Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clicksliver Oh Dear!

• 02-08-2004 7:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭

I thought according to Charles (UTV Guru) that a bandwidth upgrade was due! Well its sure needs to be done soon. Pings to UTV 160-220 ms, rubbish download speeds today. I'm sure glad I'm not a gamer, Cos I'd be gone elsewhere rapid.

AE

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭PowerHouseDan

Ya i no speeds are shocking connected at 180kps pings are shocking,no point in downloading anything today,what the point in have a 24;1 ratio with 16g download would you can do fu3k all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

Ya i no speeds are shocking connected at 180kps pings are shocking,no point in downloading anything today,what the point in have a 24;1 ratio with 16g download would you can do fu3k all
    I know what you mean, you can't game and everything seems slow, but at least you can still easily crack your download limit if you so wish. You can do i withiin a week :p

But for stuff you wanted 5 minutes ago, its just not good enough :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,018 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Download speeds are fine for me. Pings have always been ****.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 959 ✭✭✭kin9pin

Downstream 144 Kbps (18.0 KB/sec) 155 Kbps (inc. overheads)
    Upstream 104 Kbps (13.0 KB/sec) 112 Kbps (inc. overheads

Speedtest from adslguide. I give up

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Aepos

I'm getting delays of average 190ms on the UTV Internet Backbone 195.218.116.25 Using McAfee Visual Trace, a very nice prog for showing up crap ISPs. I hope this is going to be sorted soon and that we don't have a repeat of the fiasco which took place earlier this year. No sign of Charles on the NG lately either.

Cheers Grumpy Ae

• Advertisement

Aepos wrote:
    No sign of Charles on the NG lately either.
    That figures. UTV support staff just bury their heads in the sand at the first sign of trouble. Charles will come up for air the day before the upgrade is due.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Ripwave

kin9pin wrote:
    That figures. UTV support staff just bury their heads in the sand at the first sign of trouble. Charles will come up for air the day before the upgrade is due.
    Maybe it escaped your attention that this is August - you know, the time of year when lots of people go on holidays?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Ripwave wrote:
    Maybe it escaped your attention that this is August - you know, the time of year when lots of people go on holidays?

Hurmph! The internet does not take a holliday. Neither should any provider when there is an upgrade in the pipeline.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Maybe it escaped your attention that UTV customers are paying UTV for a service. We don't actually give a sh*t if some of their staff are on holiday. The fact is that the problems have been persisting for the past 2 months (well, that's being generous to UTV... it's been utter sh*t since the start really) and if one of their main guys is on holiday, they should have someone taking over his duties for that time.

Originally Posted by Ripwave

does that mean all service should be slower etc just becuase people are on holidays,We pay for a service well actually no we dont because we arent getting a service

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I just did the utv speed test! (contradition in terms atm) 122 kbs!

Mike.

ps switch off the javascript and you'll get more speed here.

Ripwave wrote:

Yawn, you having a bad day Ripwave? Just sort of fancied winding people up?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

kin9pin wrote:

I dont really think that it is fair to personalise the criticism of Clicksilver. In fairness to Charles he is usually extremely good humoured and helpful and the problems with UTV are rarely down to UTV support staff who I think are by common consent generally more helpful than those of other ISP's. The problems with UTV such as pings and speed seem to be more on the infrastructure side if that is the right term.

However the most frustrating thing I think is the ongoing lack of communication with customers - if there was one thing that really stood out when I first joined up with UTV it was the open and regular communication with customers whether through the utv support group or through boards. That made them so different from any of the other ISP's but now communication is sporadic at best. There has been no major response to the ongoing pings issue other than a very significant post from Carl (which was oddly hidden away in a thread) which stated that UTV were considering changing their network providers but since then nothing. And this despite constant pleas from customers for an update.

Its a very strange turn around in policy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Ripwave

Originally Posted by Ripwave

does that mean all service should be slower etc just becuase people are on holidays,We pay for a service well actually no we dont because we arent getting a service
    No, it means that you should learn to read - I was responding to a post that referred to a specific individual in UTV, Charles. Whatever else is happening in UTV, any single individual is entitled to his or her holidays.

Ripwave wrote:
    No, it means that you should learn to read - I was responding to a post that referred to a specific individual in UTV, Charles. Whatever else is happening in UTV, any single individual is entitled to his or her holidays.

Of course Charles is entitled to holidays, but he is just one person. Surely UTV employ more then 1 person? The point I was making was that UTV only respond to customer queries/complaints when it suits them.
    The latest ping problem has been with us for over a month now......oh wait a minute....a month back is July....which is the start of holiday season. I see what you're saying. UTV support staff have the same contracts as teachers, they all get 9 weeks off in the summer!
    Thanks for pointing that out, I'll happily wait until the 2nd week of September now. I feel so stupid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 856 ✭✭✭andrew163

er..

Back on the original topic... I tried to post a message about this on the newsgroup a while ago but accidently hit the "email" button and sent the question to UTV. They replied to the email in a very nice tone saying that the bandwidth upgrade is in progress. They had that meeting (mentioned on the newsgroup) 2 Fridays ago about the issue, it apparently went well. On Thursday they tweaked the routers to accept the upgrade, now they're just waiting for it to be physically installed.

They haven't forgotten about this. Something is happening. Be patient

and also, I can see why people are getting frustrated with UTV, but personal attacks are just not necessary....or called for...

Thanks for the update but wouldnt it make much more sense for UTV to post that information to both the support newsgroup and boards. Paricularly when the ping thing has been going fon for so long What type of ISP is dependent on an accidental miskey to release information?

Ripwave wrote:
    Whatever else is happening in UTV, any single individual is entitled to his or her holidays.

No break for the married ones then! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Aepos

The newsgroup is getting interesting now. Lots of unhappy bunnies going mental over the rubbish service.

One guy rang tech support and asked about the bandwidth upgrade and the response was "I dont know anything about that". Nice one, really inspires great confidence in the company and its support.

Still looking on the bright side it'll be really hard to go over your cap with the way things are at present.

Ae

This is a joke of a service,anyone with some legal experience?Can you cancell our contract for not providing a service

• Advertisement
Advertisement