Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Long winded question

Options
  • 03-08-2004 3:36pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hi All,

Just discovered this board and am looking forward to some interesting discussions. For now I have a bit of a long winded question that I hope some of you will find (at least a little) interesting.

Up untill about 3 years ago I never really believed in anything paranormal,supernatural or religious. As far as I was concerned, if science couldn't explain it, or at least confirm it existed, then it didn't exist. As a quick example of my sceptisim, by the time I was 4 or 5 I'd realised that there was no way that a certain jolly man could perform the annual feats he reputedly does (is that vague enough to be safe ?).

Anyway, all my life I had the normal psychic type experiences that lots of people have, knowing when the phone was going to ring and knowing who it would be, knowing when you were going to bump in to a particular at random and so on, but I easily dismissed these as coincedences. I also had stronger experiences, they're very similar to deja-vu (which I also get sometimes so I can tell the difference), basically I get a very strong deja-vu feeling and actually have memories of what's happening as opposed to just feeling I've seen it before. Very occasionally, as it's happening, I can remember what's coming next, such as somebody turning around and saying something, the exact way a bunch of snooker balls broke after somebody mis-hit the cueball, and other general everyday events. I still tried to put this down as coincidence, or maybe my subconcious was just guessing or something like that and was doing pretty well untill I had a chat with a friend of mine. It turns out she's psychic, we'd known each other years but never brought this up until then. We had a good chat about it and did a quick test and, as you've probably guessed by now, my whole belief system did a couple of somersaults, landed flat on it's back and refused point blank to get back up.

I've spent the last 3 or so years trying to learn more about this kind of thing but there's a lot of ... well ... crap ... out there and it's pretty hard to pick out the good stuff. I've learnt to see aura's (barely) and been told (I can't see colours at all) that I have an indigo one which, among other things, means I'm pre-disposed to psychic kinda stuff. I came to the conclusion, pretty much on my own, that our "soul" for want of a better word is a form of electromagnetic vibration, a view I've seen repeated here. I had a pretty good scientific explanation for it but I can't remember most of it now (have to start writing these things down :-). Still it's allowed me for now to believe in things like telepathy, levitation (that would be sweet :-) and so on.

I'm not sure exactly what I'm trying to ask but I suppose I want to know where people think I should go from here ? I'd like to learn more about the human potential and try to develop some control over my own abilities. Ultimately I want to understand whatever it is that's behind various psychic, paranormal abailities/events and so on. I've taken to believing that our subconciouses (which I now think of as kind of an interface between our physical and spiritual selves), on some level or other, know all this. I think that this has manifested itself as various religions / spiritualities, each of which contains pieces of the truth, which is why people believe so deeply in them, but filtering through all of the embroidery added by our concious minds would take several lifetimes.

Does anybody here have similar thoughts / experiences ? Or does anybody have any advice on where to try and find out more about this kind of stuff ? Anybody think I'm crazy and should be locked up (feel free I could use a holiday) ?

Sorry again for the length of the post, I'll try to keep it down from now on ;)

<edited for layout>

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

The lenght of the post is fine, but put in some damn paragraphs!!

As for advice, im sorta in the same position at the moment, so let's see what advice other people give us both!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭keu

I wandered down a similar path myself.(should be nice to have some interesting discussions) The only difficulty I have is finding somewhere with a broad enough platform to discuss everything within. paranormal/spiritual/metaphysical just doesnt seem to cater for it all and most of the forums I've come across online are very cliqy, either right wing religionist/spiritualist/pagan and I'm not interested in the wicca hippy side of things really.

I've had a few mad experiences I wouldn't dare talk about in the light of day for fear of being lambasted so I've kind of learned to just know them for myself and for the knowledge and experience garnered.
    eh...as for the whole "indigo" stuff, I found myself at the core of the "indigo movement" a couple of years ago and I've come to many conclusions (might write a book about it someday) but for the most part I feel its a sort of mass hysteria, a sort of propaganda being fed to mostly the American public in light of the increasing diagnosis of A.D.D.
    Should make for a good discussion though.

re:indigo aura
    everybody has an aura and everybody's aura radiates particular frequencies during particular times. different frequencies show up as different colours.
    I might go so far as to suggest that any colour change is temporary and is a reflection of any "current" state of affairs.
    Indigo/Purple within the field represents "spirituality"; if one becomes preoccupied with spiritual thoughts this frequency resonates as the colour indigo/purple.
    many meditations focus on balancing these frequencies by focusing on particular points within the "aura" often referred to as chakras (spinning wheels), each chakra is defined by a colour:
    red denotes the the root/base chakra (at the base of the spine)represents alignment with the primal self/or grounding
    orange denotes the sacral chakra (just below the naval) represents the area of expression/impression
    yellow denotes the solar plexus (just above the naval) represents the area concerned with the balance of emotions
    green denotes the heart chakra (mid chest) and represents the area aligned with compassion for the self (often incororated with pink which repersents compassion for others)
    blue denotes the throat chakra which represents the area of communication
    indigo/violet/purple represents the third eye (pineal gland) and represents the area of awarness/intuition
    white denotes the crown chakra (top of head) which represents the point of connection. (with the inner/higher self)
    (these are my own definitions, I'm sure there are many more that can be added)

