Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

window tinting - how much?

Options
  • 03-08-2004 10:18am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭

ok have a friend who wants 4 side windows and the back window of his corolla replaced with tinted glass... anybody know how much this costs?

also, would it be better to buy rolls of tinting film, and would you be able to find someone to professionally put in the tinting film?

I was telling him that most tinting film jobs i saw were crappy cos of air bubbles and such

cheers...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

I dont know how much it will cost financially, but it will cost a lot of patience, what with being pulled by the Gardaí non-stop, especially if your car is even ever so slightly tarted up! :mad:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

daggeredge wrote:
    also, would it be better to buy rolls of tinting film
    Christ no. It's extremely difficult to get right. Get a pro to do it.

adam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Mercury_Tilt

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭Farls

If he's willing to travel then i reckon the north is the best place to get it done...professionals

Pentagon tints do a pro job but you pay for it £250 sterling i think it is for a corolla, these guys are the best in the country tho, you get a lifetime guarantee with it.

Then theres TJ autotints who IMO are just as good. £160 sterling is what they charge, i'm getting a dark smoke on my focus in the next week or two with them. Both these guys take out the glass where possible and do an infalable job.

I've seen work that the crowd up in blanchardstown has done and its not nearly as good, i'm not sure how much they charge though.

If you want numbers for those guys i'll post them up later my phones out in the car and its raining :(

Farlz

btw its not a DIY job unless you want to fcuk the car up

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Farls wrote:
    If you want numbers for those guys i'll post them up later my phones out in the car and its raining :(
    Im in Dublin city centre and it is lovely here :D

Anyway, is there any kind of legal aspect to tinted windows in Ireland? If so, do the gardai enforce it in any way?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,946 ✭✭✭red_ice

i was quoted 240 from visionFX for my civic, which is good but... you can buy window tint film in LIDL for 6 euro a roll! each roll will do 2 windows, and its the stuff the pros use too!

its really hard to do it, and there is a technique which uses fairy liquid, water a sponge and basin. Just clean the window and leave it till completely dry, then put an even ammount the mixture of liquid and water on the window using the sponge. place the film over the window then use the sponge to wipe circular motions from the center outwards to the edge of the film. Then trim the film with a stanly blade. Wipe over, stretch, do what ever you have to do to make sure that there are no bubbles - if there are, take it off asap and start over. You have to sit by it and rub every 2 minutes to make sure it doesnt bubble. Takes around 30 mins per window to do it right tho. So do one, then prime the next window and work on that, then take a lil break and do the next window...

Its like juggling but it saves you 180 odd quid :)

Hope thats some help to let you consider being a manly man and doing it yourself... or givin someone 1/2 a weeks wages to do it! :P

There's a Pentagon in Dublin, that the same crowd?

http://www.pentagon-eire.com/

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭ando

Shades in Blanchardstown Dublin are very good. I got 5 windows done for 200 and its a perfect job

• Registered Users Posts: 2,647 ✭✭✭impr0v

kbannon wrote:
    Anyway, is there any kind of legal aspect to tinted windows in Ireland? If so, do the gardai enforce it in any way?

I was under the impression that tinting the windscreen was illegal, all other windows were fair game, but you do see a good few windscreens tinted as well. Unsure as to whether it's enforced or as to the precise details of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Johncleary wrote:
    I dont know how much it will cost financially, but it will cost a lot of patience, what with being pulled by the Gardaí non-stop, especially if your car is even ever so slightly tarted up!

Yeh right, you base that on what experience ?
    I have never been stopped once for my tints, there are so many vehicles out there that are tinted that the gards would have a nightmare checking them all.
    kbannon wrote:

Afaik, its not to be done on the full windscreen for safety reasons, however the law is not enforced on this issue yet nor on the depth of tinting unlike in the uk.
    ando wrote:
    Shades in Blanchardstown Dublin are very good. I got 5 windows done for 200 and its a perfect job

Cost me 260 including a small stripe of tint on the upper windscreen last month.

• Advertisement

kbannon wrote:
    When I got my first car done about 10-15 years ago, there were no restrictions bar that the front windscreen couldn't be tinted. I seem to remember someone telling me at some stage that you're no longer allowed tint the side windows with the darkest tint now, but I could easily be wrong about that.

