Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Coke Is Evil

• 03-08-2004 2:20am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭

Who here think coca-cola is evil raise your hands and make a post if u can type with one hand

Comments

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

i think most people on board's are able to type with one hand!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

It's often a necessity. Downloading pr0n, holding a drink/ciggy, fighting off Nazis...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭Tivoli

i used to type with 1 finger :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭blobert

All big businesses are a wee bit evil.

I must admit I find it quite interesting rather than morally outrageous to hear their stories of evil.

I quite like coke. Even if it is made out of babies or something terrible like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,698 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

now here's a bigger question who do you feel is the most evil of the big corporations...

is it coke? Who kill off union leaders (columbia)

is it Mcdonalds? Who trick and decieve (according to americans and nanny parents) our young into being fat.

Or is it Microsoft? Who rip us off...

I got a feeling its gonna be microsoft but lets find out...

me...its McDonalds because i hate their food yet they are super rich and that makes me really :(

please add other huge corporations that you feel are the most evil and justify them please...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭Zhane

Disney. Evil. Pure Evil

Zhane wrote:
    Disney. Evil. Pure Evil
    Not many people have what we call the Evil gene. Hitler had it, Walt Disney had it, and Freddy Quimby has it...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭AngelofFire

Coke hire Columbian paramilitaries to assasinate columbian coca cola workers who become involved in trade unions.

oops forgot about disney...yes the mouse is evil...fear the mouse.

why are disney seen as evil and warner brothers are not??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭Bacchus

Nestle: I'v always heard that Nestle were evil and "educated" 3rd world mothers into using their milk formula instead of breat feeding (quick search on the web found the article below). They have their grubby little hands in so many products too...
    Nestle owned products include L'Oreal, Cross and Blackwell, Branston, Ski, Munch Bunch, Buitoni, Vittel, Perrier, Herta, Purina, Allenís, Maggi, Peter's, Milo, Carnation, Caterer's Blend, GoDog, Lean Cuisine, Sunshine, Rowantrees ,Breath Fresh, Macintosh, Quik Eze, Scanlens, Nesquik, Vitari, Nescafe, GoPet, International Roast, Medallion, Papa Guiseppi's, Chapstick, Dermoplast, Mighty Dog, and chocolate bars.
    From http://www.endevil.com/blacklist.html:
    Nestle have been repeatedly criticised and widely boycotted in a number of countries because of their violation of international codes on the marketing of baby milk products. Nestlé holds about 50% of the world's breast milk substitute market and is being boycotted for continued breaches of the 1981 WHO (World Health Organisation) Code regulating the marketing of breast milk substitutes.

Nestlé encourages bottle feeding primarily by either giving away free samples of baby milk to hospitals, or neglecting to collect payments. It has been criticised for misinforming mothers and health workers in promotional literature. Nestlé implies that malnourished mothers, and mothers of twins and premature babies are unable to breastfeed, despite health organisations claims that there is no evidence to support this.

Evidence of direct advertising to mothers has been found in over twenty countries such as South Africa and Thailand. Instructions and health warnings on packaging are often either absent, not prominently displayed or in an inappropriate language. All of these actions directly contravene the Code regulating the marketing of baby milk formulas.

Even in the UK, bottle-fed babies are up to ten times more likely to develop gastro intestinal infections, but in the Third World, where clean water may be absent, mothers may be illiterate and independent health care and advice may be lacking, bottle feeding can be more dangerous. This can lead to a situation where babies are left vulnerable to dysentery, malnutrition and death, and Nestle is able to retain its estimated $4 billion market share in the baby-milk industry.

Over 3000 infants die every day from baby bottle disease (WHO), and formula dependant babies create massive economic strain on poor families, contributing to unsustainable land use.

Nestle were recently criticised by Oxfam for pursuing the Ethiopian Government for US $6 million as the country attempts to tackle a famine affecting 11 million people.This payment was so large because they demanded it in US dollars not local currency at the current rate of exchange not that of 1975 .Nestlé did not even own the company when the factory was nationalised. Nestlé has finally accepted US $1.51 million offered by the government on 23/1/3 following the campaign run by Oxfam which created a public relations nightmare.