This is kind of a map so to speak of the "ghost in the machine", some people claim to be able to "see" the chakras and relate varying colours to health issues and or general wellbeing/state of mind.

Indigo frequency speaks of someone who is intune with their spiritual selves, very aware and intuitive.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

"I've had a few mad experiences I wouldn't dare talk about in the light of day for fear of being lambasted "

I PROMISE that I will lambast you if you don't share.

Please?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,286 ✭✭✭SprostonGreen

I'd like to get some meditation CD's that focus on Chakra's, does anyone know of any?

I read a book called the Inward Revolution, it talks of chakra's and energies, I'd recommend it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

Keu: I've seen many sites like those aswell. They all seem to have some stuff I'd believe in but they all seem to have their own twists that they try to push you towards. I think what I'll try to do when I have the time is to take a look at all the major religions and philosophies and "borrow" what seems right from them and try to put my own twist on it. It'd probably take years do do it compehensivly but I'm sure there's plenty of books out there that have done most of the work already.

As far as aura colours go I was under the impression, possibly wrongly, that while they fluctuate with mood, health etc, everybody has a base or "default" colour. I agree with you about the hype around indigo people though. I think a lot of comes from parents of ADD kids wanting to believe that their kids aren't "sick" or "mentally ill" but that they're "special" instead. Like most paranormal things it's hard to see if there's any truth behind it with all the bull***t people add in.

Phlematic: I'd guess there are many people out there in similar positions, hopefully some are more knowledgeable than us

oops, double post.

the other stuff....hmmmm...its difficult to even speak about it because I don't want to be considered a freak, its stuff based in experience and not in "belief"
    I've had a few encounters with electrical phenomena.
    I sat in what can only be described as a ball of electricity. (I did look up lightning balls but didn't fit the description with the exception that It did literally come through the wall)
    the only difference was, when I got movement back into my body (was paralysed with fear) I ran out of the room in pannic I stoped in the hallway (looking for a place to hide) and the same thing came through the front door straight at me.
    It really did look like a ball of lightning, could feel and see the electricity like a cloud of static, was all glittery with a yellowish glow about it.

and then funny things started happening.

(oh and i was considered indigo at the time too, must have messed with my brain frequencies :P)

Facts -

- Ball lightning is usually spherical in shape, between a centimeter and a meter in diameter.

- Ball lightning comes in every color of the rainbow. No one color seems to be characteristic of ball lightning. It is not unheard of for ball lightning to change both its size and color. Though it is not especially bright, it is easily seen in daylight.

- Ball lightning can move at speeds of several meters per second. . .or simply sit still. Many reports describe ball lightning as spinning or rotating; others say that a lack of asymmetry makes it impossible to tell if the ball lightning is moving on its axis.

- Ball lightning has been known to pass through walls.

- Ball lightning has been known to be cool to the touch.

- Ball lightning has been known to melt walls.

- Ball lightning has been known to quietly dissipate.

- Ball lightning has been known to last from under five seconds to as long as a minute

- Ball lightning has been known to explode violently.

- Ball lightning has been known to pulse.

- Ball lightning has been known to melt peoples' faces off.

- Ball lightning has been known to appear out of nowhere.

- You can make ball lightning in your microwave.

- You could die making ball lightning in your microwave.

- Ball lightning has been known to rise demonically from the ground.

- Ball lightning has been known to be white, yellow, red or green.

- Ball lightning has been known to appear in flying planes.

- Ball lightning has been known to kill people.

- Ball lightning has been known to appear in flying planes.

As with all unexplained phenomena - there is no one accepted theory that accounts for all the characteristics of ball lightning. The majority of current theories can be grouped into one of two categories:

- Ball lightning is actually a case of mistaken identity and can be easily accounted for using accepted scientific fact

- Ball lightning is as of yet an unexplainable phenomenon

Many skeptics agree that there is some substance to ball lightning sightings, but they would rather believe that it is a case of mistaken identity. They believe eyewitnesses saw something, but that what they saw was anything but ball lightning.

Some witnesses believe that ball lightning is linked with UFO activity.

