Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

star wars IN star trek? and vice versa

• 03-08-2004 1:15am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,698 ✭✭✭✭

little thing for the trivia nuts (or those with alot of time on their hands and an excuse to watch all the star treks again)

was watching the second last epsiode of season 6 of dsp tonight, its the episode with the space captain marooned on a planet and is slowly dieing while the defiant races to her rescue they each take turns talking to her.

When she talks to sisko to the first time she starts to tell him a story about a civilian she dated and she says they met on endor.

not sure if i heard it correctly but i rewound a few times to check and it sounds like endor to me.

in star wars endor was the planet which the moon the ewoks lived on orbited (4th moon i think) so i had a very sad giggle at that line (was her boyfriend a ewok?)

So my question to you is...

How many nudges and winks to star wars is there in star trek...and vice versa?

apart from the obvious scientific basis (warp drive hyperdrive etc) I mean the use of names or technology which is blatant star trek/wars.

these are the two most popular science fiction franchises so i'm assuming there must have been some little winks like the above?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

The Breen helmet is the same one the bounty hunters wore in star wars

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭Hecate

Well I guess it isn't a great example since it was an indirect influence, but Star Wars was primarily responsible for ST: The Motion Picture being as overblown and effects-driven as it was, and for killing off the ill-fated 'Star Trek II' TV series concept just as it was getting off the ground.

They had a script for a pilot, concept art, a cast and a large fan base that was ready to watch it but then Star Wars came out and Paramount decided 'oh, we'll have some of that!' so the pilot script - 'In Thy Image' I think it was called - was adapted for a feature film instead. But TMP turned out all right in the end, it grossed around $140 million worldwide which is the highest of *any* of the trek films (actually the voyage home might be more, not too sure though). The new directors cut released a few years ago gave me a much better impression of how good it was.

So in a roundabout way Star Wars was responsible for postponing a new Trek series for 7 years and launching the Trek movie franchise - although judging on the last few installments its arguable as to whether this was a positive contribution...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

Its for the best that phase 2 wasnt made did you see the state of the main ship ? christ it was horrible.Also of the past 4 films only 1 has been "bad" and thats star trek 9 its not even a bad film (imo)its just slower paced than first contact people might of expected Fc 2 instead and been a bit disapointed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

i know its off topic but wasnt there an episode of Babylon 5 where one of the characters was not in the episode. there was the following dialog

"where is (character name)
    oh hes on assignment to DS 9

turns out the person in particular had a guest part in DS9 around that time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

Maybe she said 'Andor' ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,592 ✭✭✭Ro: maaan!

Wow! I don't think I've seen this episode. How did that happen?!

Cool... Can't wait to watch it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭User45701

i remember thining i heard endor myself but andor would make allot of sence

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭Stabshauptmann

Battle Star Galactica the movie makes so many references to star wars its not funny.

The design of cloths,weapons and some crafts, those guys who only breed every 7 years, at the time i noticed many things, but that was a long time ago...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

BlitzKrieg wrote:
    When she talks to sisko to the first time she starts to tell him a story about a civilian she dated and she says they met on endor.

not sure if i heard it correctly but i rewound a few times to check and it sounds like endor to me.

in star wars endor was the planet which the moon the ewoks lived on orbited (4th moon i think) so i had a very sad giggle at that line (was her boyfriend a ewok?)
    Endor's the name used by some of the Elves for Middle Earth if you're a Tolkien fan (I can't remember whether it's a Sindarin word or a Quenyan one). Presumably there's a biblical reference originally there somewhere - Saul consults the Witch of Endor somewhere in the old testament. In other words, assuming she said "Endor", there's a chance that there's a common origin rather than ST just robbing a name from SW.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭AngelofFire

Tractor Beam and Cloaking device(Empire strikes back) are common between the two sagas.

• Advertisement
Advertisement