The workers in a Nestlé chocolate plant in Cacapava, Brazil went on strike in 1989, compaining of poor working conditions, including discrimination against women, lack of protective clothing and inadequate safety conditions. Within two months of the beginning of the stike the company had sacked forty of its workers, including most of the strike organisers.

Nestlé has subsidiaries in some of the most repressive regimes in the world , including Brazil, China, Colombia, Egypt, El Salvador, Guatemala, India, Indonesia, Kenya, Lebanon, Mexico, Papua New Guinea, the Philippines, Senegal, Sri Lanka and Turkey. The company also has subsidaries in South Africa which it owned during the Apartheid year. L'Oréal (parent company - Nestle) have subsidiaries in Peru and Morocco.

yet they still make crap choclate...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭SantaHoe

Ugh, Nestle has such an evil empire... :(
    I never buy any of their subsidiary companies products so I've nothing to boycott.

Bill Gates sickens me though, all that money he could never spend even if he lived for a few hundred years, sure, he gives to charity, but it's a comparitive pittance... nothing more than guilt money.
    With that amount of money, couldn't you at least pick some poor-ass family and take them to Disney land before they all die because they can't afford health insurance.

Dish the dirt on Coke there, I already don't like them for shipping a drink which essentially contains an addictive drug - (ie. caffene) then telling people they drink it for the taste.
    I used to go though 3 or 4 cans a day in work, I used to get cravings for coke... now that I haven't drank it in years - I wonder why I ever liked it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭Ste-

Sarky wrote:
    Not many people have what we call the Evil gene. Hitler had it, Walt Disney had it, and Freddy Quimby has it...

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=175787
    Good lad Sarky made me giggle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/0006530400/qid=1091518096/ref=sr_8_xs_ap_i1_xgl/026-0994113-8632458

Worth reading. Lots of evil companies. For example I was surprised to see that starbucks would buy out the leases of existing coffee shops without their knowledge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

BlitzKrieg wrote:
    Or is it Microsoft? Who rip us off...

you can't get much cheaper than free.... :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭whosurpaddy

Coke hire Columbian paramilitaries to assasinate columbian coca cola workers who become involved in trade unions.

if your gonna make claims like that you got supply a linky

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭Gurgle

OMG, NO

Is someone here trying to insinuate that big corporations are in it for the money rather than the good of humanity ?

Lets boycott all the evil corporate empires who are trying to make a profit off us poor citizens.

Now, breakfast...
    Whats can I find to eat in my garden; privet, lavender, heather, grass, frogs, dog, roses...

See, we don't need mass production, we can live off the good old honest earth. :rolleyes:

if your gonna make claims like that you got supply a linky
    http://www.colombiasolidarity.org.uk/Solidarity%203/cocacola.html
    Is someone here trying to insinuate that big corporations are in it for the money rather than the good of humanity ?

Lets boycott all the evil corporate empires who are trying to make a profit off us poor citizens.

Just because you want to make a profit doesn't mean you should be given free reign to ignore morality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭whosurpaddy

• Advertisement

Hobbes wrote:
    Just because you want to make a profit doesn't mean you should be given free reign to ignore morality.

Well thats kinda my understanding of capitalists. Laws restrict them but morality is not a problem.
    (Incidentally, I never said it should be that way.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭iMax

Jeez.... Boo hoo hoo, the big corporations come in here & sell us their stuff & we buy their stuff & then we give out about their stuff...

