Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Decline of Dublin Fox/Wheelybins

• 02-08-2004 11:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭

I have noticed a sharp decline in the number of foxes, Others I have seen look very under nurished. I tkink the wheelie bin has a lot to anser for in this decline. I Live in Marinio/clontart area. Anyone in urban Dublin or any big towns notice any thing ?[

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 320 ✭✭eoinín

Hey Mark,
    in the last year I've seen more foxes than in any previous year I can remember. I live near dundrum and have seen about 6 foxes (possibly the same fox) at around 11-12 at night, as well as 3 or 4 in broad daylight! I've also seen one in Stephens Green and one in UCD during daylight hours. All have been quite thin. This would lead me to believe that foxes are becoming much more desperate for food and are prepared to take many more risks that they traditionally would have taken. I had also come to the conclusion that bins are now much more difficult to get into, so a major food source for foxes is gone. Also we are at the stage where nearly every small piece of land in the urban area is being developed as a house / office , etc, a fact which is surely diminshing the fox habitat in the city...
    Eoin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Flukey

There is a lot of green areas near Dundrum, so you would get them around there. Some of the new roads have cut into their territory though. Down around UCD is another place you'll see them. I saw one near Ballsbridge along the banks of the Dodder, very close to the water, earlier this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Flukey

By one of those strange co-incidences as I came home on a bus last night I spotted 2 foxes, in different locations. One I saw on the site where they are building new apartments on the Goatstown Road. Then I saw another one up at the corner coming up past The Goat where the new junction of the Drummartin Link Road has been built.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭PH01

The introduction of wheelie bins corelate with the reduction in the number of rats. Not sure if that is the same for foxes?

Advertisement