Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Some advice for an infrequent game-buyer.

Options
  • 03-08-2004 10:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭

I don't buy too many games a year, but I've just got me some new RAM (I now have 768mb) and a new graphics card (9600XT 256MB), so I want to get a new game or two to take advantage of the new power. Problem is, I don't have broadband, so I'd like an FPS game with that plays well on single player mode. How is Fry-Cry on Single player? Any other ideas?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

You obviously don't keep your eye lips open.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

I've heard good things about this game where you're this yellow ball that runs around mazes eating stuff and dodging ghosts. I think it's called Pokémon.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

I quite liked Far Cry in single player. Never tried it multiplayer.
    Max Payne 2 is also very good single player, but not long enough. (That said if you played max payne 1 and didn't like it you won't like max payne 2) Should be available pretty cheap by now. Both max payne games are two of the very few games I have actually finished.
    Grand Theft Auto Vice City and GTA3 are great too - assuming you haven't already got them. You can get a twin-pack with both games for a reasonable price as well. GTA3 is a bit more difficult than Vice City.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭ReefBreak

You obviously don't keep your eye lips open.
    Actually, I do, but would like some opinions from here - the, ahem, games section of boards.ie, where people post questions, recommendations and advice on, you know, games.

Thanks for your helpful advice by the way...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Doom 3 soon, obviously.

I highly recommend SW: KOTOR because... well... it's a good game. Easy to get into, plenty of hours (20+) gameplay. Not the latest and greatest thing out at this stage but it's definitely a great game (and it'll get you prepped for the second one - which is probably still 6 months away).

Other than that, Far Cry, Thief 3.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭ReefBreak

Sarky wrote:
    I've heard good things about this game where you're this yellow ball that runs around mazes eating stuff and dodging ghosts. I think it's called Pokémon.
    Honestly, I don't know why you bother. Yawn.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭daveg

Far cry is superb. I just finished it this weekend. As stated previously Max Payne is also excellent. Also try call of duty or Vice City.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

I think we are just sarcasticly pointing out the ridiculous amount of threads of the new game. Its and fps....good single player....one of the most eagerly awaited games ever....good to test out your new upgrades....thats right BOOM 3, I mean DOOM 3!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭eyerer

max payne 1 wasn't all that great, the story was particularly annoying (comic strip)
    don't think you can get the GTA double pack for the pc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 188 ✭✭rabid

Hey Reef,

Obviously wait till next week to get Doom3....

But I'd also invest in Call of Duty - its a top class game and the multiplayer is excellent also.....I've played thru the single player on all difficulties bar easy and the hardest - instant corpse...so there's great replayability....

And of course the sequel - United Offensive is due out later this year, or possibly the 1st Quarter of 2005....and its shaping up to be massive....

Its being developed by Gray Matter who did Return to Castle Wolfenstein....

Thats my 2 cents anyways...

;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement