Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert Papers '05

Options
  • 02-08-2004 8:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 598 ✭✭✭

Can anybody tell me what the '05 english paper at Higher and Ordinary level is made up of?
    ie Play, novel etc
    Or where I can find out the info for myself?
    Cheers
    A

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

the exact same layout as LC 04, and 03, and even 02!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭claire h

DrummerBoy wrote:
    Can anybody tell me what the '05 english paper at Higher and Ordinary level is made up of?
    ie Play, novel etc
    Or where I can find out the info for myself?
    Cheers
    A

There's a set list of plays and novels that can be used - about five or six for the single text and then a whole bunch for the comparatives, and there's eight poets (I know T S Eliot is on, as are Emily Dickinson and Eavan Boland). Have you tried www.skoool.ie? They might have the list.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 598 ✭✭✭DrummerBoy

the exact same layout as LC 04, and 03, and even 02!

Sorry buddy last time I was in classroom was six years ago
    Just looking to go back and do the leaving this time!
    One year to learn practically everything from first to sixth year.
    How does that sound for fun!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭munkeehaven

dear god, have you ever heard of teachers??, you'll presumably be swarmed by them next year.they should give you adequate information.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,875 ✭✭✭Seraphina

DrummerBoy wrote:
    One year to learn practically everything from first to sixth year.

tbh its one year to learn everything from 5th-6th year. anything before that is irrelevant to the course. are you just doing english? prob a good idea to sign up for some grinds or something, but once you've read the books its really not that difficult. basic discussions of the themes and relationships within the play really. plus if you're doing it yourself you can pick what you want.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

DrummerBoy wrote:
    Sorry buddy last time I was in classroom was six years ago
    Ahg right, i thought you were some twat who was in 5th year, and was too lazy to look up their papers.

My best advice is to go grab the old papers from www.examinations.ie, they should have the last 4 years of papers at least, and solutions. (including this year).

Good luck in your endevours!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭munkeehaven

and frankly ,all the attention should be on us ,awaiting our results :p ,what with all this mental torture and sleepless nights.i don't think i'll ever be sane again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 598 ✭✭✭DrummerBoy

dear god, have you ever heard of teachers??, you'll presumably be swarmed by them next year.they should give you adequate information.
    I have no time to waste waiting for the start of the school year to get advice. I'm starting to study now. Friends of mine are teachers and are helping me get back into the habit of learning, studying etc. But just thought there might be some people here who would what novels, plays etc are on this years course.

Seraphina,
    Yeah I know it is really only 5th & 6th that apply however I no longer have a sound foundation of knowledge of the junior cycle to build on. That part should come back fairly quickly to me anyway.

It's not just english I'm doing. Irish, Maths, Physics, French, Building Construction, Technical Drawing and I'm thinking about taking up Business too. Provided I'm actually able to.

Mutant Fruit

No I'm just some twat who was in 5th year a long time ago ;-)
    Thanks for the link

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Drag00n79

Drummerboy, here is a link to the Department's site. This is the circular (in a word file) which was sent out to all schools regarding the 2005 Leaving Cert English course.
    http://www.education.ie/servlet/blobservlet/ppcm02_03.doc

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Suaimhneach

My best advice is to go grab the old papers from www.examinations.ie, they should have the last 4 years of papers at least, and solutions. (including this year).

I couldnt find the solutions, you sure they are on there?

Also, goodluck with sitting the leavin'!

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

Jesjes wrote:
    I couldnt find the solutions, you sure they are on there?

Also, goodluck with sitting the leavin'!
    The solutions are listed as Marking Schemes, you can access them here.

Also, for the english course, Drummerboy, if you are doing it in a school it would not be in your best interests to start studying the Texts now as you presumably have no idea which combination your school will choose.

There's something like 7770 different possible combinations for the Comparative course in 2005.

For poetry, I'd say Yeats will be up, that's where I'd put my money for 2005 if I was in a bind; a female poet always comes up but I've never really liked any of 'em.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Suaimhneach

CuLT wrote:
    The solutions are listed as Marking Schemes, you can access them here.

Thanks for getting that. But when you try to choose a subject, there is no options.

Then I direct you to www.education.ie , it's all definately listed there, as I downloaded them from there myself before.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Drag00n79

Solutions/marking schemes for the 2004 Leaving Cert exams are not online yet. They are still being used. The Department site has marking schemes and Chief Examiner reports from 2003 back.

Shamrok wrote:
    Solutions/marking schemes for the 2004 Leaving Cert exams are not online yet. They are still being used. The Department site has marking schemes and Chief Examiner reports from 2003 back.
    Heh, I thought she was looking for 2003 back, I would have thought it was fairly obvious the Marking Schemes for 2004 aren't out yet :) .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 761 ✭✭✭PrecariousNuts

CuLT wrote:
    For poetry, I'd say Yeats will be up, that's where I'd put my money for 2005 if I was in a bind; a female poet always comes up but I've never really liked any of 'em.

Dickinson 100%

Ah ya can never say taht. She was 100% this year too, and she didnt come up.

Don't risk it.

Besides, it's not that hard to learn five poets reasonably well, your gaurenteed two at LEAST then.

If you have a whole year, that's plenty of time like.

Heh, for some reason people didn't think Hopkins would come up either, which I thought was bizarre. Why put a poet on the course if you're not going to test on them?

But I'd stick Dickinson down if I wanted to cover a female poet too.

Advertisement