

I am a far off relative of Mark O'leary , what that has to do with you're post I dont know .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,832 ✭✭✭Waylander

Was it not the Clare player Brian Quinn that did that?

Big Ears wrote:
    I am a far off relative of Mark O'leary , what that has to do with you're post I dont know .

I am just making the point that Gerry Quinn and i am sure twas gerry has a malicious streak in him and would stoop to deliberately harming a player. Suppose we do not know for sure at the end of the day

Advertisement