Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clicksilver Users Gather Here Please

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭PowerHouseDan

Rang there and i said i not paying for this month because i wont be getting the service this month nor prob any month,was on hold for about 3 min got back she asked for my account details and said charles will ring you when the problem have been fixed,he will will each individual person and talk about redeeming me/others

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

jonski wrote:
    I would have thought this fell more under a 'service' issue ?
    w/technical/service/g :)
    It's still an issue with one particular provider. Not strictly an IOFFL issue, basically because everyone on Clicksilver still has access to broadband, even by other providers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 959 ✭✭✭kin9pin

Just received a phone call from Charles, apologising for the delay and the problems. That was it really, he confirmed that they plan to have everything fixed by the end of the month.
    Don't know about you, but I'm going to have to think long and hard about getting out of this contract, a month is a long time.
    Still, it's the first time I've ever RECEIVED a call from UTV support so maybe that's a good sign :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭Paddy20

Considering the stranglehold that EirCon still have on the lines, exchanges and last mile linkline/telephone line in to your home,and the fact that they clearly hate anyone entering - Their patch.

It is something of a miracle the progress that has been achieved by anyone in competition with the monopolistic questionable anti-competitive business tactics of EirCoN.

When was the last time anyone saw a direct reply on Boards.ie or the IrelandOFFline forum from 'anyone' in Eircom ?... :eek:

Remember Eircom was a public utility robbed from the citizens of the Irish Republic, and is now even a registered business in London, as it still continues to fleece telephone and internet user's here in the ROI.

Anyone prepared to be robbed again by them is IMO totally crazy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 856 ✭✭✭andrew163

dub45 wrote:
    Your post seems to be me to be quite contradictory - surely the basic job of any isp is to provide a reliable and fast connection?

No matter how good the customer service is its largely irrelevant if the basic product is not right. And asking people to phone back later in the week (as has been reported here) when Charles returns is not very good customer service to put it mildly!!!

what i was saying was, yes, their product is absolute crap, and needs to be fixed. But the people on this board bitching about the customer service side..i.e. not replying to every single post they make on the newsgroups about the same issue over and over again... aren't helping matters. They communicate with customers about problems alot more then any other ISPs would..

the last time I remember UTV going down was when the esat end of it failed and IOL was down aswell. I didn't hear ANYTHING about IOL explaining the problem to customers or even mentioning it. Yet the UTV newsgroup had updates from customer service regularly until the service went back up again.

Just cos they don't waste their time making blank posts when they have no new information to give doesn't mean the world is ending..

that said, and ill mention this again for the third time to avoid misunderstandings, their product IS sub-standard and imo not of merchantable quality, it desperatly needs to be fixed.

In response to the post charles just made on the newsgroups....
    Hurry up UTV and fix the problem. Before people start getting lawyers after you...

Does anyone know, was that "bandwidth upgrade" they just installed the same thing that carl stinson was talking about when he mentioned them changing carriers? 'Cos the two things are completely different-sounding things...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭CitySickness

Ripwave wrote:
    The guy asked about a rumoured upgrade, and was told that they had heard about it unofficially, and that if he wanted to find out more specifics, he'd have to talk to Charles.

Yeah, you're right, that was pretty unprofessional. They should have been told that there is no information available about any planned upgrade.

Actually, just to clarify: I didn't mention anything about any upgrade, I just called to inform them that I was having consistently high pings, that this was completely unsatisfactory for a broadband product, and asked if there was anything being done to remedy the issue.

Their response, basically, was: ring Charles in 3 days' time.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,940 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Paddy20 wrote:
    Remember Eircom was a public utility robbed from the citizens of the Irish Republic, and is now even a registered business in London, as it still continues to fleece telephone and internet user's here in the ROI.

im no eircom lover but despite all their other faults i choose them because they have a broadband service that works really well 100% of the time just like any other european broadband company, throwing money at a service which rarely works and never really been fixed is a far greater robbery imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 229 ✭✭PcP

Paddy20 wrote:
    I'm considering moving back to them again. After years of trying to get broadband, I finally got connected with UTV last September and it's been more hassle than it's worth. Every time it runs smooth for a bit, and you just start getting used to it, getting involved in clan matches etc. and it goes to absolute rubbish again (pings unplayable for last 5/6 weeks this time around). This is how it's been since last year but complaining about it does nothing, you just get branded a whinger/moaner or told to quit blaming UTV because it's Eircoms fault.

I'm sick of it all at this stage and just want to pay my money and have a service that works. If that means going back to Eircon then so be it :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

Just to be clear, I haven't called anyone that is complaining about specific aspects of UTVs (or other isps) service a moaner. From the evidence I've seen here it's perfectly fair to want to complain about the clear inadequacys of the service.

On the other hand I do object to people, who shall remain namesless, thinking that this forum is soley here to enable them to continue to grind their axe against whichever isp they feel they've been wronged by. By some of the posts here you'd swear boards.ie or the moderators of this forum were the ones providing the crap services.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭jonski

Paddy20 wrote:

hi , ah , erm , my name is John , and I'm totally crazy .

