Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

advice on new psu

Options
  • 03-08-2004 2:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭

hey i'm lookin to buy a new psu these days, under the e100 mark.
    hows this?
    peats.ie

comes to e98.50 vat&del.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,754 ✭✭✭Col_Loki

Nice PSU but do you need that kind of power?

Post system specs and ill give you a good idea.

Generally the best for PSU's would be, www.pc-look.com , www.hitide.ie .

Is noise a big factor, ie are you running a silent rig? Im not a fan of peats TBH.

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭the raven

hey loki.
    specs:
    abit IS7-E
    p2.6 @ 3.01
    512 twinmos 400mhz
    9600pro
    maxtor 60gig

will be upping RAM to 1gig soon and new graphics card maybe about october - xmas.

Well you dont need that much power then TBH. How about .......

Fortron 350w
    (cheaper option)

OR

http://www.hitide.ie/catalog/default.php/cPath/32?osCsid=f4d4fb4637340b6aefdec103341614ef - Be-quiets, the 400w will be plenty for you.

Having a look at the prices thats very good from peats, it wouldnt be a bad option at all and that PSU has gotten pretty decent reviews. If your lookin to save money then for 15-20 less the be-quiets are very nice and quiet, or for ~€35-40 less the Fortron will do a nice job aswell.

cheers mucho loki

the fortron aurora350 comes to e68.29 inc vat&del (pc-look)

the bequiet370 comes to e80.30 inc vat&del.... (hitide)

hmmm....

i think i will go for the fortron...

thanks again loki.

col loki
    not to be a stickler but how does this sound to you?

bequiet 370 watt
    zalman 7000AlCu

e121.20 incl vat&del (hitide)

and would the fortron 350 be better than the bequiet 370? i remember you saying before about fortron going beyond etc etc...

• Advertisement

The 370w Be-quiet should power your system pretty well, and there very quiet. Add a Zalman and your talkin a very nice noise reduction.

The fortron will output prob 420w roughly. It will be a noisier than the Be-quiet (but alot quieter than no-names / q-tecs etc).

Either would be a good option IMO....... Be-quiet (quieter, better voltage rails - slightly) ........ fortron (cheaper, a little more power)

ordered the bequiet! and zalman.
    thanks for the help!

No probs, should make a very nice noise difference!! Give us a shout when your Graphics card / Northbridge fan / Hard drives start to annoy you :D

PS You will prob get a better overclock with the Zalman (and also if the PSU was holding you back before).

• Registered Users Posts: 65,382 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Col_Loki wrote:
    Give us a shout when your Graphics card / Northbridge fan / Hard drives start to annoy you :D

Hehe, this WILL happen :)

P.S. Loki, finally got rid of my NB HSF and replaced it with the NB47 I've had lying around for months. I just created two clips myself from 2 large paperclips - not as elegant as Sir Random's solution but it is working perfectly!

Lower temps and the most annoying noise from the rig is now gone :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭BadCharlie

Could you post a pic by any chance ? Mine is driving me mad also. When it starts it makes a much louder noise but dies down after a min. Its like as if when i start my computer up it runs faster then it should which makes alot of noise.

• Advertisement

P.S. Loki, finally got rid of my NB HSF and replaced it with the NB47 I've had lying around for months. I just created two clips myself from 2 large paperclips - not as elegant as Sir Random's solution but it is working perfectly!

LOL . Its about time !! Im pretty happy with mine, the harddisks are lovely and quiet but can still hear them at times.
    Im trying to get an almost silent dual rig up and running at the min (well i have nearly all the parts just need registered memory but am outa money).
    Could you post a pic by any chance ? Mine is driving me mad also. When it starts it makes a much louder noise but dies down after a min. Its like as if when i start my computer up it runs faster then it should which makes alot of noise

If you have the NF7-S then you have nothing to worry about, just get the NB47 and it comes with the two bolts to hold it down. You only need to go modding if you have the strange NB with the clips (newer intel boards).

Advertisement