..although I just found this and there's quite a few similarities.
    1. it was about a meter in diameter and i spose spherical is as close as you could come to ascribing definition to something that looks like a dust cloud.
    2. it wasn't especially bright, not like blinding lightning bright, but yet parts of it hit the retina (like images left after a bright flash) other wise it was just a burst of energy type light..(is hard to describe)
    3. It moved quicker han the eye could follow yet i sat in it for at least 30 seconds, and then it reappeared from another location, this time like a lightning bolt. (I ducked and dived, I wasn't seeing things)
    4. It came through both wall and door.
    5..It was cool to the touch, yet it was accompanied by a strange sensation )or perhaps that was just electrified fear)
    6. didn't melt wall.
    7. it did quietly dissapate second time round (after sitting in it again for another 30 seconds)
    8. lasted about a minute in all.
    9.didn't explode
    10. did have a pulsing sensation, but totally random.
    11.did not rip my face off :s
    12. just appeared out of nowhere (and there wasn't thunder/lightning reported anywhere else)
    13.I didn't make it in the microwave.
    14.came head height from wall and from door
    15. I would describe as yellow.
    16. didn't kill me.
    the ufo link is humourus considering the instance occured in sept 2002, a few months after my encounter with the aurora borealis.(account below) -I must have gotten charged up by that thing.

edit:sorry for long winded response and going slightly off topic :)

• Advertisement

Interesting, I can't say that I've ever seen anything like that, but given what I wrote above I don't think I'm in any position to not believe you though. Sounds pretty scary, I bet you're glad you didn't know the bit about

- Ball lightning has been known to melt peoples' faces off.
    have you ever seen anything else like that or was it just a once off ?

Just out of curiosity when you said

(oh and i was considered indigo at the time too, must have messed with my brain frequencies :P)
    do you mean that you used to be and since then you're something else, or that just as it was happening you were indigo ?

morning steve
    Thats the only thing I really ever "saw". (although I could "feel" a lot)
    I've had lots of other experiences, for the most part I only began to recognise things after my father died. (5years ago) and although I was beginning to open up to another side of things, I wasn't a member of any groups, so it was never discussed and as far as I was concerned it was just a different way of thinking. (and nothing outrageously paranormal~dreams with messages etc..)
    In late august 2002 I came across a group online and I began to share what was normal common occurance for me and this group kind of brought all those things to the surface and immediately labelled me indigo. (the ball lightning thing appeared a couple of weeks into meeting this group..and lots of other electrical phenomena)...in all fairness I did feel like a ball of electricity for most of the time.
    I will admit during that time I was focused on nothing else but spiritual experiences and the more focused I became the more I had and it was all very intense, in fact it was too intense, so I've spent the last year "earthing" myself and getting away from it all (I was like an electrical charge :)
    I don't consider myself indigo now.

(oh..I recall meeting a few native americans, and one guy in particular called me a wakinyan oyate~"lightning people", apparantly it was a common description amongst native americans a long time before anyone coined the "indigo" term)

Hi Keu,

Sorry to hear about your father. I've heard that experiences like that can sort of "trigger" latent abilities you may not have noticed before, or at least not as strongly. I've never really felt "presences", except for once or twice. I'd been reading about remote viewing at a site, I think it was http://www.viking-z.org. The guy who writes it goes on a lot about psychic attacks and government conspiracies and so on aswell. I thought most of it was probably crap but I decided to give it a go. Twice soon after that I felt as if the CIA or similar was trying to remote view me and make me too paranoid/afraid to try it again :eek: At the time though I was in the habit of smoking stuff that left me a little ..erm.. too open minded, shall we say. I've since put it down to that.

I do kind of feel a presence of somebody when I'm around them, not very hard I'm sure you're thinking, but I think it's more than most people do, altough it's hard to tell. I can almost feel the emotions they're feeling and, not quite read their mind but I often have a rough idea of the gist of it. It's actually not even that much, it's very hard to put into words. I'd often be walking around somewhere, like town or a shopping centre and feel a persons presence and then bump in to them soon after. It sometimes seems like the longer it is since I've seen the person, the sooner I feel their presence, if I have seen someone fairly recently I'd only sense them maybe an hour or so before hand but if it's been years then I sense them a few days in advance. I've had a few people tell me that when they're talking to me it feels like I'm reading their minds, not just because I understand whatever they're talking about but because they can almost feel me in there, I even had on girl scream at me to get out of her head and stop reading her mind. It's a pity I can't actually read minds, I'd bet there's all kinds of interesting things I could learn ;)

That must have been pretty cool meeting the native americans, and "wakinyan oyate" seems pretty appropriate for you. I've been meaning to look more into their beliefs and cultures, they seem to have figured a lot out long before others did. Ditto for some of the asian religions, western "civilisation" only seems to starting to catch up now, and not very quickly.