I a big child and I want to play games online in the evening , specifically first person shooters where milli seconds count . There is , to me anyway , no real difference between a ping of 60ms and 99 ms on f6 ( don't have the L337 Skilz {think thats how u say it } ) but there is a massive difference between eircoms reputed 45ms and utv's current 200 ms . So off back to the big bad wolf with me .

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Paddy20 wrote:
    Remember Eircom was a public utility robbed from the citizens of the Irish Republic,

Just to put the record straight. Eircom was not a public utility robbed from the citizens of the Irish republic.

Eircom was a semi state company which the Government of the day decided to make a public company and in the process generated a considerable amount of money on behalf of the taxpayer which is held to pay future pensions. So Eircom was sold for a considerable amount of money. Whether that decision was a good or bad one is a different matter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

What about IOL, digiweb, or any of the other providers, jonski? IOL seems to on average ping as well as eircom, with the added benefit of it being a good few euros a month less and double the cap.

Apologies for the delay in posting about the ongoing RoI bandwidth issues.

The bandwidth upgrade that I posted about at the start of last month took
    place but due to ongoing demand did not resolve all the issues that have
    been reported here and directly into support.

Today I have been given confirmation of further work that is scheduled to
    start mid month and we expect that by the end of the month that we should
    have a total resolution of the reported increased pings and slow downloads.

I appreciate that this issue has been causing major problems for users of
    our ADSL service and I will try to keep everyone updated as the month
    progresses.

Charles

So this basically means that UTV are incapable of managing their bandwidth requirements and we are now to hang on for another month to get the proper service.

It is only a few months now since Martin was promising in the newsgroup that when the Esat debacle was sorted out all problems would be sorted.

With the best will in the world how can anyone take these sort of assurances seriously? To say on the 4th of a month that by the end of the month everything should be sorted out is really really stretching it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭flamegrill

First of all, I'd like to say that I feel the people who have issue with UTV have a right to air their feelings. However I laugh, out loud infact, at the people who threaten lawyers etc.

UTV have no legal obligation to provide 512kbit/s to anyone of you at anyone time, it is understood by you the end user that the contention is up to 48 to 1 and a minimum of 24 to 1.

So I feel as long as the service works, in anyway shape or fashion where you can browse web sites and download files they are fullfilling their part of the agreement.

But anyways, UTV have been praised for their upfrontness in the past, and I still feel they have made a huge dent in the market.

I would also like to point out that Eircom are at fault for UTV service degrading. Now this is indirectly of course, but in the north BT enforce the contention, while in the south Eircom do not. This obviously causes problems, where a small amount of users can degrade the service down here, where as in the north the contention kicks in and the service can run on lesser resources. In time contention will kick in down south, so it will all we well then.

Paul

andrew163 wrote:
    what i was saying was, yes, their product is absolute crap, and needs to be fixed. But the people on this board bitching about the customer service side..i.e. not replying to every single post they make on the newsgroups about the same issue over and over again... aren't helping matters. They communicate with customers about problems alot more then any other ISPs would..

the last time I remember UTV going down was when the esat end of it failed and IOL was down aswell. I didn't hear ANYTHING about IOL explaining the problem to customers or even mentioning it. Yet the UTV newsgroup had updates from customer service regularly until the service went back up again.

Just cos they don't waste their time making blank posts when they have no new information to give doesn't mean the world is ending..

that said, and ill mention this again for the third time to avoid misunderstandings, their product IS sub-standard and imo not of merchantable quality, it desperatly needs to be fixed.

In response to the post charles just made on the newsgroups....
    Hurry up UTV and fix the problem. Before people start getting lawyers after you...

Does anyone know, was that "bandwidth upgrade" they just installed the same thing that carl stinson was talking about when he mentioned them changing carriers? 'Cos the two things are completely different-sounding things...

I dont think anyone expects a reply to every single post on the newsgroup - however people have been complaining about pings for several months now on the newsgroup and there has been absolutely no response from UTV and that lack of response is infuriating.

For some reason UTV waver from giving regular attention to the support newsgroup to ingnoring it completely for weeks at a time. Some time ago UTV stated in the newsgroup that they were beefing up their support and we could expect to see some new faces in the newsgroup but it never happened.

All most people look to the newsgroup for are general statements of what is going on. When UTV do that it helps take pressure of their own support and keeps customers informed of whats happening.

And the bandwidth upgrade is not what Carl was talking about afaik they are looking at a complete change away from their current provider which would be a huge step for them to take I am sure and I dread to think what it might mean for customers while it was going on.

Moriarty wrote:
    What about IOL, digiweb, or any of the other providers, jonski? IOL seems to on average ping as well as eircom, with the added benefit of it being a good few euros a month less and double the cap.

Did a fair bit of reading and searching through these boards before I made my decision and tbh there are very little complaints about the actual quality of service from eircom . So I have decided to be selfish and pay the little extra and pamper myself .

