Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

wtf eircom.ie

Options
  • 02-08-2004 10:22pm
    Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I got a e-mail this morning from them saying my bill was ready, so I decided to take a look and haven't been able to access the site all day, can't even ping the site (hell it won't even resolve to a IP using my connection EsatBT)

Using dnsstuff.com I can resolve it to 159.134.21.66 but still no replys
    But yet I can access the site using 159.134.21.66??
    All other sites work fine, anyone have any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭robbie1876

It's working fine for me, I've just been looking at my bill. However, on the main page there was an unusual pop up message headed 'Javascrpt Application', with the body along the lines of 'Netscape provides features that mean your username and password for www.eircom.ie may be available for anyone who has access to this computer."

Which I thought was bizzare as I use Firefox, not Netscape. Never seen that message before, might have something to do with your problem (ie javascript)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

robbie1876 wrote:
    It's working fine for me, I've just been looking at my bill. However, on the main page there was an unusual pop up message headed 'Javascrpt Application', with the body along the lines of 'Netscape provides features that mean your username and password for www.eircom.ie may be available for anyone who has access to this computer."

Which I thought was bizzare as I use Firefox, not Netscape. Never seen that message before, might have something to do with your problem (ie javascript)

Yes it seems eircom seem to think that Mozilla is unsafe and not IE, they may want to switch the names around :D

Also for those not with Netscape/Mozilla/Firefox this is what you would see if you visit the eircom site.

eircom_javascript.jpg
    The funny thing regarding this pop-up is weather you press OK or Cancel it does nothing :)

Another strange thing about the site is I logged in to check my bill and it says I have not yet paid my last bill, yet it said I had last time I checked it (and I have)
    tis one fecked up site....

On a side note the problem I'm having is certainly not in anyway javascript related.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,865 ✭✭✭Syth

I think the reason they thing Mozilla products are Netscape is because of the user agent string, that bit of text that your browser sends to the webpage identifying your browser. Mozilla and Firefox say they are Mozilla, and so does Netscape. It always has. It's pretty dump for them to think that all mozilla is netscape and not actually mozilla. :) The odd thing is that Internet Explorer also identifies it's self as Mozilla, but somehting like Mozilla (MSIE), Tis from back when Netscape was the dominant browser (y'know before microsoft broke the law), so IE pretended to be Netscape (by calling itself mozilla), they just didn't bother changing.

It's also quite stupid of them to only design for IE, bad webauthoring.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Agreed it is the user-string

Same as you can modify Opera and Konquerer to be Mozilla or whatever, its very retarted of them to mainly target there site at IE users and any company that does such deservies to be boycotted imho...

Advertisement