Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My call

Options
  • 03-08-2004 1:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 20,835 ✭✭✭✭

What do you guys think of when I said I saw the card dealt to the guy to my right? I did it out of fairness and honesty. I would have had the advantage. I said it the minute I saw it and I didn't see my cards. It would have been a crazy hand and could have changed the game around a bit. AA QQ and AK were dealt. I felt kinda bad but felt it was the right thing to do.

I'm still peed off I peed off to pee and missed my bullets.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

Personally I feel it is right and proper to speak up if you see a card. You did the right thing. I would and have done the same thing. I have a real issue with cheating, seeing someones card and not mentioning it is like cheating IMO.

I do not understand the last line of your post.

MrP

• Registered Users Posts: 2,886 ✭✭✭Marq

Cormie, you were dead right to announce it. What happened next was really unfortunate. I said "you'll have to give it back" and someone threw over their cards in disgust (not just one person, but three). thing was, i only wanted the exposed card, as any card that is exposed on the second round of dealing can be replaced by either the third card from the bottom or the first burn card. I was deliberating in my head over what to do, as I was considering taking off the flop, turn and river, and the burn cards, and then reshuffling the whole deck with the exposed card in it. Dealing one card to the player and then putting the flop turn and river back on top to deal em out. Unfortunately, people are very eager to throw in their cards. It's the dealers fault if a card is exposed, but as with many situations I've encountered, unpatient players compound the problem. I felt very sorry for brendan, who had the pair of ones and would have been almost guaranteed a near triple through, what with the queens and AK in play. That's poker though.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,517 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

It was a good honest call. I'm glad it happened (being the recipient of the AK :p) but fair dues to you for calling it..

About those bullets during your toilet trip (?), maybe you shouldn't drink as much water.. :cool:

Congrats on the money btw..

Marq wrote:
    I was deliberating in my head over what to do, as I was considering taking off the flop, turn and river, and the burn cards, and then reshuffling the whole deck with the exposed card in it. Dealing one card to the player and then putting the flop turn and river back on top to deal em out.

No offense meant, but I don't think that is your call to make. If there is any confusion or potential for agro you should call for a ruling. I am not calling into question your ability or knowledge, but issues like that should be dealt with by the tournie director. Exposed cards are easy, there is a set procedure. But if you are thinking about lifting cards off the table and reshuffling them you need to seek a ruling. I think.

MrP

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭careca

Who won the event ? Well organised again lads. Good turnout. I got about 5 good hands all night and each time amp had five better hands. :mad: Demoralised, I reraised all in with A10 (bad play but I just didn't give a **** at that stage) and walked into pocket rockets.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭kipple

There was a deal made between the final four. I was chip leader and got 700.

T.

Nice one Kipple. Who were the other three ??

I came second (made it to the final table two months running!)..
    Cormie shared 3rd with someone else..

BTW Kipple, how many chips did you finish up with? Oh, and congrats on the win, it was tough going towards the end..

Well done K_C. Glad for Cormie, his €8 bank balance has been adjusted so !!!
    Just rewards for not selling his Fitz €270 ticket.

MrP, you're dead right. I most likely would have called for a ruling in that situation, but there was no opportunity to even get that far as people had tossed or exposed their hands before there was a chance.

• Advertisement
  • Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

If people tossed their hands over:
    a. They dont know poker or are quite dumb.
    b. They caused the problem, not the exposed card or Cormie.

Two nights ago at the final table of the 20-in I saw one of Vivians cards and mucked my hand (K10, UTG) and told them. They all seemed to think it was ok for me to say nothing and continue on.... personally I consider it cheating to continue to play the hand if you have glanced at your opponents cards but I understand that others dont. That time was a bit harsh as it was just the way Viv was holding his cards that showed them to me. Personally, I'll always call it.

DeV.

I think I had over 50K in Chips at the end.

The play between the last 4 was very good and I didnt see very many mistakes been made. The chip leader changed a couple of times. Overall it was very enjoyable, well done to the organisers.

I was getting very tired and so was the first one to call for a deal.

T.

