Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

what has GAA come to?

• 03-08-2004 4:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭

[COLOR=Indigo]I for one am shocked at the display these last few weeks has brought from the GAA. Starting it all off was the cork and tipp match(pretty sure it was this one) with fighting spilling onto the sideline as one guy fell into the opposing selectors. (correct me if im wrong the memorys goin) :eek:
    Then the tussle between Henry Shefflin and Quinn with the result of Sheff being very lucky of not losing his eye.
    And now we have the minors at it, Laois and Cork, it is not the fans or the players but the selectors who riled it up again just as it was about to be quietened.
    Surely in this day and age they could have some way of monitoring off the ball tackles, umpires should be at all times on watch and maybe even have a few reporters up somewhere in a stand where they can talk down into the refs earpiece.
    Fans have also become abusive and even at a local GAA match (not my home), fans were in a punch - up over a decision made by the ref. Another local game i was at, the manager of the opposite side was shouting all sorts of obsene language, however i did find it quiet funny coz he looked like a vein was going to pop any minute.
    All the same it'll be a sorry day for the GAA if fans have to be seperated at Croke Park in a soccer type fashion... now that would be a tragedy...[/COLOR]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Flukey

It gets more media coverage these days but there have always been melees and schemozzels, as Michael O'Hehir used to call them, at matches. There was a referee at a club game in Wicklow locked in his boot nearly 20 years ago. So it is nothing new, it just gets more coverage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 366 ✭✭kilkennycat2004

Very few ex players getting involved in officiating at both hurling & football.

Many will remember the famous picture of Mick Mackay in white coat discussing something with Christy Ring while Ringy still playing for Cork.

Wexford's Nicky Rackard was umpire at 1957 Waterford/Kilkenny All ireland amongst other big games.

Mackay & Rackard two all time greats. Nowadays even bit players dont move on to this after retirement. :D

Advertisement