Remote viewing is more common than is percieved. many assosiate it with astral projection or distant healing. I think we all do it to an extent its just people aren't aware that is what may be occuring. For instance, thinking of someone you havent seen or heard from in a while, thinking of calling them and then getting a phone call from the person you were thinking about. This is very basic. How do you know (or not know) you were actually connecting with them and not just a quirk of coincidence.?
    Remote viewing has been studied for years and they have come up with very interesting and positive results. The techniques are used by govt agencies by means of providing intelligence, its not a conspiracy theory, it is fact. (its not secret either)
    brief discussion on remote viewing here by Dr. Wayne carr/or check out his website www.remoteviewers.com
    http://www.psiresearch.org/
    for scientific analysis

Yea, tha hash certainly helps to open the mind. I smoked occasionally throughout teenage years and into early adulthood, but I was never inclined to be "spiritually thinking" because of it or have "spiritual experiences" during those times :/
    ..but I did have a liking for pink floyd and mad parties :p
    convienently it did help repress a lot of other stufff...

...anyway, onto the presence thing.
    I would feel a "presence" very strongly, like electricity and I would feel it in my chest and depending on the "surge" it could be very constricting.
    During these times I had a habit of saying things that seemed to be meaningful for others, stuff would just flow out of my gob and they were out before I could stop them. after a while I could just ramble off "spirit" readings without having to think about it. Where was I getting all this information from? (same with "reading minds")
    It wasn't useless information, it was names, places, dates, personal information and it was always always correct.
    I trusted it all for a long time and then I began to doubt that it was "real".
    I stopped trusting people who continually confirmed those incidences, I thought how easy it could be for people to say "yea... thats my dads name and yea he did die from cancer and yes he was 43 and that was his favourite song and wow how did you do that.. yada yada."
    I think its all down to some sort of "field connection", tapping into information that is bound up in all that energy that we are all a part of. Its like a big fountain of knowledge thats readily available to drink from, if you choose to.

yea, I like wakinyan oyate too...at least it made sense :p

..but I did have a liking for pink floyd and mad parties

Yeh hash, Pink Floyd and mad parties go very well together, but you can only do them for so long. I did have this one experience once where I only smoked a little bit but got really stoned for some reasonand it wouldn't seem to wear off so after a few hours I just went to bed. My mind started going around in circles and just wouldn't stop. There was about 15 thoughts on this kind wheel and thought 1 would lead to thought 2, to 3 to 4 and so on. I could almost hear or feel a *clunk* every time I moved on to a thought. After a while I fell asleep and had this dream where I was sitting at a subway station in America except it was over-ground, which I couldn't figure out at the time. I looked up and saw a train coming and got up and started walking mechanically towards it and with every step I could hear/feel a *clunk*, after a few steps i realised i was going to end up on the tracks in front of the train but couldn't stop myself, luckily I woke up just before I fell off the platform. A few months later I went over to Boston with some friends from college, we were riding the subway and had to get off at one station to change for a different train. So if found myself sitting in the exact station I'd dreamed about, there was no way I'd ever seen it before or knew I'd end up there. I looked up and saw a train coming and guess what I heard.... *clunk*.
    I stayed firmly planted on that seat for about 10 minutes not budging :eek:

I've read some of the stuff you mentioned about remote viewing before and it does seem like there's something there, most of the ex-government types who've talked about seem to say it's not very precise or acurate, but some of them say they used it for looking at documents hidden in safes in some secret base in Russia etc , I suppose it's just another one of the many things I'm going to have to try out and see for myself. I hope this reincarnation stuff is true aswell or else I'll never have the time for all this :) I'd guess you're right about it being more common then thought on some levels though, things like the phone calls are probably more a causal phenomena than a predictive one if that makes sense. I've taken to believe in "fields" aswell altough I can't quite remember how I came upon that idea, it would be interesting to see how distant an effect they can have and how strong an effect can be.

unified field theory. do a google

and a link to US govt sponsored reseacrh labs for cognitive sciences, including remote viewing.

:)

Thanks for the link Keu, they seem to have some good detailed stuff, and the scientific approach they take makes it a bit easier for my poor little brain to accept :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭MeatProduct

For those of you wanting to know more about the human potential you should try the following books:

Journey's Out Of The Body - Robert Monroe (he has two follow-up books also)
    Seth Speaks - Jane Roberts (highly recommended)
    The Cosmic Serpent - Jeremy Narby
    The Art of Dreaming - Carlos Castaneda
    Living Magically - Gill Edwards

I'd go for anything by the channelled entities Seth and Kryon.

Nick

Advertisement