Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ryanair and Baggage

• 03-08-2004 11:16am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭

Travelling home in 2 days. Flew over on Aer Lingus and was over 15 but thats grand cos theyre 20. Ryanair though - theyre 15 right?! Ive bought more stuff and have to bring things home for others too.

How strict are they?

Can u bring two bags of handluggage. I dont have a laptop case with me unfortunatley. ;)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Bri wrote:
    How strict are they?
    From what I've seen, enforcing the weights comes down to matter of who you actually got. Plenty of times I've seen guys at the check-in desk see a piece of baggage 5kg over the limit, just smile and say "I'll pretend I didn't see that", other times you'll see stoney-faced gits who make people pay for luggage even 1kg over. Tbh, you have to get your luggage home. There's not really much you can do about it. Ryanair's is horribly restrictive though. 15kg is barely enough to carry 3/4 days worth of clothes. Even less for a girl.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,265 ✭✭✭MiCr0

from the ryan air website

CHECKED BAGGAGE

Checked baggage allowance is 15kg per person (no infant allowance). Maximum weight per bag is 32 kilos. Passengers may not use the unused allowances of others. Any excess over 15kg. will be chargeable at the rate of £4.50/€7.00 (or local currency equivalent) per kilo.

from here
    http://www.ryanair.com/faqs/travel.html?id=6

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,148 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Your carry on isn't usually weighed (supposedly an 8 kg limit). Stick your booze in there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭rob1891

I guy I met on the way to Glastonbury (think lots of tentage & beerage packed up in the bag) who said he jammed his foot under the scales so that it came in under the limit. I had a look in Bristol airport and it did seem possible, though I was travelling with a real airline so I didn't need to worry about the weight of my bags :)

they are uping (or have uped) the carry on
    But Ryanair is to increase its carry-on baggage allowance from 7kg to 10kg, which compares very favourably with BA’s 6kg limit
    from
    http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,4161-1157084,00.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

which compares very favourably with BA’s 6kg limit ...

lmao...blatent spin.

Most irritating thing about Ryanair's baggage policy is that you have some check-in idiots who think that if you have 17kg checked-in and 8kg hand luggage, that you should take 2kgs out of your bag and put it in your carry-on. Same f..ing plane you idiots! No-one could explain to me why I could not split the allowance...

Also one tip. Ryanair have a fixed charge for Golf equipment, so it MAY be possible to pack a golf bag with your heavy stuff (I doubt they will ask you to open it)

you can't split the allowance because thats the rule....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭robbie1876

I always wear my 'Ryanair trousers' when I fly with them. Basicaly they are a monster set of combat pants with about 10 pockets. You can stuff all your heavy things into your pockets, I put laptop batteries, bottles, books and brochures, and even clothes into my pockets. After I'm checked in and weighed under the limit, it all goes back into the carry on bag. Happy days...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 384 ✭✭mrhappy42

Just keep a bag out of sight when checking in, then merge into your carry on stuff. Nothing to stop you buying a small aircraft carrier after you check in either.

M

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭grumpytrousers

robbie1876 wrote:
    I always wear my 'Ryanair trousers' when I fly with them. Basicaly they are a monster set of combat pants with about 10 pockets. You can stuff all your heavy things into your pockets, I put laptop batteries, bottles, books and brochures, and even clothes into my pockets. After I'm checked in and weighed under the limit, it all goes back into the carry on bag. Happy days...
    Surely a right pain in the hole when it comes to going thru the metal detector, no? :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 384 ✭✭mrhappy42

My old man always said that if anything was a pain in the hole then your doing it wrong!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭robbie1876

mrhappy42 wrote:
    My old man always said that if anything was a pain in the hole then your doing it wrong!
    :D lol

GrumpyTrousers, I always just put everything back into the carry on bag before I get to the metal detector, but now that you mention it, if its a quiet day at the metal detector I might just leave the stuff in there to give them something to do...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭Bluehair

robbie1876 wrote:
    'Ryanair trousers'

Brilliant! Pure genius :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

MiCr0 wrote:
    you can't split the allowance because thats the rule....

You sound like RyanAir.....

I was asking for logic not T&Cs to be quoted...

Most other airlines don't have this stupid rule.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

seamus wrote:
    15kg is barely enough to carry 3/4 days worth of clothes. Even less for a girl.
    I've no idea how heavy your shirts are but any time I've travelled with just wearables my bag has weighed in about 5 kilos. It's the extra useless stuff that drives me up (books I "might" read, music I "might" listen to and so on)Mind you if your bag is packed with Robbie1876 trousers...

GF was going to Lewes (it's in one of the Sussexes, county town apparently) last year for about two months so was carrying a lot of stuff with her (even a Brita water filter). Total excess bill came to €54 with Ryanair. As is usual on these occasions, she hadn't any cash with her so I had to run to the ATM in Dublin. Happily coming back she was checked in by some bloke in Gatwick who didn't care how heavy her bags were. Maybe she wore a short skirt that day. Or bought some Ryanair trousers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭Bri

Incase your interested I made it back at no extra cost.

Yet the girlfriends parents were charged for 1 kilo over! I hid my 2nd hand luggage and was extra friendly to the french staff who were in great form what with working in Bouvais and all...My hand luggage did break my back though.

Hey at least I could listen to my iPod unlike Aer Lingus! :D

Advertisement