Grow up fellas, it's up to you wether or not you buy it (personally I'm more of a pepsi chap), either get with the program or move to a communist state where your finances will be shared & you won't be allowed have any of that capitilist stuff.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

I like McDonalds, and i'm adicted to Coke, shame on me

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,164 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Charlie's father talking about the Pentaburate: "The queen. The vatican. The Getty's. The Rothschilds. AND Colonel Sanders before he went heads up! Oh, I hated the Colonel with his wee BEADY eyes! and that smug look on his face, 'Oh! You're gonna buy my chicken, OHHH!"
    Charlie: "Dad, how can you hate...the Colonel?"
    Charlie's Father: "Because he puts an addictive chemical in his chicken that makes you crave it fortnightly, smart ass!"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Like santahoe said - coke is ****ing addictive. I used to drink 2-3 500ml bottles a day. I've been off it for about 2 months now (on advice from my dentist, it has properly ****ed up my teeth), still get the odd craving for it :(

Who does Lucozade? I think I may have a slight problem...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭colm_c

See this a few weeks back in the states:

http://www.thecorporation.com/

Excellent movie, basically large corporations are the devil...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭RossFixxxed

Which they were cleared of in court. RTFM. I'm sick of ill founded selective calls on these things. Stop pushing your agenda despite facts, base it on them instead.

This is the "I don't care if they lied I just want <insert agenda here>" attitude.

Ross

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,986 ✭✭✭Big Ears

I prefer Pepsi , that sweet sweet Pepsi :D .

• Advertisement

Which they were cleared of in court. RTFM. I'm sick of ill founded selective calls on these things. Stop pushing your agenda despite facts, base it on them instead.

Do you have a link?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,813 ✭✭✭Calibos

3 or 4 cans or 500ml bottles! Thats pathetic. :D I drink about 3 cans in work and about 2 or 3 pints at home....every day! It is evil addictive stuff. I just get moody if I try and drink water. I'd love to give the stuff up but anymore than a day and I start to get 'really' moody and get a thumping headache too.
    One day I will give it up, and the cigarettes, and go to the gym and get a sixpack , and.........but not yet....not yet, need my coke....mmmmm coke :D:D

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Ah cool refreshing Coca Cola. Going to go buy some in a minute.

Now the Columbian actions of one particular Coca Cola plant shouldn't be immediately used to screamm out that Coca Cola is actually Satan's outpost on earth. Not withstanding the fact that so far these are just claims, unproven in court, it still reflects the actions of a few in a rather large company. Is it so shocking to think a few bad apples might crop up in these corporations?

As to slagging off Microsoft - how tiresome. Mouthing off about Bill Gates is particularly boring, given that he's already given away hundreds of millions and has pledged to give away nearly his entire fortune to his various causes. He may have lots of money but he is actually looking to do something useful with it. Purely because this billionaire has a face do people like to have a go at him. Why not attack the frugal owner of IKEA or Walmart? Or is the nerd just an easier target?

If you want a proper evil company, look at the likes of Philip Morris Rothman. Now there's a company with a greater claim to human suffering.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

If you want a proper evil company, look at the likes of Philip Morris.

Yes, those damned Dairylea ads are annoying..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭HerrLipp

Coke is evil. And addictive. Diet Coke is also evil and addictive. They deliberately choose the addictive sweetener out of the sweeteners available to them. Then they remarket Diet Sprite as Sprite Zero (zero carbs, giving the impression that they use Splenda the Atkins sweetener when in fact they're still using the old sweetener).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,047 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Calibos wrote:
    3 or 4 cans or 500ml bottles! Thats pathetic. :D I drink about 3 cans in work and about 2 or 3 pints at home....every day! It is evil addictive stuff. I just get moody if I try and drink water. I'd love to give the stuff up but anymore than a day and I start to get 'really' moody and get a thumping headache too.
    One day I will give it up, and the cigarettes, and go to the gym and get a sixpack , and.........but not yet....not yet, need my coke....mmmmm coke :D:D
    You should give it up, you wouldn't believe how much better you feel without it (once those horrible withdrawl symptoms have passed). And once the cravings have stopped you realise how icky it actually is.

Make a note to drink less and less every day or something. Maybe start diluting it, or having "orange juice spritzers" or something.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,813 ✭✭✭Calibos

Stark wrote:
    You should give it up, you wouldn't believe how much better you feel without it (once those horrible withdrawl symptoms have passed). And once the cravings have stopped you realise how icky it actually is.

Make a note to drink less and less every day or something. Maybe start diluting it, or having "orange juice spritzers" or something.

