Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spare Hard Drive - unable to format

Options
  • 03-08-2004 10:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭

Hi,

I recently had a new 2nd Hard Drive installed. I plan on using it as a back-up to the original. I am using XP and am unable to format the new drive. I presume I need to format the drive from a command prompt but have typed format e: and this has not worked.

I have checked the properties of the disk and it is RAW.

I can't ask the guy who fitted the drive as I kinda "borrowed" a spare hard drive from work.

Any ideas how I can format the drive.

Cheers,

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

Control Panel>Performance and Maintenance>Administrative Tools>Computer Managment>Disk Managment

It should show up in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Yeah you will have to partition the drive before you can format it. Everything can be done from Disk Management as above.

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Diddy Kong

Yeah you will have to partition the drive before you can format it
    why would he have to do that??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭Dun

Because you have to have a partition before you have a drive to format.

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭kaiphas

Thanks for that gentlemen. HDD now working installed, partitioned, formatted and working 100%.

I really appreciate your help.

Cheers

• Advertisement
Advertisement