In fairness I don't want to make the same mistake again . Most of the hardcore gamers told me I was mad to go with UTV in the first place and if its the best pings I want then I should go with eircom .

John

ps : it was not a decision taken lightly , if anyone here recalls I was part of a fairly large group of people that waited for UTV to go bb because I was grateful to them for what they had done in the market place , and even when they messed up my order I hung in there and waited the extra 6 weeks , ( and before anyone pipes in , yes I know they were also cheaper but if I was motivate by money I wouldn't be going back to eircom )

man ,, that was a long ps , sorry .

John.

flamegrill wrote:
    would also like to point out that Eircom are at fault for UTV service degrading. Now this is indirectly of course, but in the north BT enforce the contention, while in the south Eircom do not. This obviously causes problems, where a small amount of users can degrade the service down here, where as in the north the contention kicks in and the service can run on lesser resources. In time contention will kick in down south, so it will all we well then.

Paul

Can you prove that Eircom are at fault? People are forever making wild claims like this without any evidence whatsoever - at the time of the Esat debacle there were similar claims but it turned out that Eircom had nothing to do with it. If UTV on their own admission cannot manage their bandwidth then how can Eircom be blamed.

And if it was question of contention then the problem would be much less widespread and other ISP customers would be equally affected as, if I understand the contention thing properly, UTV customers share with other ISP customers as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭Paddy20

Dub45,

Oh, what it must be like to be young. I remember when our 'state owned' telecomunications was a public utility called the P&T i.e. Post & Telegraph.

How it was changed I do not know, as I was abroad for very many years.

Anyway, back on topic. I do not play games online. Therefore, I probably have no idea of online gamers requirements in relation to speed etc, but I can sympathise with those who are not getting the service they require, at this time.

I hope thing's improve very quickly, but I still blame one ISP for the state of our broadband infrastructure in the Republic.

Good luck.

Paddy20 wrote:
    I do not play games online.

Well for gods sake paddy , do you not think its about time you started ! I mean you are not getting any younger and its all about reflexes ! Meet me in #boards.ie and I'll take you through the joy of been beaten by spotty L337 kids in call of duty !

ah , erm , I'm WAITING!

I have just been informed by a spotty kid that it should of course read '1337' and not l337 . good god what was I thinking!

Paddy20 wrote:
    Dub45,

Oh, what it must be like to be young. I remember when our 'state owned' telecomunications was a public utility called the P&T i.e. Post & Telegraph.

How it was changed I do not know, as I was abroad for very many years.

Anyway, back on topic. I do not play games online. Therefore, I probably have no idea of online gamers requirements in relation to speed etc, but I can sympathise with those who are not getting the service they require, at this time.

I hope thing's improve very quickly, but I still blame one ISP for the state of our broadband infrastructure in the Republic.

Good luck.

Paddy20 you were back in Ireland when Eircom went public.

And the basic broadband structure has absolutely nothing to do with UTV's current problems otherwise all isps and their customers would be experiencing them.

That's not to say that Eircom have not got a lot to answer for or course.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

sppedtest.jpg

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭NeoSlicerZ

where is the speed test ?

NeoSlicerZ wrote:
    where is the speed test ?

The ''speed'' test is at www.u.tv/speedtest

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭tomk

dub45 wrote:
    it is likely based on past experience that your speed will take a dive again tonight after 8pm or so.

Spot on, dub, I'm afraid - it's 11.00pm, and downloads are wavering between 10 and 20KB/s.

tomk wrote:
    Spot on, dub, I'm afraid - it's 11.00pm, and downloads are wavering between 10 and 20KB/s.

I would much prefer to have been wrong and for us both and all the other Clicksilver people to be motoring at full throttle. However what I did not anticipate in my direst imaginings was that UTV could with a straight face (or whatever passes for a straight face in cyberspace) ask us to hold on to the end of the month for things to improve! :rolleyes: :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭OHP

I know I should not even be posting here as an ISDN user. But I have the same problems all be it on a much smaller scale. I opened my own thread about it here. And I feel it is not just a BB users complaint/s, that UTV are lacking in their services and support and that everyone should get together as a group and approach UTV about it.

OHP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Did any other clicksilver users get knocked offline for about an hour around 11 o clock? I did, but when i eventually managed to reconnect pings have improved dramatically -- though that is quite possibly due to it being after midnight :mad:

I am back on 56k atm , it's been down here since 12 , so 30 minutes , anyone else getting this ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

john - check utv.support.

• Advertisement

jonski wrote:
    I am back on 56k atm , it's been down here since 12 , so 30 minutes , anyone else getting this ?

John,

It would seem that everyone has been knocked off from 10 mins up to an hour however on return speed and pings have improved drastically............but as someone has pointed out it is after 12 now so we will have to wait and see how long this miracle lasts. Keep the modem though at least until you leave us for Eircom! :confused:

Advertisement