Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's eating my memory????

Options
  • 03-08-2004 3:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭

What's eating my memory????, I only have about 600 kb of memory in my c drive. I've deleted most of the stuff running on my comp, just keeping my essential stuff on, - IE6, zone alarm, msn messenger. I've done all the spyware checks, etc there's nothg there. ????
    Have a program called advanced system Optimizer but it can't find the problem.
    I have a Compaq 5000 series
    700mhz
    memory 63 mb 100% used
    NVIDIA Vanta/Vanta Lt
    Windows ME

I know it's old, and I am getting a new one soon, but would like to use this till it's last legs. Any help in freeing up abpout a gig would be much appreciated.
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Sir Random

I presume you mean hard drive space, so try emptying your IE cache and your "deleted items" folder in Outlook.

Also, delete contents of any "temp" folders.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭newbie2

Thanks dude, tried that but still only freed up about 90 mb. Still have 6.64 gb used and I don't know where it is being used. i'll keep trying- by deleting things !! A mate of mine suggest I reinstall windows ? Would this mean that i have to download all of my apps, like zone alarm again ?
    PS
    I don't have outlook - I deleted it a few weeks ago to get more Hd space.!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭L5

try deleteing your system restore points.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭newbie2

Some one also suggested that to me, Is this hard to do, I'm afraid of killing whats left of my comp !!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Redrocket

try un-installing all your unused apps, and deleting the folders they left if any,
    clear all your temporary folders, like c:\temp\ or C:\WINNT\Temp\
    i cant remember the temporary folders of win98 so just search for temp and you should find some temp folder full of crap

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭bambam

Mate the handiest little program to see what is using up you space is diskdata. It displays folders as a bar (or pie) chart. You can drill down into each folder to see a futher breakdown of space in use.

do a search on google for it, it's by a company called digital gallery (I'd do it myself but there's something funny going on with out Net access at work)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 832 ✭✭✭pyrogenx

2 ways:

1. get a data recovery program. with that u'll be able to see exactly whats on ur HD in terms row data. You can then delete files and folders that u may not be able to see with the windows explorer.

2. Format HD and reinstall Windows. If u have anything important on ur computer just back it up first.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,121 ✭✭✭Explosive_Cornflake

download the program scanner from http://www.steffengerlach.de/freeware/
    its a great little util that shows you what folders and files use what space, great for seeing whats using your space.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,312 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

I find JDisk Report easier to read/understand then what you have linked to Explosive_Cornflake but either of the two will do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭Tivoli

goto - start - search -find files or folders

enter by size ,more then, 5000kb

and hit find

you now have a list of the huge fookers, see if you can delete some of them,

turn off hibernation if you don't use it, (it in the power setting on the screen saver page)

• Advertisement
Advertisement