Just like the cigarettes, I've tried but failed. One day I will succeed though. Maybe my next dentist bill will put the fear of God into me :D You're right about the juices. No point in substituting another fizzy drink as they are all full of caffeine. Maybe half my problem is that water is just so boring and that I am missing a sweet taste as much as I am missing the caffeine.

I also recently discovered that you should give up caffeine drinks at the same time as cigarettes. Rather than doubling your withdrawls you lessen them as apparently the caffeine and nicotene react with each other/cancel each other out to some extent. ie if you give up cigs but not caffeine, the effect of the caffeine is greater ie you are more wired because the nicotene isn't balancing it out/having a depressive effect on the system. So half your craving is for the nicotene and half is just to calm you from your more exagerated caffeine 'high'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭LoneGunM@n

Memo to self ... always read boards before shopping for snacks ... I didn't enjoy the second half of the bottle of Coke and Lion bar that I just had ... /meh

My experience anyway is that the addictive power of caffeine is nowhere near the addictive power of sugar.

I'm never quite sure if I'm addicted to caffene or not. If I miss my coffee in the morning, I do eventually come around to full consciousness without it.
    Takes an extra hour though.
    On the capitalist point though, If I came up with an idea/patent/receipe for some luxory item I would sure as hell exploit it. Its not as though anyone is hooking on the streets to finance their coke addiction (thats caffeine coke rather than the other kind)(duh!).

Stark wrote:

Yea. I am 5 months stopped now drinking sodas. Just drink water now. Amazing but all fast food joints let you pick water/milk over a fizzy drink.

I still get the craving occasionally but I have fizzy water to stop the craving (its more the bubbles then the taste).

Prior to stopping I was drinking 3-5 500ml bottles a day. It is too easy to drink. I had horrible withdrawal symptoms for the first month or so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Someone mentioned dentist bills... I've spent €400 so far this summer and am going back to her this evening :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭AngelofFire

Which they were cleared of in court. RTFM. I'm sick of ill founded selective calls on these things. Stop pushing your agenda despite facts, base it on them instead

Coca Cola have subsequentley increased their repression of trade union sinataral, and have not made reparations to the families of victims.

http://www.lasc.ie/activities/campaigns/lasc-campaigns/cocacola-sued.html.

Boycotting works.The mass boycott of south african goods in the late 80s and early 90s helped to bring down apartheid

Stephen wrote:
    Someone mentioned dentist bills... I've spent €400 so far this summer and am going back to her this evening :(
    Yeah my dentist bills were enough to make me stop drinking coke completely.
    I'm sure we've all seen the 'leave the penny soaking in coke' trick.
    €400 eh? Just make sure you get your moneys worth of novacain off her, that's good shit :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭DerekD Goldfish

Who does Lucozade? I think I may have a slight problem...
    Lucozade is made by GlazcoSmithKline one of the largest drug manufatures in the world and i also have a bit of a problem.

I also noticed cravings for Lucozade sport, which is why I don't buy it anymore.

Yeah I used to get cravings for both those. I don't even find lucozade sport helps me in exercise anyway, causes me stomach upset.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

BlitzKrieg wrote:
    why are disney seen as evil and warner brothers are not??
    Because disney films contain sexual innuendo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭tba

Gurgle wrote:
    I'm never quite sure if I'm addicted to caffene or not. If I miss my coffee in the morning, I do eventually come around to full consciousness without it.
    Takes an extra hour though.

Yeah but caffine requires alot of water to break down, (like alcohol), which dehydrates you and could lead to low blood pressure, increased heart rate, poorer skin elasticity, less efficient blood flow and in severe cases complete system shock and/or coma.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,093 ✭✭✭woosaysdan

Stark wrote:
    Yeah I used to get cravings for both those. I don't even find lucozade sport helps me in exercise anyway, causes me stomach upset.
    same as me but then i dont exercise as much

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭LemmingBoy

I think one of the develish companys out ther is Nike with them paying poor 5 yr old asen kids 1 eu a week to make those shoes all u sick b*******s are wearingh right now YoU KNOW WHO YOU ARE!!!!!!!!!!! :mad:

• Advertisement
Advertisement