Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Money Transfer

Options
  • 03-08-2004 9:38am
    Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 1,863 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Anybody have any experience transferring money ?

I'll be going to Australia next month and I have an Australian bank account setup, I will be transferring money from an aib account across and I was wondering the cheapest method.

I have no experience with this so any help would be appreciated,

thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,371 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Slaanesh wrote:
    I'll be going to Australia next month and I have an Australian bank account setup, I will be transferring money from an aib account across and I was wondering the cheapest method.
    Probably the best thing to do would be to arrange a wire transfer. Phone around your local banks and say "I want to transfer X thousand euros to my account in Australia. How many dollars will you give me?". Be wary there is the foreign exchange fee and the wire fee, so don't ask for rates, ask for the actual amount that will show up in your account.

Separately a few hundred dollars cash for the first few days and an emergency credit card would be handy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭drane2

I'd probably go for AUS$ bank drafts. Probably the cheapest way.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,371 ✭✭✭✭Victor

drane2 wrote:
    I'd probably go for AUS$ bank drafts. Probably the cheapest way.
    Drafts have really bad name at the moment because of forgeries and theft. Also when moving from one country to another, you don't need one big lump sum, you need something more balanced.

Advertisement