Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Journalism

• 03-08-2004 4:54am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 276 ✭✭

Hello,
    I am hoping to get into the journalism course at colaiste dhulaigh. I have an interview sometime this month. Any tips or advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

hey,
    hope I'm not too late...:D

I'm about to start my second year of journalism in CD, so heres a few tips.
    If you dont already read the newspaper regularly, start ASAP, and pick up a few journalists names. I got stung in my interview with that, and it didnt do me any favours. (i actually didnt get my place first time, cos I applied too late and got second round instead, if there were any places left by then, I'm sure that ruined my hopes of getting one).
    Try your best to have something published, they will love that. If not, just have a small range of stuff, as well written as you can. Obviously spelling mistakes etc will not look good.
    My B in Hons English and History seemed to impress them, so anything around that should help you.
    Basically, show a general interest in journalism. Say you want to get into something specific, ie sports journalism, radio, page layout. And show that you have made attempts to do so on your own.
    I told them I had tried to get w/exp in some papers, which was true.
    Also, know as much about the course as you can, look at the booklet and find out the different classes (sub editing, print journalism, creative writing etc), if asked what you know about the course, just reem them off, maybe saying I'd be interested in X, Y, Z.

Basically, if you show interest, have any sign of writing skills, and show some kind of willing, they will like you. The people who did my interview were quite friendly, and I'm sure they will be the same with you.

Best of luck,
    flogen

Advertisement