Devore: They all seemed to think it was ok for me to say nothing and continue on.... personally I consider it cheating to continue to play the hand if you have glanced at your opponents cards

I was on the wrong side of a similar situation recently.. In this instance I played on, but regretted it immediately afterwards.. I got caught up in the heat of the moment and played on... Was it wrong? Absolutely. Was it cheating? Yes... Would I be as honest as Cormie and yourself if it happened again? I'd certainly like to think so..

• Registered Users Posts: 8,806 ✭✭✭Lafortezza

cormie wrote:
    What do you guys think of when I said I saw the card dealt to the guy to my right?
    Was it the dealers fault that the card flipped up? If so then it should have been replaced by the 3rd card from the bottom and fair play to you for being honest and announcing it.

But if it was the players own fault that you saw by not protecting his hand then thats tough. You're under no obligation to say you saw one of his cards. You could tell him after the hand to guard his cards more carefully but its his own fault really.

Cormie caught a glance of the card as it was being dealt. Card was not exposed to everyone at the table, just Cormie. Dealer's fault.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭Iago

I was the other player, wanted to play on but had to be up at 5.45 for work so thought it best to accept and negoitiate a deal...

it was a good night and the play got progessively tighter at the final table, probably would have went on for another couple of hours if we hadn't stopped when we did.

Cormie made the right call, particularily considering that it was like playing in a mate's house rather than a fitz free for all

• Registered Users Posts: 2,220 ✭✭✭Davey Devil

I'd also like to add my thanks for last night's tourney, well done to all involved in the organisation. Eh don't mean to be a minger but someone owes me €20 for my Aces full of Jacks, do you remember that hand Tom ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,835 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Yeah, thanks for the game guys. Probably one of the best nights of poker that wasn't a home game. The last 4. I would have loved to have played on. Two more would have had to be knocked out for me to get more than what we dealed on, and with me being 2nd lowest in chips and the blinds getting quite high and to a dominatory stage, with the bonus of being up at 7 the next morning (7.44 I woke up sh!tttt) haha, I thought a deal would be ok.

Krusty, I lifted my head in angst and sighed a quiet angry "fu*k" about 5 times today thinking about your K5 bluff on me. Nice. I folded that way too quickly. I didn't even look at you, I didn't do anything to try and give me a read on you, I just folded. Stupid! If I had called that, which I probably would have if I waited a few more seconds for thoughts, I would have been in a much better position. So peed off with myself for folding. Well done to Iago, yourself and Kipple though.

I figured an all-in call would put you off your hand.
    I was getting tired of your 10k thievery ;), so I figured I'd put you to the test, and see if you'd risk all your chips for your middling hand.

Yeah, you would have been in a very strong position if you'd called.
    Should'a, would'a, could'a. :D

Thievery? When? That's really going to haunt me for a while. The more I think about it, the more I should have called. You got me though. Good one.

• Advertisement

The last 4. I would have loved to have played on.
    I could tell that you wanted to keep playing but I was tired and happy to go home to bed and it could have gone on for another hour. I did enjoy the play on the last table a lot.

Krusty, I lifted my head in angst and sighed a quiet angry "fu*k" about 5 times today thinking about your K5 bluff on me.
    It was a nice move. I was surprised you folded as IIRC the pot was large before the all in.

T.

What was Krusty holding when he bluffed you off the pot?

K5s, with no matches on the flop.
    Cormie had just raised 10k post-flop.

So, go-on, what'd you have? :eek:

All I was thinking at the time was if I call I could get knocked out and only get €200. Pot size didn't really matter to me as I had enough left to keep playing.

Unfortunately my initial thoughts made my decision but if I had thought about it more I probably would have made a lovely call. I was ahead, but not by much.

just out of curiousity, who gave me a bad reputation point for this post and why?

All I can say is it was not me. Off the top of my head though I could give you maby 12 suspects :D

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

It should tell you in your UserCp.

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,220 ✭✭✭Davey Devil

You must have a super User CP DeV. Us mere mortals can only see what thread the possitve or negitive points came from and a comment if they choose to leave one. Don't think you can find out who did it unless they leave their name name in the comment.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,586 ✭✭✭gerire

Whats this reputation points stuff anyway, and who pays attention to it or who cares about it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭kencleary

gerire wrote:
    Whats this reputation points stuff anyway, and who pays attention to it or who cares about it?

Well you're getting -1 reputation point for that post anyway :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement