Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The best Genre

Options
  • 03-08-2004 5:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭

Hello I was wondering how many different genre there are to classify metal i.e. Nu metal, Heavy metal e.t.c. In the poll are just the one’s that I could think of, so I hope I didn’t offend anyone by leaving out their favourite genre. In other metal forums Most (well a lot) people claim that they hate Nu metal, it just seem that anyone who claims to be serious about metal doesn’t like Nu metal. (I like it although I’ve only really got into metal about 3 years ago) Ill let the poll answer that one.

The Best Genre 45 votes

Heavy Metal
    0% 0 votes
    Nu Metal
    37% 17 votes
    Trash Metal
    11% 5 votes
    Death Metal
    13% 6 votes
    Black Metal
    20% 9 votes
    Metal Core
    17% 8 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

Some Nu Metal is good enough, the problem is the good bands are few and far between. As for how many classifications for metal there are, theres dozens, probably over half a dozen for death metal alone really. And you missed out Power Metal completely, tut tut. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭jessy

whats power Metal? :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭LightofDarkness

You mis-spelled "thrash" too. And leaving out power metal is an offense. Seriously though, most metal fans don't even consider nu-metal as metal. We came up with a different name for nu-metal and metal-core and trendy bands: MALLCORE. The mall (in America) is where all the "cool" sk8r kids hang around outside that gimpish nu-metal and metalcore clothes shop known as "Hot-Topic." With their Slapnuts hoodies and Kr0n t-shirts. Mallcore may also be known as a newly coined term, TRENDCORE. We use core because it's not metal.

Power Metal sees the adding of heavy metal to melodic metal, sometimes with some thrashiness to boot. Power Metal groups include Blind Guardian, Lost Horizon (the best, IMO), Dragonforce and Elvenking. there can be folk elements, the Iron Maiden influence is often huge, yet PM groups are always heavier than Maiden. A more "thrashy" power metal group is Persuader. They're quite excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭Creature

I'll vote for....whatever Tool would be classified as.

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

That would be prog rock.

I'll have to say Melodic Death Metal (Sentenced, In Flames, COB etc.). It is the genre that I would listen to the most.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 282 ✭✭Atmosphere

I listen to nu metal the most,e.g Linkin Park....

I wouldnt really call Sentenced melodic death, possably with their old singer aye, but the new singer, nah not really. As for CoB, dunno what they are really, some form of Power death metal, or something. But Id be going for Melodic Death myself, In Flames and Fark Tranquility simply cannot be beat with a big stick.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

what's metal core?

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭LightofDarkness

Metal-core consists of the homosexuality of Killswitch Engage, Shadows Fall, Lamb of God, Chimaira, Atreyu, Avenged Sevenfold, God Forbid and more. It makes baby jesus cry. Therefore it's bad.

Children of Bodom are just, well, metal. Influences include melodic, heavy, thrash, death, black and (for the first two albums) neo-classical. But power or anyhting to do with power int heir description, as Alexi says, is untrue. What we mistake as power is the melodic part, apparently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭princess penny

Atmosphere wrote:
    I listen to nu metal the most,e.g Linkin Park....

So you do exist? :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 282 ✭✭Atmosphere

So you do exist? :rolleyes:

yes.............hiding in the undergrowth /sarcasm

• Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

You mis-spelled "thrash" too. And leaving out power metal is an offense. Seriously though, most metal fans don't even consider nu-metal as metal. We came up with a different name for nu-metal and metal-core and trendy bands: MALLCORE. The mall (in America) is where all the "cool" sk8r kids hang around outside that gimpish nu-metal and metalcore clothes shop known as "Hot-Topic." With their Slapnuts hoodies and Kr0n t-shirts. Mallcore may also be known as a newly coined term, TRENDCORE. We use core because it's not metal.

how old are you?

I know what you mean and agree with a lot of what you said but the way you wrote that paragraph just makes me hate you! "we came up with a different name for nu-metal and metal core...." have you any idea how annoying and nerdy this sounds!? "we" ?!?
    "with their slapnuts hoodies and Kr0n t-shirts"
    Ahhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!

Hope this doesnt bother you too much but the way you're talking reminds me of every nu-metaler person I know!

Just by chance were you being ironic in that post?

Hope this doesnt bother you too much but the way you're talking reminds me of every nu-metaler person I know!
    Couldnt have said it better without swear words :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

I'll listen to just about anything with a guitar solo in it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Tommy Vercetti

Black metal, because I'm a man, dark, pure and evilllllll.

ps numetal is gay

Advertisement