As to being stopped, I drove two cars with tints over about ten years of driving, one with full tints, the other with full tints in the back, slightly lighter in the front. I was very, very rarely stopped, and I can only think of one single occasion that I /may/ have been pulled for the tints.

And my cars were "tarted up", or more accurately, tarted down. Both were black, and the tints made them look even more dodgy. So at a guess it's probably those go-faster stripes you've got down the side of your Civic JohnCleary. :)

adam

• Subscribers Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭TCP/IP

do you guys on the motor thread think that tinting your motor looks good. IMO it just makes a car look cheap no matter what it is - be it Honda Civic or a Porsche just wondering what you think

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭DaveD

I asked a Garda friend of mine to check out the legalities of tints in this country before getting mine done as i didn't want any hassle. He checked it out and there is no law whatsoever in this country regarding tints bar you cannot tint your windscreen, just put a sun-visor on. The only way you tints might get you in trouble is if you are involved in an accident and the other party says the tints were partly responsible because you couldn't see them.... There has never been a prosecution in Ireland for tinted windows.

@TCP/IP - Firstly most people tint their windows these days for security reasons so the little thieving scum have a hard time seeing whats inside. Secondly, they do look nice on most cars, but you will see the odd tacky tint job done on some cars.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭daggeredge

thanks for all the quick replies!
    had a quick word with him and he's thinking of going with the "tint the glass" option
    hopefully EARS motorsport might be able to do it, on the chance they won't I'm sure he can try somewhere else...
    Personally I like tinting but i don't know would i do it myself

• Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭ando

gurramok wrote:
    Cost me 260 including a small stripe of tint on the upper windscreen last month.

u must be no good at haggling :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

DaveD wrote:
    @TCP/IP - Firstly most people tint their windows these days for security reasons so the little thieving scum have a hard time seeing whats inside. Secondly, they do look nice on most cars, but you will see the odd tacky tint job done on some cars.

Plus the heat factor.
    When they say about tints that it blocks the heat from the sun, they are certainly right. Now I only have to worry about the heat coming through the windscreen, if only there was a legal way to tint it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

gurramok wrote:
    Plus the heat factor.
    When they say about tints that it blocks the heat from the sun, they are certainly right. Now I only have to worry about the heat coming through the windscreen, if only there was a legal way to tint it :)

If money was no object you could get some of that controllable tint glass made into a windscreen. Having a whole car fitted with that would be :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭iMax

Just out of interest, Which shade would you guys think would go well on a gunmetal (dark metallic grey) ford focus ?

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭dcGT

ando wrote:
    u must be no good at haggling :cool:

There's ALWAYS room for haggling :D

I paid €260 for mine too. The price is dependent on the size of the car/windows aswell as whether it's a 3/5 door. 5 doors are more work as they have to remove more door cards etc.

Personally, I would NEVER attempt this job myself. The pros do an excellent job. I got mine done in 'Shades' (BM Blass Coatings) in Blanch too.

Also, recently, the UK have changed the law so that now NO tint whatsoever is allowed on the driver/passenger windows or windscreen (sunstrip is allowed). I have a few friends over there that have the tints for a few years and now have to remove the tint (a messy job) from these windows. The police do enforce this law over there too. I reckon it will only be a matter of time before something like that it brought over here :mad:

As was already mentioned, in the UK there is a legal limit of tint for the other windows

DC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 559 ✭✭✭jongore

JohnCleary wrote:
    I dont know how much it will cost financially, but it will cost a lot of patience, what with being pulled by the Gardaí non-stop, especially if your car is even ever so slightly tarted up! :mad:

Have to agree, it's not worth the hastle as the guards will stop you every chance they get, it will also lower the resale value of the car if it's even slightly off (Most of these jobs are)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭Farls

The number for TS Autotints in the north is 00447703715608 if anyone is wondering.

Can't find pentagons number now tho god knows what i saved it on the phone as.

On a gunmetal grey focus i'd go for a dark smoke, seen one done with this before and it looked good,it was dropped on 17's with big mud flaps and looked sexy ;)

I know a hell of a lot of ppl with tints, myself included in that and the guards have not once stopped because of or mentioned the tint...

IMO it suits some cars really well and some it don't suit at all

Farlz

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement