Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cas Latency on New RAM

Options
  • 03-08-2004 2:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

My system currently has two Cas 2 256 MB TWINMOS Twister DDR RAM modules sitting in on the mother board.

I wanted to throw this http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.asp?sku=113518&cks=PRL in on the motherboard as well. Now the RAM is fairly similar being DIMM 184-PIN with the Memory Speed of 400 MHz (PC3200).

The only difference is the Cas Latency on the older chips are 2.0 and the current TwinMos chips are 2.5.

Now would there be any problem adding the 2.5 in with the 2.0?

The original RAM (the Twister stuff) can be seen here http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.asp?sku=120095&cks=PRL

Help much appreciated here as i'm not up to speed on Cas Latency's

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭BKtje

I dont see any problem. What will happen tho is that it will run at cas2.5 instead of cas2 (ie at the slower timings so that your new stick of ram will work).
    What voltage does your original ram run at?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Redrocket

ive got two of those non-twister CL2.5 256mb cards and another 512mb card of it. ive them all running at 2-2-2-6. its ddr400 ram ive it running at 333mhz though so it might not handle those timings at 400mhz

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭stakey

the voltage on the original two chips is 2.5 V.

Not sute what the voltage is on the new one...

cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Redrocket

the main problem would be twister ram having to slow down to the speed of the normal ram, but you could try and see if you can push the normal ram faster like i did so that all your cards will run fast

Advertisement